CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

Reminder

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hunter HempenReminder
by on Jul 16, 2010 at 4:52:55 pm

Hello,
I'm not sure how or what credentials you need to achieve in order to be in charge of a certain subject forum here on the Cow, but being a new member I've noticed that few of your veterans are a bit rude towards amateurs. Just do me a favor and remind them that this is a place to LEARN - instead of being ridiculed for our stupidity and/or lack of experience. Doing this might brighten my already tainted view of the Cow as a seemingly cold place towards "newbies".

Thanks, but keep up the good work,
Hunta

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: Reminder
by on Jul 16, 2010 at 5:08:41 pm

Nebulous generalities do little to help resolve issues. Specifics go a long way towards insuring that things are dealt with.

With that said, who in particular are you referring to?

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Hunter HempenRe: Reminder
by on Jul 16, 2010 at 5:11:29 pm

Dave La Rhonda, if that's the correct spelling? I understand how quite a few veterans on here could be stressed from years of intense work, deadlines, etc, therefore making them bitter, but this isn't the first time I've run into issues with Dave. Hence, why I came to this subject forum.

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: Reminder
by on Jul 16, 2010 at 5:12:43 pm

Thank you, Hunter.

We will talk to Dave.

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Tim WilsonRe: Reminder
by on Jul 16, 2010 at 6:09:06 pm

My thanks as well for the specifics, Hunter. Very helpful.

More generally, we strongly agree with you. I wrote about this at some length, in an article called "Hello. My Name is Tim. I am a Newbie." It brings up a host of issues around the very ones that you raise.

Be sure to read the article comments, where I and others elaborate even further.

Thanks for hanging in there as we keep trying to shift the signal-to-noise ratio in the right direction.

Best,
Tim

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine

My Blog: "Is this thing on? Oh it's on!"

Don't forget to rate your favorite posts!

Return to posts index

Bob ZelinRe: Reminder
by on Jul 22, 2010 at 11:16:10 pm

with all due respect to the esteemed Creative Cow management, I object to this response. I am not only a frequent contributor to Creative Cow, but one of the contributors that is frequently disrepectful to many users. Many people consider me an expert in our industry. With that said, I would like to tell you a story.

My current job is to build a sub-station within a major network TV operation in Orlando, FL. Often, when I work with local small production companies, I am working with a totally non technical staff, who takes my word as "the gospel". Well, at this network, these men have more experience than me, know more than me, and are intolerant of my LACK OF KNOWLEGE, even though I have 30 years of experience in our industry. I was recently "disrespected" by the Director of Engineering, who could not believe the "stupid questions" I was asking him, for clarification of the job I was contracted to do. This is real life, Hunter. When people are under pressure, they do not consider your feelings. You have to be a professional, and if you don't know something, expect to be talked down to. You may want to be treated with respect on these forums, but in real life, when you are in a high end paying situation, no one is going to be "nice and sweet to you". And let me assure you, that folks down here in lovely Orlando, FL. are a heck of a lot nicer than they are in NY or LA or Chicago. You are receiving free advice, which is more than anyone (including me) often receives. Take it as a gift. I tried to use the Broadcast Video forum on Creative Cow to get some answers (to which there was no response) - but you know what happens in REAL LIFE, when you don't know the answer, and get stuck - YOU GET YELLED AT, and are made to feel like an idiot and a loser - even if you are not one. When I was yelled at, for my lack of knowlege, I felt like every other newbie - it affected my stomach, it affected my blood pressure, and it affected my family when I went home that night. It also inspired me to work that much harder to figure out what I had to know, so that I would accomplish the job, and not get yelled at anymore.

Dave is a much nicer person than I am, and I cannot even begin to imagine how his comments to you, would be worse than anything I might say - or even worse - A REAL LIFE EMPLOYER that is paying you for your services, and is disappointed with your work and performance - even if it is not your fault.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Post removed.

eric pautschRe: Reminder
by on Jul 30, 2010 at 11:43:13 am

Here's a gem where I was called out as being a rude prick. I really wanted to help this girl find her way...but she wouldn't hear of it:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/55/862792#862792

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Reminder
by on Aug 8, 2010 at 12:04:14 am

Hunter,
Your concerns are frequently expressed by visitors new and old to these forums. Everyone on here is replying to posts as volunteers, in addition to our jobs, often much more than full-time hours. Thus, some people come here to relax, take a break, browse whilst rendering - it is like Cheers - where everyone knows your name. I have caught myself writing some wise remarks in a thread which I later realized were not entirely accurate or in line with my usual style - and I attribute these indiscretions to being tired, stressed, punchy (a combination of emotions), decaffeinated or just lazy.

In a nutshell, Hunter, we are human, and we are not always at our best. But I assure you, we are here to help.

Well, Bob Zelin is not completely human. He's more machine now than man, twisted and evil. But even he has good intentions.

Stick around.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

eric pautschRe: Reminder
by on Aug 10, 2010 at 2:12:38 am

I hear that. I recently made a comment about the Niel Young Archive Blu Ray disc that was brought down. I was in a pissing mood and more or less made a comment about the economics of producing something so large and so long to bring to market. I guess it wasnt taken well and was removed. For the record, being a Blu Ray producer and author myself, the Niel Young BD set is one of the greatest achievements Im ever seen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]