CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

Using the forums?

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris SgaraglinoUsing the forums?
by on Jan 30, 2011 at 4:10:51 pm

I have been a software programmer for 17 years and I have used and built forms for more than 20 years, but I find these forums extremely confusing?

With all these threads and topics, there does not seem to be any place to get help on using your forums or site?

Where are my posts going? How long do I have to wait befor I can actually post?

There are far to many topics to manage, I assume that Favorite Forums is there to help in this management, but I cannot figure out how to get a form I like into the list?

How do I set the defaults so that I will be emailed as soon as someone posts to a thread I create or a thread I have posted to?

I tried to add an RSS feed to my Google account, but all I get is the title - no body of the post, how do I fix this?

How can I get to / keep track of my own activity? I looked at activity under my account, and there is only one link ther?

Again, is there any lace online, on your help forums to get help, well for your one forums?

---
Warm Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
Outdoor Studios Photography || on Flickr || on Twitter

Return to posts index

Ronald LindeboomRe: Using the forums?
by on Jan 30, 2011 at 7:14:42 pm

[Chris Sgaraglino] "I have been a software programmer for 17 years and I have used and built forms for more than 20 years, but I find these forums extremely confusing?"

Probably because they don't work the way your forums do and so what you are expecting to happen, doesn't. I would more than likely say the same thing about your forums were I to try to use them.

[Chris Sgaraglino] "With all these threads and topics, there does not seem to be any place to get help on using your forums or site?"

It is a really old page that is found in our ABOUT US section that you can visit here. We are in the midst of a major recode of our entire system and will have the new site live shortly.

[Chris Sgaraglino] "There are far too many topics to manage, I assume that Favorite Forums is there to help in this management, but I cannot figure out how to get a forum I like into the list?"

When you get a million-and-a-half users interacting each month, there are bound to be too many threads and posts to manage. That is the reason for the major redesign of everything that drives the COW. It isn't just an interface redesign we are working on, it is a revolutionary new kind of forum system specifically developed to serve the needs of a major site that gets so much traffic, and aggregates data more quickly and succinctly for those who are looking for specific topics.

How do you now add forums to your favorites list? There are pulldowns in your user account profile that you can assign and add as many as you want. Look in your user settings.

[Chris Sgaraglino] "How do I set the defaults so that I will be emailed as soon as someone posts to a thread I create or a thread I have posted to?"

There are two ways to do this: one, is in your user profile and allows you to get them universally for anything you post; the other is if you do not want to be notified every time you post, then you can set the notices in the reply/post box found in any of our forums. There, you can set it for that post uniquely, if you wish.

[Chris Sgaraglino] "I tried to add an RSS feed to my Google account, but all I get is the title - no body of the post, how do I fix this?"

If we gave everything that is in this site as an RSS feed, there would be no need to have this site as we couldn't afford to run it and we could just pull the plug and all go home. We have no plans to give it all away. Sorry.

[Chris Sgaraglino] "How can I get to / keep track of my own activity? I looked at activity under my account, and there is only one link there?"

Just click on your name. It will take you to your profile page. There is only as many posts as you have made that will be found there. If it's one post, that is what will be there -- one post.

I hope this answers your questions, Chris.

We built this system for our friends and have grown the functionality over the last 15 years. Yes, we know it's tired and we believe that in 3 to 5 years, probably only about 25% of our traffic will be web-based, the vast majority will come from hand-held devices. To that end, we are developing a far more robust and innovative forums architecture that is unlike anything we have ever seen on the net. It's been a major undertaking to prepare millions of posts and hundreds and hundreds of systems with thousands of scripts to get it all ready to pour it all into a new wrapper interface. But that's what we have been up to.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

"Incompetence has never prevented me from plunging in with enthusiasm."
- Woody Allen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]