CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

3D text tutorial gone missing

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jez Curnow3D text tutorial gone missing
by on Dec 4, 2007 at 1:15:21 pm

OK

Forgive me if this is posted in the wrong place.

I was thinking about using some 3D text in a project I am working on. Last week I found a great tutorial that was different to the ones up there at present. I thought I'd book-marked it but Firefox has scuppered me or I mustn't have actually book marked it.

The tutorial was by two guys, one of which had to retire half way through the tutorial due to sleep deprivation, (funny at the time and we've all been there!). Can anybody point me in the right direction, I've searched all the tutorials and think I am now wasting time looking.

Has it been removed? Or did I dream the whole thing?

Return to posts index

Abraham ChaffinRe: 3D text tutorial gone missing
by on Dec 4, 2007 at 5:46:53 pm

Someone else may be able to remember this specific tutorial but if we have a tutorial on 3D text specifically you should be able to find it using our tutorials search engine. Here's a search for 3D text - one of these should be what you're looking for.

If not - what program was it for?

Abraham

Return to posts index

Jez CurnowRe: 3D text tutorial gone missing
by on Dec 4, 2007 at 7:01:38 pm

Apologies, it was for After Effects.

Return to posts index

Abraham ChaffinRe: 3D text tutorial gone missing
by on Dec 4, 2007 at 7:07:12 pm

Well that isolates it a bit further. I'm not sure about the tutorial you were referring to where someone was deprived of sleep but a search using your criteria in our library renders 3 results:
http://library.creativecow.net/search.php?q=%223D+text%22+%22After+Effects%...

Maybe someone else will remember an article with your other criteria.

Hope this helps,

Abraham

Return to posts index

by on Dec 4, 2007 at 8:31:38 pm

Thanks for your help. I've looked through all of the AE tutorials I can find listed and none of the afore mentioned is the one I was looking for. It was interesting because it not only created the 3D text but also added some "light-streaks" on its movement and how to add environment reflection maps.

I mentioned the bit about sleep deprivation because that is what made it quite distinctive, one Spanish-sounding chap started it and then obviously let his friend take over half way through the tutorial and they made a bit of a joke about it. But it also offered a way of doing things that Aharon, Peter and Traylor don't cover in in theirs.

Thats what makes me think it was removed, or I'm being daft and didn't find it on CC - (wish the history in my firefox went back a week or so!).

Thanks for searching though!

Jez

Return to posts index

by on Dec 5, 2007 at 3:11:24 pm

Hi Aharon,

Spot on! That is the one.

Where did my search go wrong? I listed all the AE tutorials I could find and didn't see it appear in the list.

Anyway thank you and kind regards,
Keep up the good work!

Jez

Return to posts index

Aharon RabinowitzRe: 3D text tutorial gone missing
by on Dec 5, 2007 at 3:18:18 pm

Look at the name of the tutorial. It's not called 3D text. It covers text in there, but only as part of the whole thing. So searching for 3D text would not bring it up.

Best,

Aharon

Aharon Rabinowitz
Email: arabinowitz (AT) yahoo (DOT) com
All Bets Are Off Productions, Inc.
Creative Cow After Effect Podcast
Internet Killed the Video Star: A Guide to Creating Video for the Web

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: 3D text tutorial gone missing
by on Dec 5, 2007 at 3:44:18 pm

Yes, we found an old 60's home study course laying around the office, the old Marvel Comics home study course on "Mind Reading: How to Impress Your Friends & Girls with Your New-found Abilities!" and since Aharon went through it, he has been nothing less than amazing. I've been so impressed, I was thinking of sending him my collection of sea monkeys also. They really do need a new home, they've been swimming upside down for a while and they kind of smell funny and the water's getting all green and stuff...

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ronlindeboom
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
Join the COW's LinkedIn Group

Now in the COW Magazine: Commercials. A look at the history, strategy, techniques and production workflows of successful commercials. All brought to you by some of the COW's brightest members. Accept no substitutes!

Do you have your complimentary subscription to Creative COW Magazine yet?

Return to posts index

by on Dec 5, 2007 at 4:00:11 pm

I had Sea Monkeys, as my first pets. They were awesome. If you turned out the lights and put a flashlight on the tank, they did flips.

Not a single one ever waved to me like they did in the pictures in the comic books, but they did wear hats and sunglasses.

And you thought brine shrimp were just good whale food...

Anyway, I eventually moved up to fish, then lizards, then birds, then hamsters, and then finally cats. It's been a long walk up the evolutionary ladder.

Aharon Rabinowitz

Return to posts index

by on Dec 5, 2007 at 8:20:49 pm

LOL :-)

Q. Infinite Sea Monkey Theorem. If you had an infinite number of Sea Monkeys and an infinite number of waterproof consoles how long would it take for one to come up with a definitive guide to JavaScript for After Effects?

Thanks guys, I wasted far too much time the last couple of days searching for that tutorial (I know, should have worked it out myself!), but I duly bought a bottle of Californian wine this evening in homage to you guys!

Jez

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: 3D text tutorial gone missing
by on Dec 5, 2007 at 9:49:46 pm

I believe that the sea monkeys have already written the definitive guide to JavaScript for After Effects -- it was done last May, wasn't it, Aharon?

I also believe that the language was just a bit rough so the publishers rejected it. Ever the humanitarian, Aharon (realizing that you can't reject sea monkeys like this without permanently scaring their little souls) is working with them to do volume two of his web compression guide, to be entitled "Javascript Killed the Video Star."

Please keep that bottle of California wine away from Aharon as I heard that he tried to share a bottle with the sea monkeys I sent him and the poor things have been toasted all week. (There will be no end to the typos now!)

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ronlindeboom
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
Join the COW's LinkedIn Group

Now in the COW Magazine: Commercials. A look at the history, strategy, techniques and production workflows of successful commercials. All brought to you by some of the COW's brightest members. Accept no substitutes!

Do you have your complimentary subscription to Creative COW Magazine yet?

Return to posts index

by on Dec 5, 2007 at 9:59:02 pm

Actually the book was called "Sea Monkey's killed my social life." (or at least telling girls I had them did).

Wine shmine. I'm drinking the finest vodka made in Kentucky. And it looks just like water so the sea monkeys don't know what's going on until it's too late.

Aharon Rabinowitz

Return to posts index

by on Dec 6, 2007 at 1:31:16 am

I didn't even know they made Vodka in Kentucky? Isn't that called Moonshine? So that's how JavaScript was devised - Sea Monkeys on Moonshine, it all makes sense now! The evolutionary process has turned full cycle....

.....as for the ladies, plying them with moonshine riddled with Sea Monkeys was probably not your best move! But pussy-cats serving Vodka? As Jack says in the Shining "You set 'em up and I'll knock 'em back Lloyd. One by one"!

Well my vino is gone but the AE renders are looking great! A wee dram (as we say in Scotland), and I'll review my renders in the morning!

Look forward to volume 2 of the compression guide - written by sea monkeys of course!

:-)

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: 3D text tutorial gone missing
by on Dec 7, 2007 at 9:39:34 pm

You'd be amazed at where they make vodka. Or maybe you wouldn't. At the bottom of this you'll find the label for Cossack Vodka, distilled in the Boston suburb of Somerville...or as the folks who live in that town call it, Slum-erville. Nowhere near a slum, but let's just say that even in Somerville, Cossack is notorious for being....notorious.

Working for Boris, I got to witness major league professional vodka consumption. Awe-inspiring to watch the masters of their art. He told me has friends who swear they can name a vodka by tasting it...if it's the only thing they taste, because after that, they all taste the same. :-) He spent lots of money on other kinds of wine and spirits, but recommended buying the cheapest vodka you can get your hands on.

Hence, Cossack, from Somerville, MA.

Cossack, baby

Tim Wilson, Creative Cow
My Cow Blog
Join my LinkedIn network

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]