CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

LinkedIn Group

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen SmithLinkedIn Group
by on Feb 24, 2009 at 9:02:44 pm

What would you say are the advantages of belonging to a Linkedin group such as the Creative Cow group?

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Tim WilsonRe: LinkedIn Group
by on Feb 25, 2009 at 6:34:05 am

Just a few off the top of my head:

--The combination of groups you belong to gives a more complete picture of you than your resume alone. I intentionally joined some groups waaaay outside my business interests, that tell you things like I'm from New York City, work in Boston, from home (the group name for that one is Pajama Nation - love it!), that I like watching "Lost" (in the running for best TV show ever), olive oil and da Vinci. I'm glad that people know all of that about me before we start to talk.

--Job recruiters use groups. You'd be amazed how many headhunters are in the Cow group. Several joined the group AFTER they'd placed people from job listings in the Cow. I've also been contacted directly by several headhunters, including one with a job I'd actually have interviewed for if I didn't already have the best gig on the planet.

--Once you're a member of a group, you can search it. For example, I can see that there are at least a dozen people in the Cow group from your home state of Utah - and one of them is named Steve Smith! Maybe he's hiring. :-) In any case, searching groups is a great way to make new, useful connections using the criteria that matter to YOU. Going back to the first reason, I've heard from media people working in Boston, Avid alumni, and people producing video for non-profit agencies (which I used to do).

It's allllll about making connections. I have no idea if I'll actually use them for anything...but how many of your friends, acquaintances, or colleagues do you "use" in that sense? Hardly any, right? Maybe none. We make the connections to expand ourselves as we expand our circle.

There are other reasons, but that's the gist.

Any thoughts in reply?

I've got one -- join the Cow group already! :-) And get your pals to join. There are surely more than a dozen Cows from Utah.

Return to posts index

Stephen SmithRe: LinkedIn Group
by on Feb 25, 2009 at 4:00:09 pm

Tim, thanks for your thoughts. It sounds like you need to write an article on networking.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Return to posts index

by on Feb 26, 2009 at 5:46:21 pm

[Tim] Any thoughts in reply?

I learned about Linkedin a few years ago and set up an account only because I did not want to say no to a friend. Occasionally someone would ask me to be their contact. Two weeks ago, Lone Peak Productions... the company I work for talked about throwing a 30th birthday party. I went through our contact list and realized that some of our contacts no longer worked where are contact information said they did. I then remembered that one of these individuals was linked in to me. I opened my Linkedin account and sure enough, his updated contact information was right there.
I feel Linkedin is a great way to stay in contact with people you might want to reconnect with or invite to a 30th birthday party. An address book that updates itself. What a great idea.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: LinkedIn Group
by on Feb 26, 2009 at 9:05:51 pm

[Stephen Smith] "An address book that updates itself. What a great idea."

You originally asked about groups -- this is my favorite use of LinkedIn as an individual.

A close second is keeping up with people in my friends' networks who wouldn't be in my own direct network.

(Although some people pack up their networks more like a phone book than an address book. A perfectly valid strategy, but not one that I have the attention span for.)

I routinely turn down requests to join other networking platforms, though. They all seem reasonable enough, and I joined a couple...but I quit them all but LinkedIn. That is really all that my pea brain can handle at one time.

PS. Swung by your updated website. Nice before and after examples from Color! Feel free to whip up some tutorials in that direction too....

Return to posts index

by on Mar 2, 2009 at 10:38:56 pm

Yes, I did only ask about Groups. Sorry to change the horse mid stream. I didn't understand what purpose they served, until you wrote that they tell onlookers something more about yourself. Thanks for the words of wisdom.
As for our website. I'm trying my best to keep it updated, but as you can see I'm a little behind in the entries. We've been so busy it has kept us from updating it as often as we should. I think that is a great problem to have, especially right now. Thanks for the nice words on the Color samples, that was a lot of fun.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]