CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

Reels Freeze

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dale PaquetteReels Freeze
by on Dec 30, 2009 at 12:20:35 pm

When I try to watch various Reels, I get about 20 - 30 seconds of video and then it freezes. I get the "downloading" indicator (rotating circle of lines) but nothing more ever comes. Is this me (my PC) or something related to Cow? Do I need a special viewer? Thanks, Dale

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Reels Freeze
by on Dec 31, 2009 at 6:37:55 pm

it seems to be the varying data rates people are using.

Return to posts index

Fred JodryRe: ReelsFreeze(answeringfirstpost).
by on Jan 5, 2010 at 8:33:42 pm

Try adjusting the cache in internet options in your InternetExplorer or Firefox web browser. Both same. Bump the stated harddrive cache from 50MB to 175MB for a compu with 512 MB of memory. Better yet, Google, Glenn Hauser`s World Of Radio, "K4KYV Says Converter" which I rewrote, for more directions.

Return to posts index

Dale PaquetteRe: ReelsFreeze(answeringfirstpost).
by on Jan 6, 2010 at 12:26:22 am

Thanks, I just tried increasing cache with no luck. Thing is, I watch streaming video (with sound) from dozens of sites with no difficulty at all - only with the Cow. I note, however, that even with the Cow, streaming tutorials work fine. Did the Google but didn't see much? Maybe I entered something wrong. Dale

Return to posts index

Fred JodryRe: ReelsFreeze DXLD 9-053 July 22 2009
by on Jan 6, 2010 at 3:12:02 pm

Dale, the directions above outline 2 directions in streaming.
The first, increasing the formally stated harddrive cache is an improvement if you download and stream as though live. The fact that your video is still freezing in apparently the same places seems to mean that that you`re downloading pop-ups, not as much the matter of managing the cache. (Of course it might not be the best if one sets it to 4598674%6987854((698745690&874598476984ee72847458249047090!9 MB. Who knows what that does on some computers.) For the last couple of weeks I`ve been directing most browser searches through Google.com. It scrubs out most of the unwanted web insects. It`s just what`s been working lately. The second approach is certainly the better one. It`s that you should download the entire file then play the saved file. By the way, if you use your own file player, as a quickie improvement, you might disconnect your internet connection just before playing the file to keep embedded advertisements from "calling home" and ramping upward their interruptions. Here`s the topic where Bruce, W1UJR asks Don, K4KYV how to save and play the file from a "Youtube". If the case is somewhat different from yours, you`ll have to do some adapting. The program, Vixy.net, covers Mac, Wind., Ipod, and PSP, to mention.

K4KYV says converter: AMFONE.NET Forum topic
Ham Radio Film
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 10:15:44 AM » Quote
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: W1UJR on October 04, 2007, 07:10:06 AM
How does one "capture" or download the video stream? I'd like to keep a copy of that on my system.

Check out this website. http://vixy.net/ Simply paste in the url of
the YouTube video. If and when it works, it will convert it to Flash
Video format on the site, which you can then download and save to yourhard drive. You will need software that converts the .flv file. A
free download is linked to the site.

It doesn't always work 100% for me, and it can take a while to convertand download. Sometimes the video stalls at about 91% complete and Ihave to cancel and start over. It can be a PITA, but I usually can eventually get a complete download. So far I haven't been able to getit to work on anything but YouTube, but it's supposed to work also with Google Video, Reuters.com, Yahoo! Video, MySpace and BBC news clips.

This service allows you convert a Flash Video / FLV file (YouTube's
videos, etc.) to MPEG4 (AVI/MOV/MP4/MP3/3GP) file online. It is using a compressed domain transcoder technology (outline in Japanese). Itconverts FLV to MPEG4 faster and less lossy than a typical transcoder.

When you submit an url, it will download and convert to the video
format. Then you can download the converted file.

It`s "Radio Hams" by, Pete Smith Specialty for, MGM second half of
30`s. (via Frederic Jodry, DXLD)
Note, Glenn Hauser`s World of Radio as DX Listenning Digest, AMFone.net, and minor rewrites or comments.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]