CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

Tutorial Intro Design Contest?

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John CuevasTutorial Intro Design Contest?
by on Jan 6, 2011 at 2:13:05 pm

I saw a posting about this in Decemember, started working on something...but now I can't find the original post. Has the contest been called off, put on hold?

Thanks

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

Post removed.

Ronald LindeboomRe: Tutorial Intro Design Contest?
by on Jan 6, 2011 at 8:17:55 pm

The contest has been killed as we got so many complaints from people who thought that entering a contest with two $5000 winners was not ethical. We were only looking at it from the point of view of a community site in which a contest SEEMED like fun and we figured that people who didn't want to play, wouldn't. But from all of the flack that we took, we decided to kill the idea of this kind of contest.

We are just going to put it up as an RFP in our job section. People can then point us to examples of their work and we'll just hire the person we want who has a style we like.

Our apologies, but we do listen and learn from our audience.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

"Incompetence has never prevented me from plunging in with enthusiasm."
- Woody Allen

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Tutorial Intro Design Contest?
by on Jan 6, 2011 at 8:22:54 pm

[Ronald Lindeboom] "we got so many complaints from people who thought that entering a contest with two $5000 winners was not ethical."

I don't understand that logic at all. Very strange indeed. Where does ethics enter into the matter? If you didn't award the prizes, that would be unethical. But, sponsoring a contest with cash prizes is done all the time. Very odd!

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Ronald LindeboomRe: Tutorial Intro Design Contest?
by on Jan 6, 2011 at 8:27:20 pm

People complained that we were "crowd-sourcing" and that crowdsourcing is unethical because a whole bunch of people are going to do and submit work and only two are going to win.

Some suggested that we give everyone who entered $100 just to enter, if we did that we'd get to turn off the lights on this site, tomorrow.

Oh well.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

"Incompetence has never prevented me from plunging in with enthusiasm."
- Woody Allen

Return to posts index

by on Jan 6, 2011 at 8:54:44 pm

[Ronald Lindeboom] "People complained that we were "crowd-sourcing" and that crowdsourcing is unethical because a whole bunch of people are going to do and submit work and only two are going to win."

The PGA tour has a cut after the first two days of every tournament, and those who fail to make the cut get absolutely zip, nada, nothing for their time, travel, and other expenses. And, the PGA tour can and does license the likenesses of every competitor, even those who don't make the cut. They are the very best in the world at what they do, yet they understand that competitions are about winning and losing.

Typically, no matter what the competition, those who produce the winning effort are rewarded, those who don't are happy to have tried their best. I'm disappointed that some of our Cows think they're different or better than that.

David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Tutorial Intro Design Contest?
by on Jan 10, 2011 at 8:48:16 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Typically, no matter what the competition, those who produce the winning effort are rewarded, those who don't are happy to have tried their best. I'm disappointed that some of our Cows think they're different or better than that."

David, when you produce a corporate communications video, do you guess at what the client needs, do all the work, and then try to convince the client to buy it? If they don't buy, are you happy to have tried your best?

Or perhaps you prefer to work with your client, uncover their needs, develop a solution and a budget that address client needs, execute your solution, and do an iteration or two with the client's feedback to improve the work before delivering it?

I was not one of the folks who wrote in complaining about the contest, but crowd-sourcing, design contests, and spec work are hot topics in the design industry. There are a lot of designers and organizations who very reasonably believe that spec work is bad for the industry, both on the client side and the agency/designer side.

Designers who participate in spec work contests are not very different from video producers who underprice because they don't understand their true costs. In both cases, people work below cost, creating unreasonably and unsustainably low pricing expectations for clients. In the case of spec work, they are not only devaluing the product, but they are also skipping the part of the design process that actually adds value for the client.

That's my problem with most so-called design contests -- they short-circuit the design process. Just like video production, design may be a product from the client's point of view, but it's a process from the designer's point of view. Good design comes from research, dialogue, and collaboration between the client and the designer. Contest winners tend to be pretty pictures. If they address all of the client's communication or branding needs (both stated and yet-to-be-discovered), it's usually accidental because there is no opportunity to work together to arrive at the best solution.

Personally, I was looking forward to seeing the details on the COW contest, and I'd agree that it was totally unfair for people to complain about it before they were released.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Alperen T. AyhanRe: Tutorial Intro Design Contest?
by on Jan 7, 2011 at 10:05:11 am

This is sad actually but I respect to decision of CreativeCow Team.. So, I wonder if hiring will be global or local? and I think there will be lot's of entries when you post the announce as an RFP, how will you be able to control all of the works? Eg. In general, works(reels) of my team are about vfx or introduction films but when we received the newsletter, we did totaly different style work.. Anyway I like CreativeCow; I have learned lot's of things(tutorials, articles, blogs, forums etc) and earned money from job section much more than my local customers.. Actually, after all these knowledge earnings, I just wanted to do something for CreativeCow.. If I were the winner, I would buy 11 students edition of Adobe Suits and donate them to 11 successful students, then make them join the creativecow community..
Thanks in advance
Alp

Alperen T. AYHAN
http://www.produck.net
Always cinema...

Return to posts index

by on Jan 7, 2011 at 4:02:47 pm

[Alperen T. Ayhan] "This is sad actually but I respect to decision of CreativeCow Team."

Oh, I respect the decision, but I have a hard time respecting the whiners who made it necessary. Writers produce full-blown 120-page motion picture scripts for some competitions, so Ron's initial idea for a competition isn't exactly without precedent.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Alperen T. AyhanRe: Tutorial Intro Design Contest?
by on Jan 8, 2011 at 1:46:10 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Oh, I respect the decision, but I have a hard time respecting the whiners who made it necessary. Writers produce full-blown 120-page motion picture scripts for some competitions, so Ron's initial idea for a competition isn't exactly without precedent."

Yeah, exactly I agree with you... This would be just a funny contest, not ambitious(or greedy) I think.. and I don't think CreativeCow makes "crowd-sourcing", It's the one of the huge community that serves encouragement for all beginner and professional people.. Money is not everything!.. as John said "upload it and if you like it, feel free to use it. I've gotten way more than 5000 dollars worth of value from your site." This is priceless for me too...

Alperen T. AYHAN
http://www.produck.net
Always cinema...

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Tutorial Intro Design Contest?
by on Jan 7, 2011 at 2:14:32 pm

Wow, people will find a reason to complain about anything...

Well, I'll just go ahead and finish my design anyway, upload it and if you like it, feel free to use it. I've gotten way more than 5000 dollars worth of value from your site.

Happy New Year Cow!

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

Fred JodryRe: Tutorial Intro Design Contest?
by on Jan 7, 2011 at 5:21:59 pm

Ron`s, learned, idea seems the best as practical to me although one possibility would be an intermediate contest where first entries are no cash and judged, and level winners can then bust a gut for a reasonable $8 for the next work entry. One can earn $100 in my area by mowing 50 lawns (other work varying or cheats) so it`s one of the reminders how fast money leaks. For the complainers, besides the fact that I can`t find or make lots of big corks enough, why don`t you see if you can save some money by,
1. Turn off your all- day coffee pot at work. You`ll save that much electricity in a single month.
2. Restore a Radio Steel wagon for your kid instead of buying some plastic junk of the same price or worth. Money saved in a single project, $250 to 500.
Fred Jodry

Return to posts index

Steven KutnyRe: Tutorial Intro Design Contest?
by on Jan 8, 2011 at 3:29:12 am

I just finished my animation earlier tonight and now I'm finding out that the contest is canceled! Is there any place I can upload what I've done since I put some good time into it?

Thanks,

Steve

Steven Kutny
Digital Artist
http://www.stevenkutny.com

Return to posts index

Fred JodryRe: Tutorial Intro Design Contest?
by on Jan 8, 2011 at 3:46:43 am

The winners are your liking, needing public. Sell a distibution run and get paid yesterday. We professionals could see it after you get paid, not before.

Return to posts index

Steven KutnyRe: Tutorial Intro Design Contest?
by on Jan 8, 2011 at 3:11:23 pm

I just want to be clear that when I received your newsletter outlining the tutorial contest I was genuinely excited about creating something fun and cool for an online community I've respected for almost 10 years. A grand prize is always great but that was hardly a motivator for me. For anybody to complain about the ethics of a competition is absolutely ridiculous and should not ruin it for every other artist out there. I still don't understand this decision but please keep me posted on if and when we can upload our work. This was supposed to be a fun project that we as a community could laugh at and enjoy.

Steve

Steven Kutny
Digital Artist
http://www.stevenkutny.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]