CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

Tired of the "Taxi Driver" thread domination of too many forums.

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill DavisTired of the "Taxi Driver" thread domination of too many forums.
by on May 13, 2011 at 10:34:24 pm

Dear Cow Team,

I totally GET that you're proud of your new hire and have nothing but respect for Ms. Kaufman's work.

HOWEVER

I doubt I'm alone in feeling that my participation is predicated on the fact that I can drop by, find posts and subjects that are interesting to read - or perhaps subjects where I feel I can make a useful contribution - then go back to my editing or life at large.

For the past couple of weeks - in forum after forum that I've come to feel best fit my participation - the list has been dominated by cross posting of the Taxi Driver exchanges.

Look, I know this stuff is of interest to a lot of people. And Ronald and Kathlyn, it's YOUR board to do with as you like (You too, Tim) But I think making it more and more a "Big Hollywood Movie" oriented environment will eventually push out a lot of people who simply come here to exchange ideas about a more ecumenical swath of the production arts.

While I am fine with having topics such as this cross my view now and then - the constant domination of multiple threads via cross posting this entire huge thread has negatively impacted my recent use and participation in the Cow Forums.

I bring this up because as a small business person myself, I know that feedback, ESPECIALLY "negative" comments are often the ONLY way we learn that something we're doing is having a less than positive impact on our customers.

Thanks for listening.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Conner

Return to posts index

Ronald LindeboomRe: Tired of the "Taxi Driver" thread domination of too many forums.
by on May 14, 2011 at 5:18:23 am

Thank you for the feedback, Bill. Yes, we are indeed delighted to have Debra working with us but as you say, the popularity of the threads cross-posted across so many forums have become very long and do take over many of the forums, even some of the busiest ones. I had noticed that myself and meant to talk to the team about a solution.

I think the solution is to make these notices "sticky posts" as they do not show the threads, they are merely there at the top of the forums for people to either read or not. That way, we get to point out what we feel is a great article, and it gets done without it taking over the board in some of our forums.

Unfortunately, I cannot get this done after a thread is posted in the manner in which it was done, it must be set up properly in the beginning. We'll get the mechanism changed so that this doesn't happen in the future. Me, I think the best solution is a stick post that stays stick for a prescribed period of time and then drops off automatically. That way, we cover all the bases in a way that works for the greatest number of people.

Thanks again, Bill. Constructive criticism is ALWAYS welcome.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

"Incompetence has never prevented me from plunging in with enthusiasm."
- Woody Allen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]