CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

COW Articles: HDV Format part 2: ProRes for HDV, with a splash of Color

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cow
COW ArticlesCOW Articles: HDV Format part 2: ProRes for HDV, with a splash of Color
by on Jun 13, 2007 at 9:47:15 pm

A...

As promised, here's part 2 of our preliminary look at The COW's Collected Wisdom on ProRes. The update from last week: 215 ProRes posts in the past week. That's right: the pace of ProRes posts has more than doubled. And they're spread across 11 forums. Nobody can possible keep up with all this!

Except for us. You took the effort to write 215 ProRes posts last week, so we've read each and every one of them and summarized the highlights for you here.

The big stories in part 2: ProRes for HDV, with a splash of Color. We've also got the latest tech notes from Apple, documentation you might have missed, and updates on the latest supported mice. R...

Kathlyn Lindeboom
Creativecow.net

Return to posts index

cow
Jeron CoolmanRe: COW Articles: HDV Format part 2: ProRes for HDV, with a splash of Color
by on Jun 15, 2007 at 8:04:15 pm

Tim,

Great article! Really good idea/paradigm. I'd love to see more like this for other topics.

Sorry if I missed this in either one of them, but my questions/concerns are this...

Will I ever be able to use ProRes as an intermediate codec in other NLEs than FCP on my Windows XP (soon to be Vista) machine?

More specifically, will I ever be able to ingest HD-SDI through my Xena card into ProRes and edit that in Premiere Pro and work with the ProRes media files in After Effects on my Microsoft Operating System?

I'm not too clear how the codec is licensed and what Apple's plans are for it. I can see benefits to them keeping it just to FCP (ala DNxHD and Avid), but I could see benefits to them opening it up to other applications and operating systems.

Thanks,

Jeron

Return to posts index

cow
Tim WilsonRe: COW Articles: HDV Format part 2: ProRes for HDV, with a splash of Color
by on Jun 15, 2007 at 8:58:20 pm

[Jeron Coolman] "ProRes and edit that in Premiere Pro and work with the ProRes media files in After Effects"

Head over to Cineform fast. They have exactly what you're looking for. It's now spreading, but it was developed for Premiere on Windows first. That's a pretty big advantage right there, but there are others: cross-platform if you need to work with macs, rt capture to both .avi and QT, After Effects support, AJA Xena support, and many other advantages for higher end workflows (444 support, 2K, and so on).

It's not free, but it's very very good, and its optimized for you in particular.

[Jeron Coolman] "I'm not too clear how the codec is licensed and what Apple's plans are for it."

For now, it's FCP-only. It appears (although nobody has confirmed this for me) that it's not even a codec that you can render to on another machine...unless it has FCP installed.

I have no idea beyond that. So I'm going to guess Mac-only for the foreseeable future. That said, I wouldn't want to be the one guessing whether FCP will come to Windows. It certainly started there.....

Several folks have asked me to do a follow-up looking at all the codecs more broadly, and one of these days I just might.

In the meantime, I hope this helps you get started. Thanks for the kind words! And good luck!

Best,
Tim

Return to posts index

Post removed.

Post removed.

Post removed.

Post removed.

Post removed.

Post removed.

Post removed.

Post removed.

Post removed.