CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

Do people sell source files?

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James NannenDo people sell source files?
by on Mar 23, 2010 at 10:58:38 pm

I work freelance, and have yet to have someone ask for a my source files. I just want to know this information now, so I am prepared in the future.

People often seem to get weird about the source file themselves. I have encountered this multiple times of people getting weird about about a simple Photoshop file all the way to a complex Flash file. I understand that people want to protect their art, concepts, methods on creating things, and of course want to be payed for any modifications so they want to keep it under lock and key.

So when someone asks me to send them the source file, should I charge them extra for it? I understand it is most likely a case by case basis, but is this practice normal at all? I need a basic idea of where to start.

I work with everything. Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, After Effects, Final Cut Pro, Cinema 4D. What are the normal rates for these files?

I can easily see someone requesting a Photoshop file from me and without thinking twice just sending it off, but a 40 Hour Plus after Effects or Flash animation, I would want to be payed for it.

Once again I know that each file format might be different along with how many hours you spend on it. But I need a general idea what to do and what to charge. What things should I charge for, what should I not charge for? Any ideas, examples and stories would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Do people sell source files?
by on Mar 24, 2010 at 1:12:20 am

This is a question best asked on the Business & Marketing Forum.

Yes, you certainly should charge extra for your project or source files, and you should consider spelling that out on your invoice in the fine print. Most freelancers are paid for their final work product.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]