CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

Hiding my email address from spammers and such?

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cow
Peter LitwinowiczHiding my email address from spammers and such?
by on Apr 10, 2008 at 8:28:05 pm

What can I do to have you guys hide this email address from outside spam bots? Frankly, I don’t use this email address for anything but to receive posts to our forum (I'm a forum leader) and to receive your newsletter (which I WANT to receive!). I don’t use the email address to send email in any way shape or form. Why are spam people able to retrieve this email so easily? Is there anything you can do to hide this email address from outsiders? Anything I need to set up?

Pete Litwinowicz

Return to posts index

cow
Abraham ChaffinRe: Hiding my email address from spammers and such?
by on Apr 10, 2008 at 8:38:35 pm

Your registered COW email address isn't published to the world by CreativeCOW.net. If you get spam from at that email address is must have been published either in a post by you directly or in some other way. The email address you provide to us is not displayed automatically on any of your posts or on your profile.

If you create a service in our service directory your email address is displayed but only through a graphic image which protect it from harvesters.

Abraham

Return to posts index

cow
Ron LindeboomRe: Hiding my email address from spammers and such?
by on Apr 10, 2008 at 8:49:34 pm

Pete,

We do not display your email address ANYWHERE in the COW, ever. Abraham pointed out that even when we do the service directory, we render the contact info into graphics so that harvesters do not get your address.

But...

If you have ever replied to anyone in a post and used the address as a way to contact you, then harvesters can reap your address as they spider this and every forums or blog site all across the Net.

Nowadays, even using the old ron AT creativecow DOT net display scheme doesn't protect you as there are bots that harvest those things and then concatenate the address and dump it into a database.

Lastly, if you have ever written anyone on a Windows-based machine that later gets infected with an email-system virus, then that system is going to send that address around the world (as you know).

We have taken every possible precaution to hide everyone's email address here and they have not been displayed in over five years now. But we can't control what people do outside our system or even in our system, if it is things like including the address within a post reply.

Best always,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

cow
Peter LitwinowiczRe: Hiding my email address from spammers and such?
by on Apr 10, 2008 at 8:58:31 pm

Thanks for the responses.

I can't remember posting my cow email address on any of my posts... but I'm sure that memory is wrong! I'm just so OVER getting spam and am trying to reduce what gets to me.

Thanks for the fast responses! I'm sure it's my fault for posting the email address as some point.

(And I use a Mac-based email client... so I hope there is less chance of email address proliferation to sapmmers)

pete

Return to posts index

cow
by on Apr 10, 2008 at 9:28:35 pm

[Peter Litwinowicz] "I use a Mac-based email client... so I hope there is less chance of email address proliferation to spammers."

Yes, I use a Mac-based system myself. Unfortunately, I know plenty of PC people who have gotten infected and had my email address in their address books. They began flooding the net with every address in their book and now my email address is pounded with crap. We have to work hard at getting filters set to control it all.

Thankfully, we have a pretty good handle on it now. But there was a time when Kathlyn and I would get four- to six-thousand emails a day.

Now THAT'S spam!

Ouch!

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

cow
George BurbanoRe: Hiding my email address from spammers and such?
by on Apr 12, 2008 at 10:52:09 pm

If you have an email client that will allow you to use aliases, like Mac Mail, then you can create an alias use that alias and then change it from time to time, that will take care of spammers. Not difficult to do.

Return to posts index

cow
by on Apr 13, 2008 at 12:51:22 am

Our system when it gets a bunch of bounce notices will turn off the offending account. So keep that in mind, also.

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

jamshaid aliRe: Hiding my email address from spammers and such?
by on Aug 24, 2008 at 6:04:00 am

i am student of computer science institute in pakistan i will graduate next year i wanted to do somting like what u did the art of talking pictures .....i dont konw that how u did it i have yet to study image processing course so dont konw much ....for 2D doin somthin like identifying the marked area in every frame of video using a cluster and then mapping it to any character ..is it a gud idea for a final year project ...would be very thankful if u can extend some help in this regard would be waiting for your reply

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]