CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

New format

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don GreeningNew format
by on Aug 13, 2007 at 6:44:21 pm

I like the new look of the forum pages ( <-- feedback ). Loads faster, too. I'll bet TIm had a hand in it. And of course, Eric......and Kathlyn.........and Ron........

- Don

Return to posts index

AbrahamRe: New format
by on Aug 13, 2007 at 6:45:57 pm

Cool - glad you like it.
Please feel free to mention anything that might not work right as I'm sure there are still bugs here and there.

Abraham

Return to posts index

Don GreeningRe: New format
by on Aug 13, 2007 at 6:48:02 pm

Okay.

- Don

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: New format
by on Aug 13, 2007 at 7:11:00 pm

I had precisely ZERO to do with the new look. Ron's hated how The COW has looked pretty much from day 1. The goal was to get it up, and fix the look later. Turns out much later.

Ron mapped out the design, Abraham implemented. I'm a happy cow downstream, just like everyone else.

Thanks for thinking I have good taste, though. I really don't. :-)

tw

Return to posts index

by on Aug 13, 2007 at 7:16:32 pm

Bret Williams came up with the design, Eric and I worked on getting it working in the COW. Still a few loose ends to get working but I'm sure by the end of the week everything should be working smoothly.

Abraham

Return to posts index

by on Aug 14, 2007 at 4:38:13 am

[Abraham] "Bret Williams came up with the design"

Oops! Yes, Ron told me about Bret. Apologies for leaving him out, and Eric too.

See? The list of people who aren't me is getting longer. :-)

Return to posts index

Gary MilliganRe: New format
by on Aug 14, 2007 at 10:14:47 pm

Works for me!... with one exception - the "Mark as Read" function doesn't seem to. Perhaps that's one of the bugs that you already know about and are working on as I speak. And to get really picky, I much prefer the orange color of "marked as read" posts - or at least something with a little more contrast to the blue... but it's nothing that will keep me from grazing on a daily basis. Love the COW!!

Gary

Return to posts index

by on Aug 14, 2007 at 11:15:41 pm

I'd imagine the Mark as Read script will be up and running again in the next few days, if not tomorrow.

I did like the visited links orange as well.

Thanks for the feedback!

Abraham

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
by on Aug 15, 2007 at 7:53:39 am

Bret Williams has always demonstrated his extensive knowledge in all things video, but I wasn't aware of his web site abilities. A talented, multifaceted individual to be sure. Congrats to you, Bret.

- Don

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
Ron LindeboomRe: New format
by on Aug 16, 2007 at 2:38:16 pm

Thanks, Don, for noticing. I am the one who went out and found the look I wanted, as I have always hated the way the COW looked but was always too busy to go back and do it the way I wanted it to be. When I checked out the sites of various COW members and what they had done for themselves and others, I liked what I saw in Bret Williams' work. So I wrote Bret and asked him what he could do for the COW and brought him on board. Then I hired Abraham to pull it off. He did a killer job and did it in days.

It's the first time that I have ever liked the COW interface.

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

by on Aug 16, 2007 at 2:41:35 pm

PS: I am sorry to disappoint you that I had anything to do with it. ;o)

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

by on Aug 16, 2007 at 4:06:56 pm

[Ron Lindeboom] "PS: I am sorry to disappoint you that I had anything to do with it. ;o)"

Ah, but you did have something to do with it: you were smart enough to see and utilize the talent in others. What was it that Franklin used to say? Paraphrasing: "If you want to be great, surround yourself with great people."

Now there's a voice I've been really missing around here.

- Don

"Please take a moment to fill out your profile, including your computer system and relevant software."

Return to posts index

by on Aug 16, 2007 at 4:49:56 pm

[Don Greening] "Ah, but you did have something to do with it: you were smart enough to see and utilize the talent in others."

Andrew Carnegie (founder of US Steel, the Carnegie Libraries, Hall, University, et al), said it best and had the words carved into his gravestone: Here lies a man who gathered about himself, men much greater than himself.

Me, I have always looked for great talent and when I sketched out what I wanted in an interface and went looking through various COW member sites, it was Bret Williams work that most closely matched what I saw in my desire for the COW.

Fortunately, Abraham was able to quickly implement it and did it in record time. Not only that, but he did it in a way that will allow users to eventually set the COW into "prefs-based" subsets that allow them greater control of their COW experience. That was something I had ear-marked for farther down the road but Abe rolled up his sleeves and got it partially implemented in this revision.

In time, I'll finally get the COW to where I have wanted it to be -- even if it kills the guys around me. ;o)

[Don Greening] "Franklin: Now there's a voice I've been really missing around here."

You can catch Franklin online on his virtual world podcast, Second Life. If you search at the iTunes Store for Franklin McMahon or Second Life, it will show up. He also does Rumor Girls and one about models, I think.

It was a matter of a divergence in directions and also one of simple economics, Don. Quarterly, we could pay to keep Franklin on staff or make an issue of Creative COW Magazine (which in the beginning we did quarterly). The costs were roughly about the same and the benefit to the COW that has come through the magazine has been one of the most successful projects in the COW, second only to the COW itself.

We miss Franklin's enthusiasm here at the COW, but we are also delighted that the experiment with the magazine has proved to be a better use of the COW's limited resources than were the costs associated with the COW News podcast. (Franklin was a great host, but podcasts are still quite new and magazines, while old technology, have an acceptance that podcasts won't likely attain for quite some time. When they do, we have no doubt Franklin will be one of the driving forces in that future success. He's a great guy and his podcasts are very well done.)

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

by on Aug 18, 2007 at 8:14:40 pm

[Ron Lindeboom] "[Don Greening] "Franklin: Now there's a voice I've been really missing around here.""

[Ron Lindeboom] "...we are...delighted that the experiment with the magazine has proved to be a better use of the COW's limited resources"

My favorite thing about the magazine is the number of new voices it introduces. Yes, we've had some of our highest-profile leaders write for us -- including Nick Griffin, Walter Biscardi, Bob Zelin and Aharon Rabinowitz among others.

But for each of them, we have a dozen or more Cow members who've never written an article before.

These new voices display an astonishing array of creativity. They explored new business models. They provide insights into unexplored realms within our industry.

And yes, thanks to these striking new voices, we've boldly gone where no other magazine in our industry has even imagined. There has really, truly never been anything remotely like the Cow Magazine as a showcase for so many different voices.

Seriously, take a look at the rest of them. They feature the same writers again and again. Most of those writers write for other magazines as well, often in the very same month.

One of the most distinctive and important aspects of The Bessie Bovine Experience is how many voices you'll hear. I can't even believe how lucky I am to work on a magazine that helps elevate them.

Insert your favorite Hendrix reference here,
Tim

Return to posts index

by on Aug 21, 2007 at 12:27:37 am

I think that the essence of what Creative Cow really is was demonstrated perfectly in Walter's recent blog article. He could have perhaps hired locally to get his shop re-wired, but instead chose to take advantage of Creative Cow's attributes and contact Bob Zelin. Walter obviously chose wisely. Here now begins yet another lifelong friendship and collaboration because of what Creative Cow is.

When I first stumbled into this place I couldn't help thinking about what a unique name the COW has. All other forum-based multimedia web sites have names that hint at what is discussed but then are not easily remembered, nor do they stand out in a crowd. Not like Creative Cow.

Surely, this is one of those instances where the whole is worth much more than the sum if its parts. Call it whatever you want: Spirit of COW or Essence of Cow, but if you were able to bottle it you'd make a Zelin bucks.

- Don

Return to posts index

by on Aug 21, 2007 at 1:39:22 pm

Thanks, Don, for the vote of confidence. After the recent drubbing that Kathlyn and I took online, we were beginning to wonder why we still do this.

Thank you for helping to restore our faith in the masses and for reminding us that -- while there are always those who have their own little agendas and are counted in handfuls -- the 400,000+ visitors who frequent the COW year-in and year-out, are good people who "get it."

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Post removed.

Bob Robertsgreat job, but...
by on Aug 23, 2007 at 12:14:17 am

I don't like that the individual forums are not accessible through the main page anymore.

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: great job, but...
by on Aug 23, 2007 at 1:58:44 am

They aren't? :)

You might want to look a bit harder, there are actually two ways to get to the forums from the front door.

Best,

Ron Lindeboom

Why do people say: "Oh you just want to have your cake and eat it too!" Duh. What good is cake if you can't eat it?

Return to posts index

Bob RobertsRe: great job, but...
by on Aug 23, 2007 at 4:39:34 pm

Well, yes and no...

For example, in the current layout, if I want to get to the Final Cut forum I would go COW >> FORUMS >> FINAL CUT. Whereas in the old layout it would be COW >> FINAL CUT because the entire list was available on the root level along the left.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Cow. But, the new layout actually put an additional barrier between the user and the forums.

Just a bit of friendly feedback. Enjoy.

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: great job, but...
by on Aug 23, 2007 at 10:09:41 pm

You are joking, aren't you? Please don't tell me that people are unable to click a button to get what they want???

To be honest, it is actua;lly faster in many occasions to click the upper forums link that it would have been to scroll the page down and find the forum in the list of on-going tiny text. For the few occasions that are not faster, we'll opt for the majority and the new look.

The forum list is gone and it won't be coming back. There are two ways to get at the forums and if that's not good enough, then I don't know what else to say except that if that's a "barrier," then you are entitled to your opinion but it doesn't mean that we are going to change it.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]