CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

Option to default to thread view?

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex GollnerOption to default to thread view?
by on Aug 12, 2009 at 9:54:25 am

Seeing as I only joined a short while ago, I imagine that this has been discussed before many years ago, but I couldn't see any obvious thread titles over the last 12 months:

Would it be possible to add a user preference so that when you click any post, the whole thread appears with the window scrolled to the position of the post within the thread.

It took me a few months to realise that little green T next to the start of each thread was a way of immediately viewing all posts in that thread. I suppose I thought it was like a bullet point in a presentation, not a button (i.e. there is something about the design that didn't clue me in to the fact that it was a button).

Imagine adding a mouseover zone that turned all the white space around the post titles listed in a thread to act like pressing the little green T. You could add a subtle highlight, such as changing the clickable area to a very light grey, to show the extent of a given thread. That would satisfy the UI principle of making click targets as large as possible.

I know I'm getting this forum for free and I imagine these kind of changes might be expensive to implement. The reason why I'm mentioning them is that although over the years people have recommended that I hang out here, I hardly stayed long each time because I found the navigation more cumbersome than elsewhere.

However, it's probably just me...

alex4d on twitter, facebook, .wordpress.com & .com

Return to posts index

Steven TalleyRe: Option to default to thread view?
by on Aug 14, 2009 at 1:43:07 pm

It's in your profile settings.

Return to posts index

Alex GollnerRe: Option to default to thread view?
by on Aug 14, 2009 at 5:09:50 pm

Thanks for the response, I had already chosen 'thread view' - and that hadn't worked for me.

I see now that clicking once to see the whole thread is called 'topic vew'

Just to be fussy, I'd like the overview of 'thread view' - but when I click a post within a thread, it shows the whole thread as it does in 'topic view' - but scrolled to the post I clicked on.

I imagine the forum system is bought in as a package, and therefore it isn't at all easy to get what I want. I suppose I'm just putting it out there that my way is another possible way for the UI to be configured.

alex4d on twitter, facebook, .wordpress.com & .com

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: Option to default to thread view?
by on Aug 14, 2009 at 5:18:17 pm

No, we didn't buy this system and have been developing it ourselves over the years, so that we can do whatsoever we want and not be locked into anyone else's proprietary system.

That said, not that you know that the Green T does what you want, use it or don't -- problem solved.

If somehow you want to solve the problem with some other protocol that you prefer because you don't like Green Tea or something, well, let's be frank and say it isn't exactly high on our list of priorities.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Abraham ChaffinRe: Option to default to thread view?
by on Aug 14, 2009 at 9:23:13 pm

Green Tea is good for you. I try to have a couple cups a day.

Abraham

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]