CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

Best Quality DVDs

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt KirkrightBest Quality DVDs
by on May 19, 2010 at 3:38:57 am

I have been producing Wedding DVDs for 2 years. I started out using Sony DVD-R printable discs. I have since gone to DL and started out using Verbatim DVD+R DL Printable discs as these were the only ones I could find that were printable to the hub. The burn speed was only 2.4x which was a bummer as I wanted something quicker.

I now use Intact DVD+R DL discs which have a maximum burn speed of like 10x. I am however, noticing that I am having quality issues with pixelation in parts. I cannot confirm if it is the discs.

My question is, what is the best DVD+R DL ink jet printable (to the hub) disc on the market and where can I get it? In addition, has anyone ever had any issues with Intact?

Return to posts index

Fred JodryRe: Best Quality DVDs
by on May 20, 2010 at 1:54:38 pm

Matt, since you are making wedding DVDs you are making in bulk. Although my own Pioneer DVD - DL "burners" are doing a good job I have to admit that recording pairs of regular DVD discs is better, and putting them into two disc hub type "jewel cases" is a "nice touch". As far as printing on top of DVDs, try hand rolling on maybe a very thin layer of Craig Film Cement (made by DuArt Projector Co., Connecticut?) then print on top of this thin layer regularly.

Best Quality DVDs
by Matt Kirkright on May 18, 2010 at 11:38:57 pm

I have been producing Wedding DVDs for 2 years. I started out using Sony DVD-R printable discs. I have since gone to DL and started out using Verbatim DVD+R DL Printable discs as these were the only ones I could find that were printable to the hub. The burn speed was only 2.4x which was a bummer as I wanted something quicker.

I now use Intact DVD+R DL discs which have a maximum burn speed of like 10x. I am however, noticing that I am having quality issues with pixelation in parts. I cannot confirm if it is the discs.

My question is, what is the best DVD+R DL ink jet printable (to the hub) disc on the market and where can I get it? In addition, has anyone ever had any issues with Intact?

Return to posts index

Fred JodryRe: Best Quality DVDs
by on May 24, 2010 at 3:37:28 pm

I come to think of it, Duco cement and thinner, would be easier for the average person to find than Craig Film Cement and thinner.

Return to posts index

Dave KleeRe: Best Quality DVDs
by on May 28, 2010 at 10:51:20 pm

Hey Matt, I know it's been a while since you posted this, but I've tried a few and been pretty happy with the RiData Dual-Layer discs (they're ink jet hub printable, 8X rated), and I buy almost all my media from Meritline.com

http://www.meritline.com/ridata-dvd-r-dl-8x-white-inkjet-hub-printable-drd-...

However, in general I've found dual-layer burning to often be more trouble than it's worth. I get a lot more errors from encoding and building dual-layer projects than single layer, and I've had a higher rate of compatibility issues with set-top players for dual-layer burned discs. There are times when its necessary, but sadly, I've found that accepting a higher level of compression to fit things on a single-layer DVD has been the path of least resistance with the fewest headaches. Perhaps other people out there have had better luck than me.

For single-layer DVDs and CDs, I don't think you can beat the quality of Taiyo Yuden (now JVC). Again, Meritline has been very trust-worthy retailer for me:

http://www.meritline.com/taiyo-yuden---m-13.aspx

Good luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]