CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

I'm embarrassed

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark SuszkoI'm embarrassed
by on Dec 24, 2010 at 3:42:53 am

I don't really think my brain-jar picon belongs up on the top there with the real pros in the "Broadcasting" forum. I'm honored, but I'm waaay under-qualified to be put on a banner with those guys. My take is that to rate being up there, you should have the engineering chops, probably an EE and/or an FCC ticket, and I don't. Not by a long shot. I think it implies a level of expertise I can't rightfully or honestly claim. If it's not too big a deal, Aaron, could you please put my jar back in the "nosebleed seats" of the Broadcasting forum, where I'm just another guy with an opinion, take it or not, as you wish.

I wouldn't want people to get the wrong impression of my skill level in engineering. Not when those other guys up there have put in the time and work to be there legitimately.

Return to posts index

Theo van LaarRe: I'm embarrassed
by on Dec 29, 2010 at 10:43:50 pm

Also in other fora, like the Vegas forum and the Photoshop forum, and even at this Communication feedback forum, the pictures are completely messed up. I guess something is wrong with the forum. I hope it is not a virus....

Theo

Return to posts index

Abraham ChaffinRe: I'm embarrassed
by on Dec 29, 2010 at 10:47:58 pm

Hello Theo,

What do you mean by "the pictures are completely messed up"? Can you post a screen show or elaborate on what you are experiencing?

Abraham

Return to posts index

by on Dec 29, 2010 at 10:52:23 pm

Theo

Return to posts index

by on Dec 29, 2010 at 10:55:46 pm

Theo

Return to posts index

by on Dec 29, 2010 at 10:57:44 pm

Theo

Return to posts index

by on Dec 29, 2010 at 11:02:28 pm

It started sometime ago in the Vegas forum, but now it pops up everywhere...
Also now a lot of people have the same black and white picture from old movies or so. And even this cow appears very frequently...

Theo

Return to posts index

by on Dec 30, 2010 at 1:13:06 am

The old movie and COW pics are images where the user hasn't uploaded their mug shot. Hopefully users will soon realize they should upload their mug shot so those pictures show up a little less frequently.

Abraham

Return to posts index

by on Dec 30, 2010 at 9:35:40 am

But also the names appear randomly on top of the fora. E.g: why does my name appear on top of the Communication Feedback forum?

Theo

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: I'm embarrassed
by on Dec 30, 2010 at 1:28:36 pm

Abraham, can you please take my pic off of the top of the Broadcast forum and put me back in the "cheap seats"? That's what this thread was about in the first place. I don't deserve to be up there with those guys. It implies a level of expertise in engineering that I don't rightly have a claim to.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 30, 2010 at 3:18:32 pm

Hello Mark,

Right now if we remove you from one forum we'd have to remove you from all forums which is probably why this hasn't been done yet. I'll discuss this further with the rest of the team.

Abraham

Return to posts index

by on Dec 30, 2010 at 3:15:51 pm

Hello Theo,

Your name appears on the top of the forum because you are a frequent poster in this forum.

Abraham

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: I'm embarrassed
by on Dec 30, 2010 at 4:56:20 pm

So, the photos going on the "masthead" of each forum are now getting there automatically, based on the volume of that person's contributions to posts?

That wasn't clear to me initially.

I still was working under the old assumption that the pictures on top were forum Leaders only. I liked it that way, myself, and I was happy just to be a "minister without portfolio", contributing where I can.

The way I figure it, the men and women on the top line are there because they are recognized experts with long lists of impressive credentials to point to and a credible professional background, so you can take their word on a subject as "gospel". Me, I'm just another guy with an opinion that you can take or leave, depending on if it works for you; I don't want to lay claims to expertise at levels equal to these other marvelous folks, and I wouldn't want them to get the impression I was posing as one of them. Especially Zelin, I think he might get physical about it:-) Seriously, I'm not worthy to hand the guy a greenie off the bench, I would not want someone to think I was his technical equal, or any of those fine leaders. I've not billed a million dollars a year to clients, or run a company for decades, I'm decidedly small fry, and just happy to be here at all, making contributions where I can.

Now, about the size of my dressing room, and the apalling state of the crudites tray and off-brand champagne being supplied....

Return to posts index

Ronald LindeboomWHAT'S UP WITH THE MECHANISM? Here's the answer
by on Dec 30, 2010 at 5:46:14 pm

Mark Suszko, et al:

We are changing the way that the Creative COW forums work and are introducing some of the backbone technology we've been creating to change the COW from a website-based community into one that is both web-based and able to completely reconstitute itself for people using iPads, iPhones, Android phones, Droid tablets, Blackberries, Palms, Nokias, etc. etc.

We see a COW that rather than being a bunch of fixed links that one must click and use back-and-forth hunting and pecking looking for things -- the COW mechanism of the days ahead will logically pull and "aggregate" data based on keywords, search terms, areas of prior interest, etc., so that we can assemble a COW that is 90% fat-free and far more pertinent to the person and the subjects they are interested in.

In order to achieve this goal, the site needs to be fluid, not fixed and static as it has been up to now. Part of this is in featuring the people who are the most helpful based on a subject.

We have been doing a bit of alpha-testing of some of the ideas during the holidays when traffic is light.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

"Incompetence has never prevented me from plunging in with enthusiasm."
- Woody Allen

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: WHAT'S UP WITH THE MECHANISM? Here's the answer
by on Dec 30, 2010 at 6:00:58 pm

Now it makes more sense, Ron. How come you're older than me, but always make me feel like I'm the old man who's technologically behind?;-)

And BTW we're still waiting to hear your TRON Legacy review in the film forum. You're obviously quite busy...or maybe it's a case of "If you can't say something nice..." ?

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: WHAT'S UP WITH THE MECHANISM? Here's the answer
by on Jan 3, 2011 at 5:33:49 am

Thanks for explaining, Ron. I understand and applaud the efforts to evolve the COW, but I also totally agree with Mark's concerns.

I'm very uncomfortable with my name showing up in the leaders row of the Digital Delivery forum just because I've posted a lot of questions there recently ... I'm simply not qualified as an expert/leader for the Digital Delivery topic.

Return to posts index

Ronald LindeboomRe: WHAT'S UP WITH THE MECHANISM? Here's the answer
by on Jan 3, 2011 at 11:39:45 pm

Hello David,

We are going to add a control that will allow users to remove themselves if they are uncomfortable with being featured in a forum. They will be able to choose settings in their profile that will be sitewide universal, or which will work on a forum-by-forum basis, so that members who may in uncomfortable with one forum but not another, can control their visage and interaction with the community.

Thank you for your feedback.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

"Incompetence has never prevented me from plunging in with enthusiasm."
- Woody Allen

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: WHAT'S UP WITH THE MECHANISM? Here's the answer
by on Jan 4, 2011 at 12:42:51 pm

Thank you, Ron. I look forward to the COW's continued growth ... and to being just another opinionated guy who arguably contributes a little bit to it.

Return to posts index

Bob ZelinRe: I'm embarrassed
by on Dec 31, 2010 at 5:30:09 pm

Mark writes -
"I don't really think my brain-jar picon belongs up on the top there with the real pros in the "Broadcasting" forum. I'm honored, but I'm waaay under-qualified to be put on a banner with those guys."

REPLY -
well, how do think I felt when I saw my picture next to Steve Modica of Small Tree in the SAN networks forum. This is the guy that is responsible for ethernet shared storage working for everyone - who the heck am I compared to him - yet, there is my picture, as a leader, next to him. Yes, it's embarassing (but hey, I'll take it !)

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Chad BrewerRe: I'm embarrassed
by on Jan 1, 2011 at 12:07:15 am

Mark, I agree with Bob.

In the Broadcasting forum which I thought should have remained the Broadcast Video forum, I was embarrassed when I first saw my video cable icon on the right of Bob's picture making it look like the cables were coming out of Bob's head!

I've read countless great, informative posts from you Mark, and pieces of paper that you can hang on the wall don't necessarily separate you from anyone else in this industry.

This is from your profile as a COW Leader:
"20-plus years writing, directing, shooting, editing"

Now I'm embarrassed.

I think we all go to bed at night smart and wake up in the morning stupid. If we do that everyday, that means we're keeping up with the industry.

Chad Brewer
Senior Broadcast Videotape Operator
TeleVersions, LLC

Return to posts index

Bob ZelinRe: I'm embarrassed
by on Jan 1, 2011 at 8:27:56 pm

Chad writes -
"I think we all go to bed at night smart and wake up in the morning stupid. If we do that everyday, that means we're keeping up with the industry."

GREAT first line of 2011. If you don't feel stupid on a regular basis, you are not keeping up. I feel stupid on a daily basis (but I feel good when I figure things out !)

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Rafael AmadorDigital Video expertise
by on Jan 3, 2011 at 1:23:55 pm

Mark,
We love to see you up there:-)
You have rise a very interesting matter: Digital Video expertise.
[Mark Suszko] "
The way I figure it, the men and women on the top line are there because they are recognized experts with long lists of impressive credentials to point to and a credible professional background, so you can take their word on a subject as "gospel"."

When I started on this business, almost everything was on the books; everything was standard; the information was open. Remember the Betacam's manuals and maintenance books: You could build your own desk with these schemes.

Digital Video has become the realm of the "proprietary format" and the secrets.
Manufactures can do whatever they want inside their boxes, as long as they output the promised standard.
We end up being "operators" of a technology that is locked to us:
- I have questions about SONY's MPEG-2 processing but probably the answers are considered "Classified" by SONY.
- I have questions about QT processing, but that info seems out of reach even from Third Part QT developers.
- etc,etc..
As a FC editor, the answers to most of my questions are not on any SMPTE document but on the Safe Box of a corporation.
I understand they have to protect their investments (and the, some times, questionable internal processes), but as a professional is absolutely frustrating and limiting.
The results are that there is NOBODY with all the answers. Reading and posting some of the best known Video-Gurus (Nattress, Wilt, Jordan,..), I found that they have some of the same basic questions, (as this humble-jungle video editor) unresolved.
Cheers,
rafael
PS: I just felt the same embarrassment than Mark when I saw my picture showing up on the RED Forum.
I've posted just to make a question. I've never worked with a RED or his footage.

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Olin PadillaRe: Digital Video expertise
by on Jan 21, 2011 at 9:04:55 pm

Here's a question. I accidentally removed myself from the leader board, so how do I get it back?

Return to posts index

Abraham ChaffinRe: Digital Video expertise
by on Jan 21, 2011 at 9:27:58 pm

You should be back now. There's no undo button for this right now so please only click remove if you want to be removed.

Abraham

Return to posts index

Olin PadillaRe: Digital Video expertise
by on Jan 21, 2011 at 9:29:47 pm

Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]