CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

Not able to watch any of the new tutorials

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roland R. KahlenbergNot able to watch any of the new tutorials
by on Sep 27, 2010 at 6:10:33 pm

They either timeout without even playing a single frame or they timeout after a few minutes.

What datarates are being used for these videos?

I'm on Firefox and WinVista. Has anyone else had problems?

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Abraham ChaffinRe: Not able to watch any of the new tutorials
by on Sep 27, 2010 at 6:20:47 pm

Hello Roland,

Lately the videos have been around 500kb/s. When you say "timeout" is this something you see because the page itself isn't loading, the player isn't loading, or the video in the player isn't loading or are you not sure?

Abraham

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Not able to watch any of the new tutorials
by on Sep 27, 2010 at 6:29:42 pm

Hi Abraham, thanks for the prompt reply. Timeout meaning the flash movie screen goes away. I then get the three icons depicting other tutorials. And above these three icons are the Share and Replay buttons. It looks like a screen I would see if I've actually watched the tutorial in its entirety.

So, this Timeout event either occurs while the tutorial is playing and at other times, even before the tutorial starts.

500kb/s seems like a friendly datarate. BTW, I have no issues with watching videos on other sites.

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

by on Sep 27, 2010 at 6:57:18 pm

Well that definitely should not be happening.

The video player has been replaced with the same we're using in our videos and reels section. Let me know if that helps.

Abraham

Return to posts index

by on Sep 27, 2010 at 11:06:01 pm

I thought it was VLC interfering with the playback as it was set as the default player for FLVs within Firefox. I've since diasabled it but still no joy.

Right now I get a few seconds and the video just freezes and the loading animation comes on. After awhile the video screen just goes to black.

How is it that I can view FLVs on other sites? I can even step forward in time and the video will buffer to the new playback time. But at the COW, clicking ahead of the playback indicator, beyond cached frames, does nothing.

I'll see what else I can do on my end. Cheers.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 28, 2010 at 3:50:15 pm

Hello Roland,

I'm not sure why your video playback would be going black after awhile of playback. At what point does it usually break? Is it right after the COW intro? I've made a couple more adjustments to hopefully help solve the problem but I'm shooting in the dark since it seems to download consistently for me.

The reason that clicking ahead in the timeline doesn't work is because the system is using progressive download instead of streaming. In progressive download you need to download the whole video to view the end where with streaming you could jump to the end and just download that section.

Abraham

Return to posts index

by on Sep 28, 2010 at 7:57:41 pm

Hello Roland,

Any luck?

I wanted to add that the new player we are using is the same player we use in the videos and reels sections. It is one of the most commonly used video players on the net. Ron and Kathlyn sometimes run into issues with Firefox having memory leaks where they need to restart their computer to make it work properly again. Hopefully some of this information helps your situation.

Hopefully if anyone else is having this issue they'll post something but so far this seems to be an isolated issue you are experiencing.

Abraham

Return to posts index

by on Sep 29, 2010 at 5:31:41 pm

Hi Abraham, I've managed to watch this tutorial in its entirety. http://library.creativecow.net/articles/mize_rob/Create-a-Photo-Carousel-in...

So, so far so good. I'll try later, to see if the ones I had issues with previously are working fine now. The JW player is better, I agree.

BTW, how much of a hassle would it be for the COW to implement streaming vids. I believe it's more efficient from a bandwidth POV. It's especially true when re-watching a tutorial or in my case trying to skip the early parts which I've seen countless times.

Thanks for the assistance. Much appreciated.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

by on Sep 29, 2010 at 5:49:29 pm

[Roland R. Kahlenberg] "How much of a hassle would it be for the COW to implement streaming vids."

Streaming videos requires a streaming video server. We'll probably end up doing it fairly soon, especially with you posing the question here and the increase in incoming videos. We were looking into different streaming server options about a year ago but never found one that seemed to fit quite right. It's getting close to time to giving another crack at it.

Glad to hear the new player is working for you now.

Abraham

Return to posts index

by on Oct 1, 2010 at 1:12:57 am

Thanks for your assistance Abraham. It'll be a nice improvement once we get streaming videos at the COW.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Not able to watch any of the new tutorials
by on Oct 9, 2010 at 12:10:39 am

oh, you mean the videos are all progressive download? That explains the need to load the whole video before watching, especially the reels including my own.

We started using Wowza for our streaming. Contact me offline if you want a sample link.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]