CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

Why isn't there a 35mm adaptor forum?

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter CorbettWhy isn't there a 35mm adaptor forum?
by on Apr 28, 2009 at 12:22:44 pm

Just wondering why there isn't a dedicated Cow room for 35mm adaptor users? I have to go to DVXuser, DVinfo or the manufacturer forums for posts and news about adaptors. There are a lot of Brevis, Letus, Blade, P+S, Redrock, etc users out there not being tempted in by the Cow. It's just a thought.

Peter

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions
http://www.php.com.au

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: Why isn't there a 35mm adaptor forum?
by on Apr 29, 2009 at 5:59:58 pm

Sorry for the late reply, Peter.

We have those discussions in our cinematoraphy forum, where these things get discussed on a regular basis. A number of people there are using them on a daily basis. Others there have worked on Oscar and Emmy winning features, and have a great deal of experience with film lenses on the other side of the adapter. Ask any questions there, I'm certain you'll find plenty of answers.

One of the hosts there recently wrote an overview of what's currently available, in the Visual Effects issue of the COW Magazine. Take a look here.

Tim Wilson
Creative COW

Return to posts index

Peter CorbettRe: Why isn't there a 35mm adaptor forum?
by on May 2, 2009 at 2:01:12 am

Hi Tim,

I never seem to find much tech or user info on the Cinematography forum about DOF adaptors. Even on a three month view I could only find four direct 35mm adaptor threads. I do like the Cinematography very much but I don't go there for 35mm info.

Peter

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: Why isn't there a 35mm adaptor forum?
by on May 2, 2009 at 2:17:14 am

I get what you're saying -- there are indeed better repositories of thorough reviews....but I know you'll get thorough answers to your specific questions if you've got 'em. :-)

Now, having said that, we've been talking to some makers of adapters of late. Since you've put this on our radar, we'll put it on theirs.

Thanks,
Tim

Return to posts index

Peter CorbettRe: Why isn't there a 35mm adaptor forum?
by on May 2, 2009 at 2:32:54 am

No worries. Thanks Tim

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions

Return to posts index

Steve WargoHey there, Peter
by on May 24, 2009 at 4:24:02 am

I went to the Cinematography Forum and typed DoF into the search and a boatload of stuff came up.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Fred Jodryre: Just wonderingwhythereisn'tadedicatedCowroomfor35mmadaptorusers?
by on May 28, 2009 at 4:27:53 pm

Peter, my guess why there isn`t a Forum for the 35mm lens adaptor users is mainly that it`s sort of lenses kindergarten. There`s also the fact that we bump shoulders endlessly on the street with people who use 35 mm lenses and their adaptors on their still cameras bayoneted on them the same way as these little lenses attach to the somewhat more ambitious 35 mm movie film or TV cameras. That said, let`s concentrate on a few common sense basics. The biggest difference between lenses that can go on your camera and those that can`t be used is back focal distance. When light goes through a focussing lens it makes a brighter imitation of going through a pinhole of a pinhole camera. But a focussing lens unlike a pinhole also means that the image (source) in the field maybe an "infinite" distance from the "pinhole" inside the lens barrel yields an in- focus image a specific distance inside the camera body where the photolayer, be it film, TV photolayer, or the ground glass of a viewfinder happens to be. If the image from the field is closer than infinity then the camera`s focussing point is always, and usually conveniently, somewhat farther into the camera body and you easily refucus for this. The trouble is, the focussing point from the "pinhole place" inside the lens barrel can easily be not far enough into the camera body to do the job. The biggest problem here is usually that there is usually a cemented set of dichroic prisms that split the light from the lens into 3 taking color primaries for a TV color camera typically worth more than spit. A filtre wheel and more can also be in the path. This means that color TV camera lenses for the good cameras accomodate back focal distances from 52 mm or more, the same as prism viewfinder cameras and the other splitter color cameras such as Technicolor cameras. It doesn`t help that some lens mounts have long rear castings sometimes intended to crummy their lens`s use down to specific camera types. Other lens options like iris gears, are obvious. Although there certainly should be a better Forum area for this, reading the back focal distance right off of the front of lens information happens to be your first parameter in identifying a lens`s use. That means that image size determination in mm (There`s fewer words describing this but I forget what they are.), back focal distance (from infinity`s take), and F- stop (brightness) are the three main parameters of a lens. A fourth parameter is the width of acceptable image diameter on the photolayer side.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]