CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

Still images vs Video. Why do we have to choose?

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared CiconStill images vs Video. Why do we have to choose?
by on Oct 4, 2010 at 4:52:43 pm

Hi Ron,
I was prompted by a fellow Creative Cow member to post my thoughts here.
Recently, while planning pre-production for shooting a commercial, I was asked by the client to submit a proposal to shoot still images to be used on the web and for print advertisement. The client saw the benefit of shooting still images simultaneously during the commercial production (using the Canon 5D) that could be used at a later date for continuity of branding message. Having not shot still photography for almost five years (after a 17 year career as a wedding photographer), I knew I would need to brush up on the latest equipment available. Mind you , I had only used the 7D and 5D for video up to this point.

I needed to know the best way to sync up my 5D to strobe lights, and hopefully work with two parallel lighting systems while shooting the video commercial job. I posted a forum thread in what I thought was the most appropriate location on the COW relative to my need for information only to discover that Still Photography was really not given much attention here. To be frank, I received the distinct impression I was breaking some unspoken taboo by asking such questions. I was surprised to discover that the CC had no forums dealing with how the Canon could be used for dual purposes on the same shoot for the same client, or what were the best lighting techniques with which to employ the 5D/7D in a still photography application. I was a little surprised for a number of reasons: 1) CC is usually on the cutting edge of technology as it evolves, and 2) To me it seemed like a very practical inquiry since the 5D and 7D (and other Canon cameras, as well as other brands entering the marketplace) will allow this type of dual purpose image capturing ability moving forward.

Eventually I discovered/learned that the Kino Flo divas I already had, and that I would be using for the videography, were all that I needed to shoot both mediums (still and video). Thing is...I learned all of this wonderful information at a location other than Creative Cow. Something to consider.

Jared

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Still images vs Video. Why do we have to choose?
by on Oct 9, 2010 at 12:18:40 am

Jared,

As a frequent visitor to the DSLR forum, and a 7d user myself (I use it about 80% for stills and 20% for video), I agree that much of the emphasis around here is on motion video. However there are many creative people here - chances are those with the knowledge to answer just hadn't gotten around to your post yet. You see, we all have pretty busy jobs.

So please don't give up on the COW - there are many here who are out standing in their fields and happy to help.

FWIW, when I am shooting stills during a video shoot, I use the 7d for stills and a video camera for video. With tungsten, I do a lot of color correction on the stills. If shooting video with the 7d, I just do extra takes for stills.

Mike Cohen

Medical Education / Multimedia Producer

Return to posts index

Ronald LindeboomRe: Still images vs Video. Why do we have to choose?
by on Oct 9, 2010 at 2:49:15 am

[Jared Cicon] "I posted a forum thread in what I thought was the most appropriate location on the COW relative to my need for information only to discover that Still Photography was really not given much attention here. To be frank, I received the distinct impression I was breaking some unspoken taboo by asking such questions. I was surprised to discover that the CC had no forums dealing with how the Canon could be used for dual purposes on the same shoot for the same client, or what were the best lighting techniques with which to employ the 5D/7D in a still photography application."

Hello Jared,

I am a wee bit perplexed that there are people who would look down their noses at still photography here in this site, as we have always championed the idea that "the more brushes one has and the more diverse those brushes are, if practiced and the craft refined, the more skilled the painter will be."

I myself never call myself a videographer and never did, I call myself a communicator and always did. I do whatsoever the client needs to get their point across. If that is video great. If that is still photography, (which I am many times better at than video, having studied with two of the best still photography teachers in California for years), that is what I use. If it's print, great. If it's the web, let's go. If it's portable devices, well...I'm learning. ;o)

As the world changes, the more brushes one has, the better one is apt to be at putting food on one's table -- and that's a good thing. ;)

Please feel free to email me direct (the contact us link in the upper left will get you here) and send me your phone number, I'd appreciate the chance to chat and get your feedback, as we are always looking to make the COW better in the days ahead.

Thank you for your honest criticism, Jared. It is appreciated.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

"Incompetence has never prevented me from plunging in with enthusiasm."
- Woody Allen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]