CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

Removing posts

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cow
John SnellingRemoving posts
by on Mar 1, 2008 at 1:59:33 pm

Hi there

I need to remove several posts if this possible?

Can you help?

Return to posts index

cow
Ron LindeboomRe: Removing posts
by on Mar 1, 2008 at 9:49:16 pm

Our Code of Conduct states our policies and terms of service.

Why do you want them off?

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ronlindeboom
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
Join the COW's LinkedIn Group

Now in the COW Magazine: Commercials. A look at the history, strategy, techniques and production workflows of successful commercials. All brought to you by some of the COW's brightest members. Accept no substitutes!

Would you like to be in Creative COW Magazine with your story or contributi...

Do you have your complimentary subscription to Creative COW Magazine yet?

Return to posts index

cow
john SnellingRe: Removing posts
by on Mar 1, 2008 at 9:57:51 pm

I am getting spam emails continually sent to an email address that I used as a signature on some of my posts.

I "googled" this so I email address and the only thing that comes up is the Cow posts - I therefore assume that probably this is the source of the spam (from spiders searching through posts for email addresses).

It is my own fault for doing this but I would be so grateful if you could remove these posts and help me clear my inbox of this spam. There are only a few posts.

Thank you

Return to posts index

cow
Tim WilsonRe: Removing posts
by on Mar 2, 2008 at 1:11:58 pm

The only problem is the email address, so I've edited the posts.

This solves a couple of problems for US too, things to do with threads, archives, etc.

There are a couple of things you can do to prevent this in the future. One is to make your email address less machine-readable -- john at whatever dot com.

I prefer something a little slicker, which I do for all the URLs I use, embedding the link in text with a little HTML. For email, you'd use

John Snelling

The href is obviously your email address.

This does two things. One is to hide your email address from bots, who only see the text. The other is to make your name a clickable link that automatically opens an email to whoever clicks that link, with your email in the "To" field. Much easier for them than cpy, open email, create new email, paste.

Anyway, I hope that helps.

Best,
Tim

PS. As Ron notes, don't ask for this again. :-) And anybody with a lot of posts, forget it. We've created a mechanism to edit your posts, so use it. But I feel your pain, and since this is a Sunday morning, I'll show some mercy. :-)

Tim Wilson, Creative Cow
Get your free subscription to the Cow Magazine!
Join my LinkedIn network

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]