CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

Video re-encoded against my will

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason JenkinsVideo re-encoded against my will
by on Aug 12, 2011 at 9:25:04 pm

I'm trying to upload a video and even though I have "re-encode my video" unchecked, the system re-encodes my video anyway. Haven't had this problem before.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Abraham ChaffinRe: Video re-encoded against my will
by on Aug 12, 2011 at 9:46:06 pm

Hello Jason,

The text you are referring to was changed a little while ago, the new text reads. "Make Original Uncompressed Video Available, it is setup for the Flash Player / H.264."

Doing this keeps the original video untouched and makes it available for people to view, just not the default version.

When we allowed the default version to be the original uploaded file there were many complaints from people when playback didn't work. Most often the original file was not ready for web playback and this still is the case when people check the box. We've found the best result has been to re-encode at a super high quality, keeping the original size (up to 1920W) and a good compression rate.

Abraham

Return to posts index

Jason JenkinsRe: Video re-encoded against my will
by on Aug 13, 2011 at 4:54:23 am

So, it's a 'save-people-who-don't-know-what-they're-doing-from-themselves' kind of thing. Makes sense. Thanks, Abraham!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Ronald LindeboomRe: Video re-encoded against my will
by on Aug 13, 2011 at 10:59:34 pm

Yes, Jason, we kept getting the "Hey! Your videos don't work!$#@!" complaint, when they did. The viewer just didn't have the latest version of their playback software, or something else wrong on their system that kept it from working.

Now, by making the high-rez the default version and offering the original version (as uploaded) a choice, it has brought the complaints to near nil.

Thank you for your understanding, Jason.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

"Incompetence has never prevented me from plunging in with enthusiasm."
- Woody Allen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]