CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

Index of advertisers?

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom BrooksIndex of advertisers?
by on Feb 14, 2009 at 1:28:05 pm

Is there a list of the current advertisers on the COW? Once in a while I want to pursue a product that I see while cruising in a forum but can't find it later.

In addition, I get a recurring feeling that some of the forum leaders are pushing some products and panning others. The information provided here is valuable to me. But I need to know that it is not influenced by the dollars provided by advertisers. I get a bad feeling when a leader strongly promotes one product over and over and calls another product "horrible."

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: Index of advertisers?
by on Feb 14, 2009 at 2:45:52 pm

Couple of notes:

1) Follow the "Sponsors" link in the upper right.

2) With something like 500,000 members of the Cow universe (site, newsletter, magazine, etc.), and over 1.2 million monthly visitors, I assure you that we have zero control over posters. We think it might be nice sometimes, but seriously, it ain't happening.

3) One of the most distinctive elements of the Cow is that people buy their gear. For example, we recently ran a magazine with frequent poster Jeremy Garchow, extolling the virtues of Panasonic's AVC-Intra codec and the HPX200 camera. Yes, Panasonic is a major advertiser...but so is Sony...and Jeremy paid nearly $70,000 to buy that camera and outfit it...and had already spent over $20,000 to buy the lens, which he'd used on an earlier camera. That gives him the right to say that he likes it. :-)

And in the scheme of things, it's reasonable to expect that people are going to say nice things about P-sonic, Sony, AJA, BMD, etc. These are companies with huge installed bases, and long-established reputations. They make good stuff.

4) Our Terms of Service state very plainly that we won't protect advertisers from criticism. Personal attack, yes. But if they step out of line, we protect our *members* in their legitimate criticism.

Most of our sponsors get it. They understand that if they come through, the same critics will then praise them...hopefully. But believe us, we do hear from sponsors looking for protection now and again. :-)

The bottom line is that, with so many varying perspectives, any unwarranted cheerleading in the forums will quickly get shot down. It's why we have so few freestanding reviews -- the entire herd provides real-time reports on every product, every firmware update, every workflow. Stick around for a while, and you'll see just about everyone take their turn in the dunk tank...and in the spotlight. One of the nice things about the relative maturity of the products in our market is that most major vendors get most things right, most of the time....whether they advertise with us or not.

And if they don't, they receive no quarter, whether they advertise with us or not.

Again, we're proud that our sponsors get this, and are willing to face the herd with nothing more than their products and support services to protect them. They clearly identify themselves, frequently with personal email addresses and direct phone lines.

This is a full-contact peer-to-peer community. Our survival, prosperity, and good reputation depends on it.

Regards,

Tim Wilson
Creative Cow

Return to posts index

Tom BrooksRe: Index of advertisers?
by on Feb 15, 2009 at 12:03:17 am

[Tim Wilson] "This is a full-contact peer-to-peer community. Our survival, prosperity, and good reputation depends on it. "

Really well put, Tim. I was attracted to the COW from day one because I felt the information I got here was so straightforward and useful and it comes from people solving the problems themselves on a day to day basis. Seriously, when you are attempting to learn Final Cut with the manual and tutorials and working on deadline at the same time, the forums here can totally save your butt. It's harder to understand the relationship between leaders, writers, and advertisers and how they all fit together. I get it better with your explanation.

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: Index of advertisers?
by on Feb 15, 2009 at 4:38:05 pm

Glad it helped, Tom. I absolutely understand your original question, though. There are so many people, so many posts, and FREE! GET YOURS BY CALLING NOW! 21 BANNERS ON EVERY PAGE! :-) It's easy to miss the exact connections when the whole layout is not clearly spelled out.

Which I don't often get the chance to do. I enjoyed it. It reminds me just how much I love it here.

I'm really glad you've found some help here too.

Best,
Tim

Return to posts index

Post removed.

Bob ZelinRe: Index of advertisers?
by on Feb 20, 2009 at 3:55:40 am

Tom writes -
In addition, I get a recurring feeling that some of the forum leaders are pushing some products and panning others. The information provided here is valuable to me. But I need to know that it is not influenced by the dollars provided by advertisers. I get a bad feeling when a leader strongly promotes one product over and over and calls another product "horrible."

REPLY -
I find this very funny, Tom. HEY AJA, WHERE IS MY MONEY ? I agressively promote AJA because they make superior products. I am one of those people that you are refering to. I am sure that AJA is embarassed to have the "professional association" with me, because of my antics on these forums. This is what free speech, and Creative Cow is all about. Saying what is on your mind. No one is paying me to spew my babble. In contrast, Lacie is a current advertiser of Creative Cow. I hate Lacie products, and bash them on a regular basis. Creative Cow does not censor my comments about Lacie just because they are an advertiser.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Tom BrooksRe: Index of advertisers?
by on Feb 20, 2009 at 1:59:20 pm

Yeah, I get it, Bob. Do what you do. It's a community. Things will be said. Products will have to stand up to the reactions of the community. Why did I buy that lousy Highpoint RAID card? That was a mistake.

Final Cut Pro 6.0.5, Mac OS-X 10.5.5, Quicktime 7.5.5, Adobe Prod Prem CS4, G5 Quad 2.5, Kona-LHe V6, 8.5GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 7800-GT 256MB, G-RAID 2x1TB FW800, 6TB RAID-5 (Enhance E8-ML, Highpoint 2322), Panasonic HVX-200P P2. Also MBP 17" Core 2 Duo 2.5, 4GB, GeForce 8600M GT 512MB.

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: Index of advertisers?
by on Feb 20, 2009 at 6:42:10 pm

[Tom Brooks] "Why did I buy that lousy Highpoint RAID card? That was a mistake."

Which is why we do not have a Highpoint forum here, even though they have asked us to add one multiple times.

I have also unsubscribed repeatedly from their newsletters and mailers that they always seem to get around to resubscribing me to. This makes me assume that they are running web spiders that crawl the net and extract names. I could be wrong but if it's being done manually, you would think that when you get irritated at them after many times of asking to be removed, you'd think that they'd get the message.

I really do not like Highpoint at all.

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]