CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

Job Postings

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gregory ButnerJob Postings
by on Mar 31, 2009 at 7:02:40 pm

There seems to be a few job postings in the Higher Pay forum that have nothing to do with the subjects that Creative COW covers. I'm pretty sure that "woodshop instructor" is not the type of job that anyone looking here would be looking for. I hope this is the proper place to complain about these posts. Is there any way that a moderator could remove these?

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Job Postings
by on Apr 1, 2009 at 4:35:54 am

I looked closely at the posting for the arts & crafts instructor in New Hampshire because it sounded very relaxing. Then I thought about the hundreds of screaming kids it might involve, so I decided against it.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: Job Postings
by on Apr 2, 2009 at 4:01:41 pm

Now that we're closing in on 1.5 million unique visitors each monthly, you'd also be amazed at what The COW now encompasses.

Even if it's not what looks like an exact match, it's (presumably) a match in audience; that is, no matter what kind of job it is, they're looking for the kind of applicant who reads The COW.

Couple of examples. One of the web's highest-rated general interest podcasts is about knitting. The folks who produce it are active in The COW.

To DRW's example, the most ardent woodworker I've ever met is John Galt, Panavision's Senior Vice President of Advanced Digital Imaging.

The job that I held the longest between my film degree and starting my own production company was as a childcare worker (mostly with 4 and 5 year olds). I saw that job posting EXACTLY where I was looking for work in film, and thought it would be fun. It was more than fun. I loved it. In some ways the most rewarding job I'll ever have. I just found that I was tired of having a runny nose 10 months a year, and that $11,000 for a full-time job was hard to live on for long in Boston. (DRW can tell you about that too.)

(And David, managing kids is no harder than managing clients. Pretty much the same job, minus the runny nose. If you can take care of the screaming in one job, you can do it in the other.)

I also know of two guys who left this business (one after working at LucasArts) to get into organic farming. (I'm more surprised that I know two organic farmers AT ALL than that they both worked in this business.) Another followed his lifelong dream out of video to a company that makes wooden boats. These guys still (barely) dabble in this business, but it's not what they DO. You just never know where a job will take you.

So, in general, if it's a polite post for a legal job, we'll take it.

That said, we're always on the lookout for jobs that are mislabeled. It's definitely a problem to have a low-paying, or no-paying, job listed in the high-paying forum.

But if the listing you saw was actually for a high-paying job in woodworking, I know a guy at Panavision who might be interested.

Happy hunting!

Tim

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: Job Postings
by on Apr 2, 2009 at 4:07:21 pm

Actually, I remembered another aspect of this. I know a venture capitalist who's a very, very frequent user of the COW. His first degree is in communications, but his second is finance, and he's a big, big wig (whig?) in the London community. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him post a job listing here, simply because he knows from experience that the COW is full of all kinds of unlikely experts.

Not that he has any job openings I know of. My guess is that jobs are pretty tight in that sector.

Insert wry observation/ironic punchline here.

tw

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Job Postings
by on Apr 2, 2009 at 4:30:31 pm

[Tim Wilson] "And David, managing kids is no harder than managing clients. Pretty much the same job, minus the runny nose. If you can take care of the screaming in one job, you can do it in the other."

Actually Tim, I got my start teaching kids a long, long time ago when I was just a wee teenager. In fact, I'd forgotten, and now that you mention it, I need to add the following info to my resume.

In one job taught underprivileged children in New Orleans in the Headstart Program, and in another I taught trainable mentally retarded children, also in the New Orleans Public Schools. Both were quite rewarding.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

luke dollardRe: Job Postings
by on May 20, 2009 at 12:48:26 am

i would like to add, and perhaps its already explained that people posting int he higher pay section actually offer higher pay.

One recent posting was for $15-$20 an hour, i dont really think that constitutes higher pay does it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]