CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

please stop the animated ads

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Nelsonplease stop the animated ads
by on Jan 23, 2010 at 3:35:33 pm

Dear Friends,

I'm pretty new to CreativeCOW community. Wow those animated ads are annoying. Please make them stop. I'd like to read more postings because I learn a lot, but after a minute or two I just have to close the window to stop the noise.

It's a dichotomy, really... the creative community you would expect to have the highest ad standards in fact has something else.

Anyway, it would be great if you could change the ad rules...

Thanks & best
Eric

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: please stop the animated ads
by on Jan 23, 2010 at 4:45:10 pm

Sure, Eric, we will just start telling the advertisers that their ads are ugly, their agencies do crappy work, and that we don't want them anymore.

Then, I will drive up to San Francisco and just unplug the near-half-million-dollars worth of web servers, load balancers, routers, file servers, ultra high speed drives and solid state systems, etc., that the advertisers have helped us pay for -- which drives this whole thing and makes all this content available for free. (Not to mention the pipe that serves up between 17 to 30 terabytes a day of information, videos, tutorials, podcasts, demo reels, music videos, etc., etc. We'll remove the ads if you want to pay for it all.)

Most people we have talked to and surveyed, don't mind the ads. Many tell us that as long as they are pertinent and relevant to what they do, they are okay with them. Some have even told us that they learn things from the ads, as they discover new tools and ideas they were unaware of.

Some hate them.

But without them there would be no site.

We are glad to have them, as this long ago passed the point where anyone in their right mind would underwrite it out of their own pocket. We did for a while, opening the site in 2001 and by 2003 we had ended up over $40,000 in debt. We learned to build an ugly site that worked and gave the information it needed.

To be honest, we see the COW as an information utility/appliance, not as a thing of beauty.

This stopped being a hobby many years ago.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Creativity is a type of learning process where the teacher and pupil are located in the same individual.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
- Antoine de Saint Exupéry

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
- Gandhi

Return to posts index

Eric NelsonRe: please stop the animated ads
by on Jan 23, 2010 at 8:46:29 pm

Hi Ron,
thanks for your response. I didn't suggest you do away with the ads, so I apologize for the misunderstanding. I just want them to stop flashing at me... all that visual noise prevents me enjoying the great content on this site.

So please do tell your advertisers you love them and want them to stay, but their ads are nasty, their agencies are hurting their business and they should instead hire some of the talented professionals on this site to create visually pleasing ads instead of what they now have.

How's that?

Eric

Return to posts index

by on Jan 24, 2010 at 3:31:22 am

[Eric Nelson] "So please do tell your advertisers you love them and want them to stay, but their ads are nasty, their agencies are hurting their business and they should instead hire some of the talented professionals on this site to create visually pleasing ads instead of what they now have."

I can tell that you have never worked with advertising agencies, have you?

;o)

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Fred JodryRe: please stop the animated ads
by on Jan 24, 2010 at 8:54:40 pm

I can tell that you have never worked with advertising agencies, have you? ...
They`re people, they listen, somewhat. Anyway, most of the animateds are .gif files, pretty innocuous on your computer if all handles the bandwidth. I basically agree, but people not leaving their return contact information on "queries" (ten dollar word) so a search is needed and maybe the search comes up empty too, is a bigger problem. Artists tape holding paper curtains over the edge of your monitor on top of the untied- down ads also works.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 25, 2010 at 3:24:10 pm

[Fred Jodry] "I can tell that you have never worked with advertising agencies, have you? ..."

Why, as a matter of fact, I have, Fred. Created TV commercials for about 5 years. Thanks for asking.

[Fred Jodry] "They`re people, they listen, somewhat."

Once the approval process has been completed and everyone signs off on things and the ad is created and distributed, there is about as much chance of getting something changed, as that of finding honesty in politics.

[Fred Jodry] "Artists tape holding paper curtains over the edge of your monitor on top of the untied- down ads also works."

Or you can do what many people do, and just click on them.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom
CEO, CreativeCOW.net

Creativity is a type of learning process where the teacher and pupil are located in the same individual.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
- Gandhi

Return to posts index

by on Jan 25, 2010 at 4:57:55 pm

Oh, and just to finish off the discussion of this subject: we do communicate with the agencies and ad people, and it is TOUGHER THAN NAILS just to get the ads we do that do NOT jump out of their position and start running across the page. Some agencies are oblivious to the fact that this is a community and they don't want to hear it when we tell them that they cannot treat the COW like Yahoo and a thousand other places where they have ads that when you roll over them, they take over your browser and go nuts.

Just getting the ads we do is a miracle. We are grateful that our ad partners listen to us, as there are many that don't -- and won't. They insist that they want FatBoy, BigBoy, ThisBoy and ThatBoy ads that grow outside their ad dimensions when rolled over and sing, dance, levitate, spin, twirl, explode and seize your machine and your attention on behalf of their client.

Fortunately, we have some good companies that listen to us when we tell them that our audience would lynch them if they did that here.

We'll leave that kind of thing to Yahoo, AllMusic.com, and some of the other sites where the word "Gotcha!" is an everyday occurrence.

Oh, and Eric -- who started the thread by saying how low the standards are for advertising and especially when considering that this is a creative industry site -- consider how easy it will be for you to get all the business in your pocket because your standards are higher than ours, the agencies, the advertisers, and everyone else involved.

Go get 'em boy...

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom
CEO, CreativeCOW.net

- Gandhi

Return to posts index

Chad BrewerCOW Animated ads=Free learning. Duh.
by on Jan 27, 2010 at 1:14:08 am

Ron,
Shouldn't we just provide new MacPro's with more RAM and CPU power to anyone who complains that the ads are slowing their current computers down? Wouldn't that work?
Also, regarding your last posts in this thread, did they make it through legal?
Did the agency creative directors approve them, or did you just "broadcast" on your own volition?

;o)

Chad Brewer
Senior Tape Operator/Engineer
TeleVersions

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: COW Animated ads=Free learning. Duh.
by on Jan 30, 2010 at 5:20:59 am

We just spent big money on a product, partially due to seeing their ad on this site, and then further investigating, researching and reading some helpful posts from the Zelinator.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Stephen SmithRe: COW Animated ads=Free learning. Duh.
by on Feb 1, 2010 at 11:49:57 pm

I find the ads helpful. For example, I did not know Camtasia created software for a Mac...until I saw the ad. These are ads geared towards what us professional video gurus are looking for.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Post removed.

Post removed.

Stephen SmithRe: COW Animated ads=Free learning. Duh.
by on Mar 15, 2010 at 2:59:27 pm

Not to beat the dead horse, but everyone needs to look at the ads. The COW has had adds for FREE stock footage from different high end companies. We are talking the kind of clips that go for $300 to $900 per clip. And the COW has had links to lots of them. If you would look at the ads you could have gotten well over $10,000 worth of FREE stock footage within the last year. As I was trying to write, the COW has your back.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Fernando MolRe: COW Animated ads=Free learning. Duh.
by on May 20, 2010 at 5:15:14 am

There are some studies about Banner Blindness that show how people can recognize banners and moving pictures in a web page as advertising and ignore them to directly reach the content. Usually the text areas on a page.

The same phenomena occurs with the navigation. If you are consistent trough your site users can identify it and ignore it until they need to go somewhere else in your site.

This is true when users are looking for content, but when they (us) are searching for something to buy, then they actually focus on the ad looking graphics.

As some governments have politics on advertising for public places, the COW have defined spots for advertising so they don't interfere when you are looking for content, but are findable when you need to look for a product. Even the Jobs forums are a great way to "clean up" the technical and opinion forums.

Anyway, I just found this not so new topic and feel like sharing. Thank you all for doing so.

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]