CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

AE forum "move to Basics" option?

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave JohnsonAE forum "move to Basics" option?
by on Aug 13, 2010 at 1:23:39 pm

Does anyone have any idea why there's no "this post should be moved to the Basics forum" option in the After Effects forum like there is in the FCP forum ... especially considering the AE forum has been plagued by that issue for longer than the FCP forum has even existed?

I suppose that's really a rhetorical question ... perhaps one of the forum leaders will read this, agree and urge the head COW to do it.

Return to posts index

Abraham ChaffinRe: AE forum "move to Basics" option?
by on Aug 13, 2010 at 3:09:49 pm

Hello,

This feature has been added to the AE Forum now.

Appreciate the feedback.

Abraham

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: AE forum "move to Basics" option?
by on Aug 13, 2010 at 4:13:26 pm

[Dave Johnson] "especially considering the AE forum has been plagued by that issue for longer than the FCP forum has even existed?"

Dave,

While I get your point, a bit of hyperbole is at work here, I fear. Both the FCP and AE forums went live on the same day.

The reason the FCP forum got it was that the leaders demanded it. We never received the same request from the forum leaders in the AE forum.

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Dave JohnsonRe: AE forum "move to Basics" option?
by on Aug 13, 2010 at 5:09:57 pm

Thank you, both.

[Ron Lindeboom] "... a bit of hyperbole is at work here ..."

Ron,
It's understandable that it seems that way, but there was no hyperbole ... I was simply mistaken ... I must've confused this forum with another (maybe DMN or one that's now extinct ... I seem to recall a WWUG or something like that) ... or, perhaps I was unaware that the COW had a FCP forum when I first started visiting around 2000 since I was using NLEs other than FCP until years later.

[Ron Lindeboom] "We never received the same request from the forum leaders in the AE forum."

I'm certainly not doubting that ... just a little surprising since the topic has been discussed many times within the forum ... including conversations that involved forum leaders.

Anyway, thanks again for adding the feature, as well as for starting and maintaining such a phenomenal resource.

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: AE forum "move to Basics" option?
by on Aug 13, 2010 at 5:50:43 pm

There are always tons of suggestions, Dave -- both on the forums and here in the COWmunications center -- but unfortunately, many revolve around trying to change human nature and that is the tough part.

We used to try FAQs but when we saw how much work went into them and how few people actually used them (even the newest users), it became pretty futile to try to go that route.

Hopefully, the newest addition from Abraham will help but I have learned to be a little skeptical over the years. Hopefully as we continue to refine the interface and implement the big changes that we have been and are continuing to work on -- which will appear later -- people will find Abraham's new feature useful. Hopefully, they will use it and point newer users to it.

We'll see.

Me? I think most people will continue to run in oblivious of anyone or anything else and blurt out the same questions that are often no more than a few threads down the forum.

I have been working with Abraham to engineer a totally new way of looking at forums and online support, one that will hopefully address this successfully.

But again, we'll see.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom
CEO, CreativeCOW.net

Creativity is a type of learning process where the teacher and pupil are located in the same individual.

Graveyards are full of people the world couldn't do without.

Return to posts index

Dave JohnsonRe: AE forum "move to Basics" option?
by on Aug 13, 2010 at 6:43:21 pm

[Ron Lindeboom] "We used to try FAQs but when we saw how much work went into them and how few people actually used them (even the newest users), it became pretty futile to try to go that route."

Perhaps part of it is that many people prefer the interaction of asking questions their own way and having others answer them directly, rather than reading the same information in pre-existing form ... I guess that's the human nature part. Considering the numbers of questions with answers more easily found on page one of the corresponding manual, futile seems the perfect word to describe attempts to change that. That's why it seems moving posts would be more effective than trying to proactively prevent them from being posted in the wrong places.

[Ron Lindeboom] "Me? I think most people will continue to run in oblivious of anyone or anything else and blurt out the same questions that are often no more than a few threads down the forum."

Your experience has obviously taught you how to accurately predict the future so would you mind picking some lotto numbers for me? ;~)

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Mike ParkRe: AE forum "move to Basics" option?
by on Aug 13, 2010 at 7:55:34 pm

I agree that the same questions get asked a bunch in forums. A FAQ makes sense, but it is sometimes difficult for people to navigate and find answers to their question. Perhaps in addition to moving the question or topic, we could simply link the question to the appropriate answer in the FAQ section. That way the user could get the answer but it would only require someone to post a link instead of a full explaination. Just a thought.

Return to posts index

Abraham ChaffinTagging / Categorizing a Thread
by on Aug 13, 2010 at 8:24:27 pm

Here's a quick tip on how to use the new in-line COW FAQ controls and features =)

These features are only available to COW Members who have active accounts and have gone through our moderation process.

When you find a post you want to categorize, add to the FAQ or the soon to be Tip / Trick page do the following.

1) Click on the TAG link at the top of the thread or readpost page.
These pages get their name from their address:
forums . creativecow . net /readpost/ or /readthread/

2) Fill out the form that is revealed and hit the Contribute button.

You get a message saying thanks for contributing.

3) Go to the FAQ or other such pages and the thread you categorized should be there.

FAQ links are found on just about every page when you are in a Forum that has a FAQ. Such forums as the AE Forum, FCP Forum or DW Forum. If your forum doesn't have a FAQ, tag 5 threads as FAQ threads and a FAQ will appear on the forum.

Abraham

Return to posts index

Dave JohnsonRe: Tagging / Categorizing a Thread
by on Aug 13, 2010 at 8:34:45 pm

Thanks Abraham ... very useful info.

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: Tagging / Categorizing a Thread
by on Aug 14, 2010 at 4:52:31 pm

Yes Abraham, a nice addition to the site -- very cool indeed.

Yet again am I forced to tip the ole cow hat and give a hearty "moo" that sounds across the coastal hills in the direction of Cambria.

;)

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom
CEO, CreativeCOW.net

In the history of humanity, three inventions stand above its many other accomplishments: they are the printing press, the internet and lest we forget, the mellotron.

Return to posts index

Abraham ChaffinRe: Tagging / Categorizing a Thread
by on Aug 14, 2010 at 4:55:58 pm

The the hills are alive with the sound of moos and mellotrons. =o

Abraham

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]