CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

16 Ad pages to get to the page I wanted

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick McBurney16 Ad pages to get to the page I wanted
by on Sep 16, 2011 at 3:39:00 pm

Dear Creative Cow Team,

Just want to let you know I love you site, and i find it very useful day to day, but I just had to click through 16 of your ad pages to get to the tutorial I wanted! The tutorial was linked from another site which may affect it but 16 ads is pretty excessive right?

Just thought id let you know because ive seen your ad pages before and it did seem a bit usual to have to click through so many to get to the page I wanted.

Regards
Nick

Return to posts index

Ronald LindeboomRe: THE REFERRING SITE LINKED TO THE COW HIGHJACKED YOUR BROWSER
by on Sep 16, 2011 at 4:12:19 pm

Nick,

It looks as if when you clicked the link from the site that was listing our content, THEY highjacked your browser and ran a spam script on you. It sure wasn't coming from here.

There have NEVER been TWO ads in a row to get to anything in our site, let alone 16. And there is ALWAYS a "skip this ad" link both above and below the ad. We do not hide the links as Yahoo and others do when they have interstitial ads.

If you did not have an easy "skip this ad" link above and below the ads, they were not coming from us and they were not our ads.

It is very rare for anything even akin to something like this actually happening at the COW and when an ad issue arises it is always one of three things:
  • Either you have turned off cookies in your browser, or
  • You have not updated your browser software in a long time and are running a version that has little support for the new HTML protocols, or
  • You are running ad blocking and anti-spam/spyware software that always screws up sites like ours that have ads.

But I suspect that the site you mentioned that had a link to our site highjacked your browser when you clicked the link they had pointing to our content.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
A 2011 FOLIO: 40 honoree as one of the 40 most influential publishers in America
http://www.creativecow.net

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

"Incompetence has never prevented me from plunging in with enthusiasm."
- Woody Allen

Return to posts index

Nick McBurneyRe: 16 Ad pages to get to the page I wanted
by on Sep 16, 2011 at 4:22:02 pm

Hi Ronald thanks for the quick responce, I am running the latest firefox (7.0 beta), have no ad blockers and my cookies are enabled.

I was clicking the 'skip this ad links' and it just kept bring up more, not sure why it would do so and like I said I havnt encountered this problem before but perhaps it has something to with my firefox beta version. Its not a massive problem just thought I should let you know incase it was something at your end, but from the sounds of it, its something to do with me, anyway hope it doesnt happen again (it wouldnt stop be visiting your site again if it did though) :)

Return to posts index

Ronald LindeboomRe: 16 Ad pages to get to the page I wanted
by on Sep 16, 2011 at 4:31:34 pm

I used Firefox beta software ONCE. It created so many weird issues for me that I got off the beta and quit using anything except for the full release version.

I suspect that with Apple trying to control ad banners in Safari under Lion, that perhaps Firefox is now messing with them, as well.

But it is definitely not something that we want to do to our audience. Man, we'd hate it ourselves and so we would never make our members have to jump through 16 pages of ads before they could get to their content.

Thank you for the report.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
A 2011 FOLIO: 40 honoree as one of the 40 most influential publishers in America
http://www.creativecow.net

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

"Incompetence has never prevented me from plunging in with enthusiasm."
- Woody Allen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]