CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

Building a MAC

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John FoleyBuilding a MAC
by on Jan 24, 2010 at 8:43:05 pm

Ron,

I have been with this community for several years and recently I needed to move from a G5 PowerMac to an Intel Mac to run future software upgrades. My business was doing poorly and I have a fairly extensive background in computers, so I decided to build a MAC for the future.

I am currently writing this from my MacOsX86 Snow Leopard homebuilt MacPro computer. I am also sure that you are aware of this and wanted to know how you view this in light of the Apple ELU.

I will not say anything more if you are entirely against this type of information on the COW. If this post is deleted i will understand and you may tell me what you think through my private email.

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: Building a MAC
by on Jan 25, 2010 at 2:57:11 pm

Well, we know it can be done, but if the ELU (EULA?) says that it is illegal and they do not want it done, then we aren't going to step on their toes because we wouldn't want our own rights treated that way.

So, final score: congratulations, sounds cool. But if a hand-rolled Mac is anywhere near as buggy as one wherein all the parts were designed and intended to function together, I think you'll be hearing that reboot ping from time to time.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom
CEO, CreativeCOW.net

Creativity is a type of learning process where the teacher and pupil are located in the same individual.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
- Antoine de Saint Exupéry

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
- Gandhi

Return to posts index

John FoleyRe: Building a MAC
by on Jan 25, 2010 at 9:12:43 pm

Hi Ron,

I want to thank you for the response and as I suspected the COW don't want to step on any land mines.

My Core i7 Quad MacPC is running Snow Leopard at 4.0 GHz and it don't crash, or hiccup, just runs like a scalded dog.

Return to posts index

Chad BrewerRe: Building a MAC
by on Jan 26, 2010 at 3:39:46 am

My car is a Saab.
Can you change it into a Volvo and then have it serviceable by Volvo when it breaks down?

If you want to work in video, you have to "pay to play." Shortcuts lose you clients...But you'll have more money in your pocket for your one-time taco dinner...

Chad Brewer
Senior Tape Operator/Engineer
TeleVersions

Return to posts index

John FoleyRe: Building a MAC
by on Jan 26, 2010 at 6:12:26 pm

I guess you are not assuming I know how to work on computers and Edit Video as well.

You can't make this work without knowing how to build a computer and loading the software.

Return to posts index

Raul Alvarez2TB Additional HDD on MacPro (early2008)
by on Feb 11, 2010 at 10:44:25 pm

Hi all:

Question: Can I Install 2TB Additional HDD on MacPro (early2008)?
Apple Tech Supports (over the phone) SAYS NO, without an explanation why.
They say Maximum 1TB. Anyone knows about this.
Urgent response... on a deadline...

Running Mac OS 10.5.8
Processor : 2 x 2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Memory 4GB 800 Mhz DDR2 FB-DIMM

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Richard CooperRe: 2TB Additional HDD on MacPro (early2008)
by on Feb 15, 2010 at 6:32:03 pm

Hi Raul,
I have several (3) 2TB HD's in my 2009 Dual Quad Core 3.2Ghz Mac Pro. With no problems, It looks like your tower is a year older than mine so there may be something that keeps it from working but it would be worth a try. If it ends up not working you could always stick the bare 2TB drive in an IcyDock and at least then you could still use it. They work great.

Hope this helps.

Richard Cooper
FrostLine Productions, LLC
Anchorage, Alaska
http://www.frostlineproductions.com

Return to posts index

Raul AlvarezRe: 2TB Additional HDD on MacPro (early2008)
by on Feb 16, 2010 at 12:08:24 am

Hi Richard;

I'm not sure if you got my previous response, but here is it again. Thank you. It is a good suggestion. I'm just installing the new 2 x 2TB and hope for the best. I'm sure it'll be all right, but your suggestion was very god.

All the best and take care.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]