CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

thread changes why?

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cow
Evan Meadesthread changes why?
by on Feb 19, 2007 at 2:20:25 am

Hi, I've noticed the forum threads are in a different format now which I'm not sure if i like! It used to be good to "see" the actual length of a discussion (posts) and it was easy to see a popular thread. Now, it just lists the thread topic and the "number" of responses...not easy like before visually seeing. What i mean now I have to really look and see how many posts by the number, which macks it less friendly & quick!

Is there a preference for forum thread display options now?

Also, on Safari (Mac 10.4), the "mark posts as read" doesn't work as when I go back to the main list, they are not marked.

Cheers, still like the Cow and have had it as my home page from back in the WWUG days!

Evan

Return to posts index

cow
Kathlyn LindeboomRe: thread changes why?
by on Feb 19, 2007 at 3:45:31 am

[Evan Meades] "Hi, I've noticed the forum threads are in a different format now which I'm not sure if i like! It used to be good to "see" the actual length of a discussion"

You can still have it the old way. Just click on the green "T" and it will return to thread view. Glad you've been with us all these years Evan. I, personally prefer the thread view but a lot of people were pushing for the "topic" view which people are now used to, so we thought we'd set it as the default -- it's been available for years as well as the date view.

But as I said, you should be able to set your cookies to remember that you want the thread view.

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Lindeboom
The Mistress of Mmmooooo!

Return to posts index

cow
CowdogRe: thread changes why?
by on Feb 19, 2007 at 3:53:40 am

[Kathlyn Lindeboom] "Just click on the green "T" and it will return to thread view."

There are two of them, one just to the left of each thread, that is not the one. The one Kathlyn's pointing to is the one just below the host pictures, next to the date range pulldown. There's a red one, a green one and a blue one -- each changes the forum view to a different style. You want the green one.

Yer pal,

Cowdog

visit my homepage

Return to posts index

cow
Andy EdwardsRe: thread changes why?
by on Feb 19, 2007 at 8:36:08 pm

[Kathlyn Lindeboom] "But as I said, you should be able to set your cookies to remember that you want the thread view."

Do you have any pointers on how to do this for IE, Firefox or Safari? I am using my laptop with Safari this week and noticed the default change as well. It sure ads some extra clciks when your power browsing 30 - 40 forums and have to reset each forum you click on. Appreciate any tips you can provide on reseting the cookie as I can't find it in the Safari preferences.

Thanks,
Andy

Return to posts index

cow
Tim WilsonRe: thread changes why?
by on Feb 19, 2007 at 10:06:49 pm

If your browser is in a state where you don't have to log in every time you come to The COW, you're all set. The same cookie that remembers your identity is what remembers your view preference.

FWIW, my favorite view is Date view. I want to see the most recent posts, even if the thread itself isn't new. It's a way to track "hot" conversations and not just recent ones. The fact is that I'm in each view a couple of times every visit.

That's why they call 'em preferences. :-)

Best,
Tim

Return to posts index

cow
Andy EdwardsRe: thread changes why?
by on Feb 21, 2007 at 9:18:18 am

Thanks for chiming in Tim. After posting my question I spent a day off and on using the new default view. I'll just have to give it a shot and see if it grows on me. I guess after all these years of browsing the Cow, I got used to a certain view. But as they say, change can be good :-)

Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]