CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

Creative Cow and trade shows

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob ZelinCreative Cow and trade shows
by on Feb 6, 2009 at 11:49:40 pm

I still like shows. I dont' care what Tim and Ron say.
So I was debating this with a graphics guy today, who said that trade shows are dying off.

So I said "so where would you get to find out about new little companies that dont' have the presence of Adobe, etc. - some little cool company who makes a plug in that you can really use, that can't afford all the big marketing" -

and he replied - "Creative Cow" -

oh, stop smiling you Bovine guys !

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: Creative Cow and trade shows
by on Feb 8, 2009 at 4:03:43 pm

[Bob Zelin] "some little cool company who makes a plug in that you can really use, that can't afford all the big marketing"

So here's the thing. Let's say a small company spends $10,000 to get to a tradeshow. Even at the biggest ones, they'll meet maybe 10,000 people. They'll get 500 leads out of that, maybe 1000. Which by tradeshow standards, will be a steal: $10/lead is unheard of.

Or, they could take that $10,000 and buy a nicely-sized campaign at the Cow website, where they'll reach 70,000+ per day, and over 1.1 million unique visitors per month.

Or a nice campaign. and a dedicated newsletter blast to 250,000 subscribers.

Or if they chose to advertise in the "dead" medium of print, they could buy 4 full-page ads in the Cow magazine.

Or buy the 2-page center spread of the magazine, and a dedicated newsletter blast to $250,000. Or a newsletter blast, and a year of half-page ads, and something in the site.

And sleep in their own beds every night.

Those prices are super-duper approximate, and in some cases wrong, but you get the idea. Needless to say, we can also come up with something that works for much less money. An ad in the Cow magazine starts at $500. The fact is that we come up with special programs for small vendors all the time, and we're proud of it.

It's not that trade shows have NO value. Of course they do. There are a number of Cow vendors who find them critical, and make back far more than they invest. We're proud to support them in their efforts to maximize their success at tradeshows. A blanket statement like "tradeshows are dying" is like saying that print magazines are dying.

(Oops, those ARE dying unless they're the Cow magazine. Studio Monthly has just mailed their last print edition, and we hear that another major player will ship only 3 more.)

So take a look at the articles again. Our point wasn't that tradeshows are stupid. Just that neither Avid nor Apple (and this year, add RED) are stupid, or failing, or ignoring their customers or whatever, because they choose to spend their resources elsewhere.

And that the Cow is also a good place to find out what's going on, including what's happening at tradeshows, and including small vendors who get press in the Cow every day. Some of them, thanks to you!

Tim

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: Creative Cow and trade shows
by on Feb 8, 2009 at 4:34:46 pm

[Tim Wilson] "Let's say a small company spends $10,000 to get to a tradeshow."

That's a pretty cheap tradeshow presence, Tim. We are a pretty small company and we always spent more than that to go to tradeshows like NAB.

[Tim Wilson] "Even at the biggest ones, they'll meet maybe 10,000 people. They'll get 500 leads out of that, maybe 1000. Which by tradeshow standards, will be a steal: $10/lead is unheard of."

Ah, you are ever the generous soul. We never got close to that and we have a pretty large base to meet and draw from. Still, if we met and chatted with 3,000 people I'd be surprised. That was good by the way, as I always left hoarse in the throat anyway.

:o)

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: Creative Cow and trade shows
by on Feb 8, 2009 at 4:37:34 pm

[Ron Lindeboom] "Ah, you are ever the generous soul"

Well, at least conservative. As hard as it is for some people to believe I could ever be conservative, they might have found it impossible to believe my last post if I used the real numbers. :-)

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: Creative Cow and trade shows
by on Feb 8, 2009 at 4:12:36 pm

[Bob Zelin] "I dont' care what Tim and Ron say."

Oh yes you do. C'mon, admit it, Bob!#@!

;)

[Bob Zelin] "So I was debating this with a graphics guy today, who said that trade shows are dying off. So I said "so where would you get to find out about new little companies that dont' have the presence of Adobe, etc. - some little cool company who makes a plug in that you can really use, that can't afford all the big marketing" - and he replied: "Creative Cow" - oh, stop smiling you Bovine guys ! "

Damn, you know us well, don't you, Bob?

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Creativity is a type of learning process where the teacher and pupil are located in the same individual.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]