CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

merry xmas and ny - my posts missing - some...

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Palmosmerry xmas and ny - my posts missing - some...
by on Dec 26, 2007 at 10:39:41 pm

hi there guys
i posted a couple of new messages on a thread from a week ago in the fcp forum. i posted the replies an hour or more ago, but when i went back to the fcp forum they were not visible.
i clicked on my name and could see that the messages i has written were indeed listed as my most recent posts, so they were ingested by the cow, but are not showing on fcp.
the thread is the one called
POLL: How are you archiving?
and i think i have 2 or maybe 3 new posts on the thread.
thanks guys...
have a good one,
mark.

Return to posts index

Abraham ChaffinRe: merry xmas and ny - my posts missing - some...
by on Dec 27, 2007 at 12:16:42 am

Hey Mark,

I see what you are saying -
It doesn't show up in the page
http://forums.creativecow.net/forum/applefinalcutpro/2
The reason for this is the way the thread view is built - only the posts within the time range chosen are grabbed to build the threads. So when you go back in history only choosing a small range of time you won't get responses out of that time frame. The reason it was built this way, rather then taking each thread individually, is to limit the number of quarries performed to the database. There's only 1 quarry needed to find all the posts in that time frame rather than having to ask the database for each threads responses which could end up being hundreds of calls and would cause the forums to load much slower.

If you view this page
http://forums.creativecow.net/viewforum/8?age=14
Which shows the last 14 days of the forum you will see the newer posts show up in that view as well as the older ones. The default view for the FCP forum is 7 days so if you are viewing respond to a post 10 days old your response won't be seen in the default forum view but will show up in searches, thread view, read post view, etc.

Your post also shows up in the read post view if you look at the thread on this page
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/8/967171

Your post also shows up in thread view
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/967171#968364

it is active and all who subscribed to receive a notice would be sent one.

Thanks for noticing this - these historical forum pages that let you click and see older threads is rather new as you know so we're discovering their strengths and weaknesses together.

Abraham

Return to posts index

Mark PalmosRe: merry xmas and ny - my posts missing - some...
by on Dec 27, 2007 at 9:15:51 am

Hi Abraham,
thanks for the detailed response!
a feature enhancement would be for a thread containing invisible entries to have a pink triangle which when clicked brings in all the entries for that thread. Or would having that pink triangle work still have to take up the bandwidth you are trying to save?
Tx
Mark

Return to posts index

by on Dec 27, 2007 at 5:04:06 pm

Hey Mark,

Yea - unfortunately any sort of check to the database takes processing time so the goal is to limit the amount of calls you need to display the information. If we were like a Google corporation with 200 machines serving up each page that wouldn't be an issue, though even Google attempts to streamline their processing work flow.

The issue is more in server processing time than bandwidth. The processes run to determine what data needs to be pushed to the end user - the data is what uses the bandwidth. I've made a version of the forums pages that does the sort of calls we're discussing and it loaded much slower, especially the FCP and AE forums which have tons of threads every day. I won't go into detail but building the forums like that has potential to bring our servers to their knees.

Abraham

Return to posts index

Mark PalmosRe: merry xmas and ny - my posts missing - some...
by on Dec 27, 2007 at 6:12:33 pm

Gotcha, thanks Abraham.
I guess if theres a thread i am really into, i will just manually set the thread view back timed to the date the thread was started.
Catcha later, have a great new year and 2008
Mark

Return to posts index

by on Dec 27, 2007 at 6:17:09 pm

Have a great 2008 as well Mark -

Remember you will still get the email notices and the posts will show up when reading the entire thread and/or reading individual posts in that thread.

Take care,

Abraham

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]