CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

Cow Server problems? (ayeshire)

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darren EdwardsCow Server problems? (ayeshire)
by on Jan 9, 2008 at 3:31:34 pm

Am noticing COW getting slower and slooower and slooooower. Firefox doesn't seem to like the animated ads
either, which doesn't help. Podcast page was particulary
slow today.

My connection varies from 2MB wi-fi hotspots to 20MB+ pipes.

Darren.

x-gf.com

Return to posts index

Robert MorrisRe: Cow Server problems? (ayeshire)
by on Jan 9, 2008 at 9:29:11 pm

I second that. I was wondering the same thing. It takes an average of 2-3 minutes to load each page click on COW. I'm using Firefox as well. Cable high-speed connection. No page should be this slow.

Return to posts index

Abraham ChaffinRe: Cow Server problems? (ayeshire)
by on Jan 10, 2008 at 6:49:40 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys -

We're aware of there being some slowdowns at times. We have and are taking measures to keep our page load times up. Traffic continues to increasing here - our video tutorials, and podcasts which can be weighty at times are getting more downloads, plus the rest of the site.

A few adjustments have been made to weightier pages and we are planning on adding more machines to our farm in the near future.

Feel free to continue to let us know when you experience problems as it's our desire to provide the best service possible.

Abraham

Return to posts index

Robert MorrisRe: Cow Server problems? (ayrshire)
by on Jan 10, 2008 at 7:05:44 pm

I was posting a follow up at the exact same time you posted this. It's definitely the ads that are currently slowing things down. "ayrshire.creativecow.net" to be exact. I posted a detailed explanation of what is happening and what ads I can see. The others that are not loading seem to be the ones causing the slowdown (probably due to broken links or something). I don't really know how that ad stuff works. But obviously it's not doing any good if it's not loading, plus it's slowing down the site immensely.

But again, I just posted a detailed follow-up in this thread. It would take me 7+ minutes to go back and copy and paste it. Maybe the site is working faster for you?

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: Cow Server problems? (ayeshire)
by on Jan 10, 2008 at 10:54:48 pm

[Abraham Chaffin] "We're aware of there being some slowdowns at times."

For those reading this thread later on down the road, please keep in mind that what Abraham refers to is a delay that is measured in seconds, not minutes. We have a battery of servers that make up the COW backbone and we work very hard to keep page download times to a minimum.

When you experience a delay of minutes, it is almost always something happening on your side.

Two things you can do to increase performance if you are experiencing delays is to:
  • Turn off Javascript when you surf the COW
  • Turn off programs like PeerGuardian and other anti-spyware programs that are over-zealous in trying to protect users from sites that use javascript, etc.
We have been doing this for 12 years now and there are hundreds of thousnads of people who make this site their home. If we were trying to do anything underhanded, they would have left long ago...

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ronlindeboom
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
Join the COW's LinkedIn Group

Now in the COW Magazine: Commercials. A look at the history, strategy, techniques and production workflows of successful commercials. All brought to you by some of the COW's brightest members. Accept no substitutes!

Would you like to be in Creative COW Magazine with your story or contributi...

Do you have your complimentary subscription to Creative COW Magazine yet?

Return to posts index

by on Jan 10, 2008 at 6:57:15 pm

It's DEFINITELY the ads. Does any site moderator read this? I'm surprised more people aren't complaining about the slowness of the COW. It seems to have been going on for several days now that I can tell. Here is a breakdown of what I'm noticing:

I have Firefox as the only thing open. Nothing else is sharing my internet connection or computer resources.

http://forums.creativecow.net: 45 seconds to load
http://forums.creativecow.net/forums.php: 3 min. 30 seconds
http://forums.creativecow.net/viewforum/1: 3 min. 30 seconds
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/1/855806: 3 min. 45 seconds

And in my status bar it says "Connecting to ayrshire.creativecow.net..."

And the ads slowly load on the left sidebar ("--" indicates an ad that is apparently broken, causing the slowness):
Blackmagic Design
--
AJA Video Systems
--
--
--
Dulce Systems
--
--
--
--
CalDigit
--
--

PLEASE someone fix this soon otherwise I will have to stop using the COW. Over 11 minutes wait just to get 3 clicks in to view this post is RIDICULOUS! Forget about searching...

Let's see how long before this post actually posts and refreshes. Ugh.

Return to posts index

Abraham ChaffinRe: Cow Server problems? (ayrshire)
by on Jan 10, 2008 at 7:18:43 pm

Hey Robert,

The pages load virtually instantaneous for me - the page I had noticed loading slowly before was the home page which is fixed and is loading instantaneous for me now as well.

If you are having trouble with the ad load times try disabling javascript as this has fixed the problem for other users who had trouble with some ads.

Let us know if that solves the problem so we can better consider a more permanent remedy.

Abraham

Return to posts index

Kathlyn LindeboomRe: Cow Server problems? (ayrshire)
by on Jan 10, 2008 at 7:26:13 pm

I'm finding the pages loading quite fast too, and we're on a somewhat slower dsl connection over here -- but we're definitely looking into possible problems and solutions.

Kathlyn Lindeboom
Mistress of Mmmooooo

Return to posts index

by on Jan 10, 2008 at 8:18:11 pm

I think I actually figured out what the problem was on my end. I did have a process running in the background. A program called PeerGuardian that was apparently blocking some of your ads. I killed that process, and now the pages load instantaneous as they should. I don't recall having this problem with the COW before, but perhaps it was this program running in the background recently. I do understand that ads are necessary to keep the COW alive. Thanks for looking into keeping this site running as smooth and efficient as possible.

Return to posts index

Abraham ChaffinRe: Cow Server problems? (ayrshire)
by on Jan 10, 2008 at 8:28:47 pm

Thanks for the update Robert - this does give us an idea of something that could effect our service.

Take care,

Abraham

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: Cow Server problems? (ayrshire)
by on Jan 10, 2008 at 9:47:20 pm

Besides, Robert, we can't survive if the pages load too slow for you to keep visiting either. :-)

Glad to hear it's working better now.

Thanks,
Tim

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: Cow Server problems? (ayrshire)
by on Jan 10, 2008 at 10:19:10 pm

Also, Robert, please do keep in mind that those "guardian" programs tend to choke on any site that uses Javascripts or Java in the site. They will almost always sit and stare blankly into space with their thumbs twirling, until in a galaxy far, far away, they finally allow the page to load.

We DO get page load time challenges sometimes but it is measured in seconds, not minutes. When it drags into minutes, it is a sure sign that the guardian programs are the issue.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Now in the COW Magazine: Commercials. A look at the history, strategy, techniques and production workflows of successful commercials. All brought to you by some of the COW's brightest members. Accept no substitutes!

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: Cow Server problems? (ayrshire)
by on Jan 10, 2008 at 10:42:32 pm

[Robert Morris] "Does any site moderator read this?"

Yes, we ALWAYS respond, even multiple admins often respond as is the case here, Robert. Why come in and start insulting people??? Sheesh.

If we have to unplug the ads, we will have to unplug the COW as it costs many thousands of dollars a month to support a venture like this one. Without the ads, you wouldn't be here as there would be no site here...

[Robert Morris] "I'm surprised more people aren't complaining about the slowness of the COW."

Most people that come to the COW, trust the COW. The reason they aren't complaining is that it ISN'T happening to MOST people here. In fact, it is always no more than a few in the hundreds of thousands who visit this site each month.

The people who come here using anti-spam software like PeerGuardian, etc., experience the issues you talk about due to the fact that we use both javascripts and java in our site. We couldn't build it without them and programs like PeerGuardian hate these kinds of sites and will always block them.

When we experience slow-downs, they are always measured in seconds. When we get news of people saying it takes MINUTES to load our pages, every time without exception, it has turned out to be these anti-banner programs. If you don't like the banners, I'm sorry but there would be NOTHING here without them. You do not support the half-million+ people that log-in each month, on nothing but good will and best wishes. The ads make it possible.

The ads are necessary. PeerGuardian hates ads. Therein lies the rub...

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]