CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

I want more (subscribed threads). How?

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark SuszkoI want more (subscribed threads). How?
by on Aug 16, 2010 at 1:57:50 pm

What do I have to do to get more subscribed threads up in my display? Seems I'm limited to 11, but there are many more that I would like to have all together on the one page.

Return to posts index

Abraham ChaffinRe: I want more (subscribed threads). How?
by on Aug 16, 2010 at 3:05:17 pm

Hello Mark,

You can subscribe to a forum and the new threads in that forum will show up on your news page. You are limited to 10 forums you can subscribe to at one time.

Abraham

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: I want more (subscribed threads). How?
by on Aug 16, 2010 at 7:25:30 pm

Pesky question; why only that many?

Return to posts index

Abraham ChaffinRe: I want more (subscribed threads). How?
by on Aug 16, 2010 at 7:36:53 pm

First off, it's a newer function that we weren't sure we were even going to keep at the beginning. In the beginning the subscriptions were just for hourly email notifications of forums users' subscribed to. We don't, however, want to allow users to subscribe by email to a ton of forums as the user would receive 24 email notifications every day which could be overwhelming for some people. We make exceptions for leaders who want to be involved in leadership of forums, they can receive email notifications as soon as the posts go up.

The subscriptions have recently been re-purposed to also control the new users' news page and this can be turned on or off as well as the email side being able to be turned on or off in the users' settings page. To keep that page from loading slowly it remains a good idea to limit the number of subscribed forums to something reasonable since each forum is in a separate database table and needs to be crawled for each subscription.

We're constantly refining the way things are accomplished so we're up for suggestions and I'm sure in the future this whole system will be reconstructed into something that works even better but right now 1.0 of this seems to work pretty well and is becoming pretty widely used.

Abraham

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: I want more (subscribed threads). How?
by on Aug 16, 2010 at 8:36:56 pm

Thanks for the detailed answer. I hate it when people say "just because" :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]