CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

COW's page layout

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cow
Bob ColeCOW's page layout
by on Jul 11, 2008 at 3:42:59 pm

Love the website, obviously, "but" ...

I find it annoying that whenever I click on a post, I immediately have to scroll down as soon as the page loads. If I don't scroll down all I can see is the large -- too-large,imho -- banner, and a lot of navigation stuff.

Could you downsize the elements at the top of the page, so your users don't have to scroll down every time they want to read a post?

Thanks.

Bob C

MacPro 2 x 3GHz dualcore; 10 GB 667MHz
Kona LHe
Sony HDV Z1
Sony HDV M25U
HD-Connect MI
Betacam UVW1800
DVCPro AJ-D650

Return to posts index

cow
Ron LindeboomRe: COW's page layout
by on Jul 11, 2008 at 3:56:05 pm

[Bob Cole] "Could you downsize the elements at the top of the page, so your users don't have to scroll down every time they want to read a post?"

Uh, no.

If the banners bother you, Bob, then all I can say is the alternative is for us to turn off the site. We are fighting to keep up with the amount of traffic we get and right now we have over a dozen servers and two 100Mbit pipes with unlimited bandwidth -- along with two Cisco routers and a third load-balancing hardware router. It all costs tens of thousands of dollars a month to run, so sorry if it offends you.

Kathlyn and I are not independently wealthy and we had to figure out long ago that if you are going to build something like the COW, it has to be a business. Compromises must be made and some are concessions we make to give you all tons of free services, and some compromises are yours to make -- like putting up with a little inconvenience. If you can't, then there's little I can do or say about it.

We like the interface and are in it all day long and have to deal with the same issues you do, and we do not find the issue egregious. If you do, then that is your opinion.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

cow
Bob ColeiPhone interface
by on Jul 14, 2008 at 3:25:18 am

Easy Pardner! Just trying to make a constructive suggestion. I love the COW and try to catch it every day.

I can't resist saying, my suggestion would not do away with any ads -- but don't have a, um, cow over it. You know best.

btw, I just saw an article in today's NY Times about how websites are being redesigned around the iPhone interface. In the "Slipstream" column, the headline is "On a Small Screen, Just the Salient Stuff." Check it out:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/13/technology/13stream.html?ex=1373601600&en...

Bob C

MacPro 2 x 3GHz dualcore; 10 GB 667MHz
Kona LHe
Sony HDV Z1
Sony HDV M25U
HD-Connect MI
Betacam UVW1800
DVCPro AJ-D650

Return to posts index

cow
Ron LindeboomRe: iPhone interface
by on Jul 14, 2008 at 3:32:18 am

We are already on the iPhone interface and it will be a lighter interface in keeping with the screen size of the unit.

Give us a couple of weeks or so, Bob, and it will be available.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Remember: Burt Bacharach lied. What the world really needs now is an undo button.

Return to posts index

cow
Ron LindeboomRe: iPhone interface
by on Jul 14, 2008 at 3:39:33 am

I thought you were suggesting a lessening of the ads, Bob.
Sorry to have misread you original suggestion. That's what I get for trying to do ten things at once. ;o)

On the suggestion of a lighter header, I really didn't want the cow so small -- Bessie should be bigger. Also, having her pinned up to the left and above the interface as it is now was not something I really wanted but we were in a hurry and so I let it go at the time. As you say, bringing the topmost elements into the image instead of floating above it will cut the better part of two-thirds of an inch from the top.

I've wanted to tighten up the upper part of the frame for some time and I will move that tweak of the design further up the priority stack.

Gimme a bit to make it happen. Thanks for the suggestion.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Remember: Burt Bacharach lied. What the world really needs now is an undo button.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]