CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

Unwanted scrolling?

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark SuszkoUnwanted scrolling?
by on Nov 3, 2011 at 7:22:54 pm

I don't know if this is a bug in my browser or what, but when I am composing a longer post in the text box of a COW discussion page, it acts as if some ghost is remotely scrolling the copy up and down randomly to read over my shoulder, right as I am editing, typing, or inserting characters into a word or sentence. I will have scrolled down several paragraphs to the bottom, say, and as I'm placing my cursor to fix a misspelled "the", the darn thing suddenly rolls up to the middle of the unfinished post!

This seems to happen in both directions: if I'm correcting something on the first sentence of the post, the thing will run away on me and dive to near the middle of the post, completely un-requested by me. It's sometimes very frustrating and has cause me to take twice as long to write something, as it normally should.

Again, I don't know if this is a bug caused by my browser, or something other people see when they make longer, multi-paragraph postings. Thought I should mention it here though.

Return to posts index

Abraham ChaffinRe: Unwanted scrolling?
by on Nov 3, 2011 at 7:29:58 pm

Hello Mark,

Thank you for letting us know about this.

What browser are you using?

Is this happening when using the bold, italic or other formatting buttons or just when typing?

Abraham

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Unwanted scrolling?
by on Nov 3, 2011 at 8:26:27 pm

Microsoft internet explorer on PC. I use another browser at home, am trying to remember if it happens there as well. I don't clearly recall at the moment, will post an update if it happens there as well.

This happens before any font tricks or anything, just typing in the box. When I type enough that the box requires a scroll bar, the effect starts to happen, and gets worse the larger the post gets.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 3, 2011 at 8:40:05 pm

Hello Mark,

Thank you for the feedback on this. I'll run a few tests and see what I can find.

Abraham

Return to posts index

by on Nov 3, 2011 at 9:33:09 pm

Hello Mark,

Been trying to recreate the problem using ie9 without any luck. Are you using ie8?

I found this thread awhile back which seems to be a similar issue and ended up being a bug in ie8 relating to HTML5 Doctype, textareas and other odd content on the page:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/37/856991

Unfortunately that bug doesn't seem to be the same in ie9 or was maybe was fixed as I can't recreate it using that browser. I no longer have ie8. Based on that thread the ie8 bug didn't seem to be something feasible to work around.

Using the text manipulation tools does seem to jump the cursor in different ways in different browsers and I'm going to look at that now. The issue you're experiencing sounds different then this though since you say it is happening when typing or simply editing text.

Abraham

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Unwanted scrolling?
by on Nov 3, 2011 at 10:45:00 pm

Pretty sure the work browser is IE 8, they don't update things very fast.

I just tried it at home with mac/ safari, and not seeing the same problem, so that seems to narrow it down to a bug in my browser.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 3, 2011 at 10:58:57 pm

Hello Mark,

Thank you for letting us know.

The other bug I mentioned before regarding caret position and using the formatting tools has now been fixed.

Unfortunately the ie8 bug will take a browser upgrade. If not for a better browsing experience, tell them you need a newer browser to protect the business from zero day exploits.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/MS10-002

Abraham

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]