CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

I'm a newb, how do I know when my reel is viewable?

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
preston mullinsI'm a newb, how do I know when my reel is viewable?
by on Jul 6, 2010 at 8:14:51 pm

Hi folks! I just joined up the other day. I uploaded my video reel successfully a few days ago. I understand I need to post in the forums a few times to become a validated member. I did so, but I'm still wondering how or when I find out if my reel is available to view. I really need to link it to some jobs I'm trying to get, and time is critical. Any feedback would be great. Thanks!

-Preston Mullins

Return to posts index

Abraham ChaffinRe: I'm a newb, how do I know when my reel is viewable?
by on Jul 6, 2010 at 9:11:51 pm

Hello Preston,

I'm not seeing a video from you. Maybe give it another shot?

Abraham

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: I'm a newb, how do I know when my reel is viewable?
by on Jul 6, 2010 at 9:18:24 pm

If it's the one I am thinking of, I turned it off as it was 16 minutes long of a demo reel and I wrote the user saying that I have never seen one of the demo reels longer than 5 minutes ever finished. I asked to have them edit down a 3 minute or less version.

Again, this may not be the one I am recalling but if it is, the advice still stands.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

PS: I looked you up, Preston, and I sent you a note explaining that your video was branded as an AOL upload and we do NOT republish videos watermarked to other sites as our lawyers have told us that will eventually bite us. If you dig through the server logs, Abraham, I am sure you can find the note I sent.

Return to posts index

preston mullinsRe: I'm a newb, how do I know when my reel is viewable?
by on Jul 7, 2010 at 1:03:57 am

Oops, sorry guys. I guess I have a lot to learn about online demo reels. Ron, I will definitely shorten it. Am I allowed to show bits from my AOL videos as long as you can't see the watermark or the AOL logo? Also, I did not see a message regarding the length in my email, I may have erased it on accident. Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it!

Return to posts index

by on Jul 11, 2010 at 1:05:01 am

As long as it is an original piece of work and is not a repeat of the reel that you posted on AOL videos, it will fly here, Preston.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

by on Jul 11, 2010 at 6:35:34 am

Thanks, Ron. I basically needed to post my reel for a news job here in Las Vegas so the station could view my work online. I realize that Creative Cow is probably not the site I should have used, being that it seems geared for (for lack of better words) more creative and artistic gigs far different from news.

However, I'm glad I stumbled upon this site. I can tell it has a wealth of info. that I need to know. The fact that Douglas Spotted Eagle is a forum host here is awesome. He did a training session on Sony Vegas at my old station in Portland, OR a few months ago. It was great.

Anyway, I'm just stoked to me here.

-preston.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 11, 2010 at 2:52:31 pm

Hello Preston,

Thanks for the kind words about Creative COW, they are appreciated. Spot is a great teacher, I have seen him teaching classes a number of times and he is always very informative and inspiring.

Regarding reels: we have many news and other types of reels related to cinematography and shooting. The problem we had with your reel was that it simply was far too long. We see the stats and no reel at 16 minutes would likely to ever be completed. Few people finish the 5 minute reels. Good reels should be one to two minutes in length. Even cinematography reels. Show your very best stuff, not all or most of your stuff. Leave the audience wanting more, not wanting to go find something else.

I am not trying to be mean, just to explain what the purpose of the reels section is and how best to use it.

Good luck on your job search Preston.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom
CEO, CreativeCOW.net

Creativity is a type of learning process where the teacher and pupil are located in the same individual.

Graveyards are full of people the world couldn't do without.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 11, 2010 at 10:27:41 pm

I can't thank you enough for taking the time to tell me these things. I don't think you are being mean, just very helpful. I need all the constructive criticism I can get.

-preston.

Return to posts index

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]