CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

re Sony XDCAM "F-Series and PDW series" forum

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Cookre Sony XDCAM "F-Series and PDW series" forum
by on Feb 25, 2012 at 7:32:32 pm

Hello COW team,

I hope this is the correct place for this inquiry..

Would it be possible to rename the "Sony F Series and PDW Series camcorders' forum to something more appropriate, such as "Sony XDCAM Optical Disc and related.."?

The issue is that there are two distinct flavors of XDCAM-- XDCAM EX and XDCAM Optical Disc. The "PDW" prefix refers to optical disc models. The majority of the optical XDCAM inquiries and discussions end up in the XDCAM EX forum because most users look for things tagged 'XDCAM' and don't even notice the more obscurely named "PDW and F-Series" forums.

Also, grouping "PDW and F-Series" together is a bit of a stretch as, in Sony nomenclature, all the "F" in the model number indicates is native 24p support, 'Cine-Alta' branding and a target market of more cinema-style shooting and workflow. (The 'F' stands for 'Frame'). Years ago when there was only one F-Series camcorder (the F900) this might have made sense but today it would include:

HDW-F900R
F35
F65
PMW-F3 (also an XDCAM EX, i.e. PMW- model)
PDW-F800
PDW-F350/355
PDW-F330/335

There are also a number of XDCAM optical camcorders/decks that aren't specifically branded with the 'F' and may or may not support 24p depending on the configuration:

PDW-530
PDW-700
PDW-HD1500 deck
PDW-U1/U2 drive
PDW-HR1 deck
XDS- (XDCAM Station) models

I think the community would be better served if XDCAM Optical had its own home. The EX forum is a heavily trafficked one and is already tough to keep up with. I understand this raises additional questions about breaking other models out into their own forums but at present my main concern is moving the large # of optical disc questions into the correct area.

Thanks,

Ian Cook
Sony Broadcast and Professional Services

Return to posts index

Ronald LindeboomRe: re Sony XDCAM "F-Series and PDW series" forum
by on Feb 26, 2012 at 1:15:48 am

Hello Ian,

You are always free to tell us where and how to name the nomenclature. It is appreciated.

We usually wait until the users prod us with cattle-prods or sharp sticks, a few have been known to dip them in tallow or lard before setting them aflame.

Thank you for the feedback, it is appreciated. The forums have been changed, check them out and please tell us if you feel it should be another way.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
A 2011 FOLIO: 40 honoree as one of the 40 most influential publishers in America
http://www.creativecow.net

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

"Incompetence has never prevented me from plunging in with enthusiasm."
- Woody Allen

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those that matter, don't mind -- and those that mind, don't matter." - Dr. Seuss

Return to posts index

Ian CookRe: re Sony XDCAM "F-Series and PDW series" forum
by on Feb 26, 2012 at 2:57:11 am

Hi Ronald,

Thanks for the quick response and for making the change. I think this will be good going forward. I've posted in both forums to let everyone know. We'll see how it goes from here.

Cheers,

Ian

Return to posts index

Jason BrownRe: re Sony XDCAM "F-Series and PDW series" forum
by on Feb 26, 2012 at 3:34:40 pm

I think this is a good idea.

I'm looking forward to a big announcement in regards to how apple is going to handle optical media!?! ;)

Return to posts index

by on Feb 26, 2012 at 11:38:42 pm

thanks.

we'll be showing the FCP X workflows for both optical XDCAM and EX at NAB.

Return to posts index

Jason BrownRe: re Sony XDCAM "F-Series and PDW series" forum
by on Feb 26, 2012 at 11:43:05 pm

I'm not able to make it this year, so I'll be watching online please post anything relevant in this forum. Thanks!!! :)

Return to posts index

Edwin SewastynowiczRe: re Sony XDCAM "F-Series and PDW series" forum
by on Jan 30, 2015 at 10:27:22 am

Ian,
I am using the Sony PMW-200 in UDF 422 50mb/sec. mode. My audio is not coming through in Adobe Premiere Pro CS 6. I only get one audio channel, not the 8 that I should get. This only happens when I automate to sequence all of my clips. If I drag them individually the 8 channels of audio are there, but this would take forever. Is there a solution to my problem that you know of?
Thanks,
Ed

Return to posts index

by on Jan 30, 2015 at 4:10:08 pm

currently no, the 8 channels are always there when you import or link via the media browser but it is up to Adobe to map them in the automated sequence. all the metadata they need to do so is there. i can check and see if this behavior is different in CC if you want to post your exact steps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]