CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

Interupty ad pages - auuugh

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill DewaldInterupty ad pages - auuugh
by on Jul 30, 2009 at 9:45:02 pm

Just wanted to be the first to complain about the little detours.

Make that money, COW. We love you anyway.

Ps - lets turn this into a teaching moment - what's the official name for those things?

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: Interupty ad pages - auuugh
by on Jul 30, 2009 at 9:51:34 pm

Bill,

They are set to bother you ONCE in 30 days. Once.

If that is too much for you, then go elsewhere where they don't have such things.

Oh, and in case you didn't see it, there is a link above and below the ad that you can click to avoid it and skip through it.

How do you think we pay for all of these free services? From your membership dues? :-)

There IS no such thing as a free lunch, even when it's free. Someone has to pay for it and when it isn't you, then guess what...

Best,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Bill DewaldRe: Interupty ad pages - auuugh
by on Jul 31, 2009 at 12:35:45 am

No worries Ron. Just came here to see if anyone else noticed they existed...

Besides, there is no elsewhere. Every problem that I google leads to the cow.

Is the once every thirty days thing done through IPs? Cos I got one at home, and then I just got once here in the office. On the same netbook.

And if you could indulge me, I'd actually like to know the technical term for such a page.

Thanks - Bill

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: Interupty ad pages - auuugh
by on Jul 31, 2009 at 12:48:57 am

We call them interstitial ads. I am not sure if that is the real name or not. It is what we call them here at the COW.

It is done by two things: one, is the IP; the other, is tied to your account number. Using both, we hit you only once and if you are logging in from a company with its own IP, the company only gets hit once, even if 10 people come here to the COW.

As I said, we have tried to be respectful and do not hide the "bypass this ad" link up in the righthand corner hidden in tiny type as they do at Yahoo and others. We make it front and center, top and bottom of the ad.

We have to pay for all this free stuff somehow and when the cost of everything just keeps going up and up and up, we have to find a way to pay for it all. Since you get it all for free, your dues do not cover much of these costs. ;o)

I hope that explains it to your satisfaction. If not, oh well...think what you want.

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Interupty ad pages - auuugh
by on Aug 7, 2009 at 1:59:32 am

I really don't mind the ads and often find them informational or educational. Bring 'm on.

But I wish they didn't flash or blink or roll over so insistently. It started with just one or two, that first time I saw one by Panasonic, I knew this was a trend I would not like. Just one on a page of static ads, you can sort of avoid reading it. Scroll the page to crop out the epilepsy-inducement. Then it grows. Reminds me of a room full of Vegas fruit machines now:-) You keep putting ads up, Ron, bravo, I am not protesting that. But in terms of marketing theory, I would say this to the guys that compose the ads:

"Believe me, I see every ad on every page. My eye scans each one, it is my nature. I scan the ad, and if it applies to a need I have or a curiosity I have, I WILL click on it. But by sheer probability I will never click on *every* ad. Not all of them are topical to me and my needs. For some of them, I will just never be a customer. No offense. I have been polite and read the ad anyway, and decided not to click. To make the ad flash and roll and pulsate and whatnot, after that decision point, without a stop, is not going to change my mind and make me click on it. All it does is cheese me off, like a salesman I've closed the door on, who keeps knocking in vain on my front door. Now picture ten or so of those guys all knocking in futility. While I'm trying to read the stuff I DID click on.

I will see if I can find a browser setting that disables the flashing and rolling after it plays thru one time. But failing that, all the motion-enabled ads are doing is giving me a negative impression of that advertiser. Guess I'm just a fuddy-duddy. If I can make a suggestion, I find slow dissolves less obnoxious than some of the other transitions these ads use. And it would be nice if they were set to do their dance a few times and then come to a stop after I refresh a page. That's just me. Thanks for listening."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]