CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

News Box On Home Page A Little Small?

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Russell LassonNews Box On Home Page A Little Small?
by on Sep 10, 2007 at 1:40:21 pm

Just scrolling through the news today and I found myself getting a little frustrated that the news box was so small. After a little effort to try to get the news full screen, I found the only way to do it was to visit the news thread.

This isn't a huge deal, but I do miss having the headlines be easier to view on a list.

How popular is the news section to the Cow community anyway? Is the smaller box a sign that it isn't as popular as it used to be and that people want to find the forums faster and just by pass the news?

Just wondering.

Thanks for everything!

-Russ

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: News Box On Home Page A Little Small?
by on Sep 10, 2007 at 3:34:00 pm

The box is about the same overall size on screen as the text area within the posts inside our forums. It is almost that big. We are surely not downplaying the forums, are we?

By giving the news to people inside a box with a scrolling bar as we have done, we have let people know that there are many more features there than just news -- which was most of the old interface's front door page.

We also have other items that will shortly be populating the front page. We are doing a bunch of new things across many areas of the COW and so we'll get to the front door a bit later.

As I said, using this layout, we are communicating that there is more to the front door than just news and as the new items populate the page, that message will become even more apparent.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Russell LassonRe: News Box On Home Page A Little Small?
by on Sep 10, 2007 at 4:39:14 pm

That's what I thought. I just find it hard to read the news when I have to scroll through it. Maybe I'm just bad at scrolling :)

I just find my tendency to read the first couple of headlines and move on. I nearly missed the official announcement that Panasonic will be shipping 32GB P2 cards in November because it was so far down on the scroll list.

Anyways, I just wanted to let you know. I'll still go for the news, but I'll probably visit the news forum instead.

I do look forward to the new features though! Keep up the good work!

-Russ

Return to posts index

by on Sep 13, 2007 at 7:46:31 pm

News instantly appears in the text box as it is entered to the news forum. (Our mechanism is reading that forum and displaying it on the front page in the news area.) As each news item is entered, it pushed the others down by one. So, if you had swung by the news items earlier, the news of Panasonic's 32gig cards would have been at the top. But as the mechanism is based on entry time, the newest news always gets the top and moves down sequentially as new news items are added.

Best,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: News Box On Home Page A Little Small?
by on Sep 13, 2007 at 8:13:02 pm

Here's another idea Russell - load up the Cow's news RSS feed. We've got another for tutorials, too.

We've even got AE and FCP-specific RSS feeds.

Or you can do what I recommend, which is to check the Cow every 15 minutes or so. Once an hour on weekends will probably do the trick.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 14, 2007 at 12:55:24 pm

Yeah, what Tim said. ;o)

I always forget about the RSS feeds.

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

cow
Russell LassonRe: News Box On Home Page A Little Small?
by on Sep 20, 2007 at 3:53:41 pm

So the RSS feed works well for me.

Thanks guys!

-Russ

Return to posts index

by on Sep 20, 2007 at 5:07:45 pm

You are welcome, Russell. We are glad that you find it useful.

Best,

Ron, Abraham and All Them Cows

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]