CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

disrespectful users

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andre Kloerdisrespectful users
by on Aug 19, 2010 at 10:20:13 am

I just read the email from Creative Cow about moderators being phoned up by Creative Cow visitors.

I think it's disrespectful and so rude to phone moderators. What are these people thinking???

Return to posts index

Damir LicinaRe: disrespectful users
by on Aug 19, 2010 at 1:05:16 pm

this is by far the worst scenario possible... I do understand that at times you need help and you need it fast but to call people and then, on top of that, act like an a$$, is just unacceptable...

Return to posts index

Jeremy BrettinghamRe: disrespectful users
by on Aug 19, 2010 at 1:28:19 pm

Just wanted to add that CC is a fantastic resource and it's wise contributors hugely appreciated all round the world - and anyone who gets shirty with them on the phone or otherwise wastes their time deserves all the spam they probably already get x 2

Return to posts index

clayton douglasRe: disrespectful users
by on Aug 19, 2010 at 2:57:51 pm

While I can appreciate the fact that Creative Cow(A site I use every day and love very much) has been getting phone calls and needs them to stop, I kinda wonder about the approach to stopping it. I felt as if I got scolded when I opened my email....I have never called Creative Cow, nor would I.
I personally think that the mass email idea is over kill. Seems like the people who are calling you guys dont have any common sense, and this email probably wont stop their antics.
Just sayin.

Return to posts index

David JonesRe: disrespectful users
by on Aug 19, 2010 at 3:26:50 pm

I think the disrespect is inexcusable. That said, disrespect usually comes from frustration and anger with the problem(s) they are having.

Probably a lot of folks who are typing in questions here are angry or frustrated. Phone calls should be understood as OFF LIMITS.

Many companies are now relying on Cow as the answer place so they do not have to provide functional support at their end. Media 100 (Boris) is just such a company. They refer you to Cow since they don't have the bandwidth to answer questions regarding problems.
From my experience, I believe it's possible Cow is getting a bit overwhelmed and folks go to the phones. When Flo, a well respected Media 100 expert, and other Cow helpers could not answer my question about a problem with Media 100 codecs and 720p formats, I was tempted to "go to the phones" but knew better.

We do need some good help out here but Flo cannot do it all. Our companies who sell us expensive equipment need to do their part by either offering better support at their sites and via phone or by stepping up to the plate and working at the Cow to quickly answer questions about thier products.

Nuff said.

Return to posts index

Terry MikkelsenRe: disrespectful users
by on Aug 20, 2010 at 4:10:40 pm

Whoa!
If you are not receiving support for the products you have purchased, you need to call them out first of all. Secondly, you need to find new dealers who support their products. There are many resellers just waiting in line for your money.

Tech-T Productions
http://www.technical-t.com

Return to posts index

Mark KeelerRe: disrespectful users
by on Aug 19, 2010 at 4:52:38 pm

Likewise I just read it to. To the staff of COW, know that the majority of people genuinely value what you do; I can't even begin to estimate how much I've learned here and I'm very grateful for what you folks do. I cannot imagine the gall of some that would misuse if not abuse their phone support. Let alone companies neglecting their own support obligations. Ugh.

To COW, you rock, what more need be said ;)

Mark Keeler
Keeler Media Group

Return to posts index

paul johnsonRe: disrespectful users
by on Aug 20, 2010 at 7:31:41 am

I too, would express my appreciation of the forums. I've found the answers for all sorts of problems here, and the selfish act of just a few threatens the service.

Seriously - if they felt it necessary to send out the mail, think how bad the problem must be.

Amazing!
Paul

Return to posts index

Larry LawferRe: disrespectful users
by on Aug 20, 2010 at 3:59:15 pm

People who are so obsessed with their own importance will never understand how they are infringing on someone else to get their ever so important question answered right then. You are risking nothing by just hanging up. Someone like this will jump to a conclusion that is likely wrong and then go blab it to anyone who will listen. Rude people are rude.

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: disrespectful users
by on Aug 20, 2010 at 6:46:21 pm

I have received a few emails over the years from people, usually people who have read a blog or article I have written. The emails usually begin with "Dear Mike Cohen, I did not know how to contact you so here is an email."

Well, to clarify, you contact me by posting a message on the blog, article or forum page and I am sure to at least see the message.

Likewise, I had one crazy person read a blog and then leave a phone message on our company voicemail - she didn't even attempt to use the spell by name feature in the voicemail main menu and at least try to get my extension. That's just lazy.

On the other hand, a surgeon read something I wrote, had a question, and posted on the Business Forum seeking my response. Sure, it is something like walking into a large room and shouting out someone's name, but that is generally what you do in life unless you already know how to contact a person.

On one of my early blog posts, I wrote about my college experiences. One of the responses posted to that page said "Oh, you're THAT Mike Cohen" - it was someone who graduated from my school years later - we had never met - but we have been friends ever since.

So, contacting strangers on or off of a social networking site has potential positive benefits and a slight risk of encountering a whack-job. Lucky for us, whack-jobs are few and far between.

Although it sounds like most of them have found the COW's main number.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Eric HviscRe: disrespectful users
by on Aug 21, 2010 at 12:45:41 am

for years I depended on POST FORUM for my hard to get answers. we're talking 20th century here people, I also tried to contribute by answering as many question as I could with my limited knowledge of Adobe Premier. Soon I was perceived as some kind of expert and began to receive privet e-mails demanding I respond quicker to people questions. Now are the software publishers doing such a lousy job of writing the manuals and providing tutorials that people are forced to behave this way?
Or are people just to impatient to read a book or sit though a 10 minute free tutorial from the cow or rip training?
Or is this is just another example of the lack of civility that our society is suffering from. Hummmmm.

vidyman

Return to posts index

Rafael AmadorRe: disrespectful users
by on Aug 21, 2010 at 3:10:13 am

I've been called a couple of times, but in both cases I was first contacted by mail, and asked my permission to be called. I said OK.
Is just a matter of manners and education: knocking on the door first, or just getting through with any consideration.
Cheers,
rafel

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Ronald LindeboomRe: disrespectful users
by on Aug 21, 2010 at 6:13:22 pm

We have a leader that did this years ago when the COW was in its infancy and one day we wrote and asked him why he was no longer visiting the COW when he had been so involved at one point.

His answer?

"I am still involved, in fact I have about two thousand phone calls over the last year. People call me all the time."

He no longer hosts here because the people found out he was willing to take calls and so they hounded him to death.

He still gets calls and even though he has culled back on things, there are still people that won't leave him alone.

It has affected his business.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

"Incompetence has never prevented me from plunging in with enthusiasm."
- Woody Allen

Return to posts index

Rafael AmadorRe: disrespectful users
by on Aug 22, 2010 at 2:47:48 am

Hi Ron,
I'm lucky: with my phone prefix people thinks (at least) twice before calling :-)
Best,
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Norman WillisRe: disrespectful users
by on Aug 23, 2010 at 4:29:53 pm

Hi Ron.

The COW is a great resource, and I am very thankful for it.

But I wonder why that particular COW leader didn't just set up some better personal boundaries. If he/she was not OK with receiving calls, then why did he/she just not say 'please contact me through the COW Forum', and then contact you if they would not?

Again, thanks for your great resource.

Norman Willis
http://www.nazareneisrael.org

Return to posts index

by on Aug 23, 2010 at 4:34:02 pm

Because they think they are doing right by people and they want to be nice. Eventually they find out that the old adage, "Give people an inch and they'll take a mile" is an old axiom because some wise old grizzled person figured something out about human nature.

Like Sisyphus, eventually they collapse under the weight.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

- Woody Allen

Return to posts index

Kai CheongRe: disrespectful users
by on Aug 22, 2010 at 6:40:23 am

I'm still a n00b, in the grand scheme of things here at the Cow, but I've also gotten a few emails spun off from the Cow asking for specific help, after I posted a related solution on the forums.

Also recently gotten a very nice surprise: a thank you email from someone who dug through the archives and found a solution that solved his problem!

Don't expect anyone to be calling anyone yet... though my number is actually somewhere [not too inconspicuous] out on the Net. But like Rafael, I think my country code is also a great deterrent ;)

Kai
FCP Editor / Producer with Intuitive Films
http://kai-fcp-editor.blogspot.com
--
Now 'LIVE'! Check Out The Intuitive Films Blog @ http://intuitive-films.blogspot.com
At Intuitive Films, We Create: TV Commercials, Documentaries, Corporate Videos and Feature Films
Visit us @ http://www.intuitivefilms.com
--
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM | FCP 5.1.4 | Mac OS X 10.5.7

8-Core Intel Mac Pro 2.26GHz | 8GB RAM | FCP 6.0.6 | Mac OS X 10.5.6 | 3.0TB CalDigit VR | 2 x 24" Dell S2409W

Return to posts index

Don GreeningRe: disrespectful users
by on Aug 26, 2010 at 8:52:02 pm

[Kai Cheong] "but I've also gotten a few emails spun off from the Cow asking for specific help, after I posted a related solution on the forums."

Me too. Several email requests, in fact. I've always been happy to help because the requests haven't been overwhelming so far. I did get a phone call out of the blue from Texas not too long ago. The person was a relatively active forum participant at that time. What I disliked about the call more than anything was that the person kept asking me to "hang on a sec" which lasted many seconds while they kept issuing instructions via two way radio. I suspect this person was some sort of dispatcher.

- Don

Don Greening
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: disrespectful users
by on Oct 27, 2010 at 9:37:18 pm

Funny, since this thread was started, I have received at least two emails from new users looking for specific help. I referred them back to the forums. I am not sure why people find a forum and then can't figure out how to ask a question, so they email someone offline.

That would be like going to the ER with a sprained ankle, looking at a list of doctors on the board and then going home and calling one of the ER docs at home after hours asking him if you have a sprained ankle.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Mark StuartRe: disrespectful users
by on Oct 27, 2010 at 10:08:04 pm

yeah, really... isn't much easier to hit "reply" much less actually FIND the phone number and call! Isn't being on line the idea here? lol

-Mark

Art is completely subjective. It's up to the viewer to judge whether or not it has merit. -Ken Danby

Return to posts index

by on Oct 27, 2010 at 11:46:22 pm

The ones who always amaze me, Mike, are the ones who when you suggest that they post online so that they get more than one opinion and also so that others may benefit from the discussion, they cuss you out as if you are being a jerk.

Oh well,

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC

- Woody Allen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]