CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

admin: Tim Wilson joins Creative Cow executive team as new Assoc. Pub./Assoc. Dir.

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Lindeboomadmin: Tim Wilson joins Creative Cow executive team as new Assoc. Pub./Assoc. Dir.
by on Sep 5, 2006 at 10:49:00 pm

Hi All,

It's been hard to keep secret but we can finally announce that Tim Wilson has officially joined Creative Cow. Yes, you read that right: Tim Wilson is now a part of Creative Cow. Tim's new duties here include Associate Publisher of Creative COW Magazine and Associate Director of the CreativeCow.net website.

Before joining the Creative Cow team, Tim spent the last three years at Avid Technology, where he has served as Senior Product Marketing Manager. His responsibilities there included Avid Xpress Pro, Avid Xpress Studio, and Avid Media Composer, among others. Before Avid, Tim worked as the Director of Marketing for Boris FX and was the product manager for their flagship package, Boris Red. Many longtimers here may remember that before Boris, and long before Avid, Tim Wilson worked with us for a number of years as a strong part of our team. We are delighted to again be working with Tim Wilson and we know that with his vision and enthusiasm, there are many great things to come out of his involvement in the Cow.

Tim will slowly phase into his duties over the month of September, taking a well-earned break before jumping into his new duties at Creative Cow. Please join us in welcoming Tim Wilson to the Creative Cow Team.

If you wish to welcome Tim, please post in the COWmunications forum at:
http://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/new_view_posts.cgi?forumid=1

Read the complete official press announcement at:
http://press.creativecow.net/tim_wilson_joins_cow.html

###

Return to posts index

Shane SokoloskyRe: admin: Tim Wilson joins Creative Cow executive team as new Assoc. Pub./Assoc. Dir.
by on Sep 5, 2006 at 11:06:59 pm

How's it going Tim? Glad to hear the good news!

Shane Sokolosky

SAN Product Manager
ProMax Systems inc.
16 Technology Dr. Ste.106
Irvine, CA. 92618

Office (949) 727-3977 x108
Toll free (877) 776-6292
Fax (949) 727-7002
Website-http://www.Promax.com
shane.sokolosky@promax.com

Return to posts index

Jim HarveyRe: admin: Tim Wilson joins Creative Cow executive team as new Assoc. Pub./Assoc. Dir.
by on Sep 5, 2006 at 11:14:23 pm

I'd like to be one of the first to welcome you here at the Cow. Your knowledge and experience will enhance the already excellent publication. We'll be looking forward to your "signature" on upcoming issues.

Return to posts index

Timothy J. AllenRe: admin: Tim Wilson joins Creative Cow executive team as new Assoc. Pub./Assoc. Dir.
by on Sep 5, 2006 at 11:39:58 pm

I'm SO happy to hear that Tim Wilson is back in a role where he can contribute more to Creative Cow. Tim has been a big influence on me through his forum posts, even as far back as the old Media 100 group on the WWUG. I look forward to learning even more in the near future.

Congratulations to Tim and to the rest of the Cow team on what promises to be a great new chapter in the Cow's history.

-Tim

Return to posts index

Mark NoadRe: admin: Tim Wilson joins Creative Cow executive team as new Assoc. Pub./Assoc. Dir.
by on Sep 6, 2006 at 12:10:01 am

Hey Tim,

Welcome back and good luck. I enjoyed talking Boris Red w/ you at Terry Curren's Editor's Lounge, and I think I actually got Red phone support from you once! I'll keep an eye out for you on the Cow.

Mark

Return to posts index

rond13Re: admin: Tim Wilson joins Creative Cow executive team as new Assoc. Pub./Assoc. Dir.
by on Sep 6, 2006 at 1:06:58 am

Congratulations, Tim!

We'll miss you, as one of the stand-up guys at Avid ... and wish you all good successes in your new venture.

Best,
Ron Diamond

Return to posts index

Tim KolbRe: admin: Tim Wilson joins Creative Cow executive team as new Assoc. Pub./Assoc. Dir.
by on Sep 6, 2006 at 12:33:45 pm

Tim Wilson, my goodness...things have come full circle.

It doesn't seem so long ago we were posting on the M100 forum on the WWUG and I recall being a little envious of your move into the corporate world. :-)

Good to have you back in the fray, Tim.

Hopefully we'll run into each other at a tradeshow sometime at a moment when we both aren't dragging roller suitcases to a demo session or a meeting in opposite directions...

Welcome, old-timer... :-)

TimK,

Kolb Productions,
Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net

Return to posts index

Imaje WolferRe: admin: Tim Wilson joins Creative Cow executive team as new Assoc. Pub./Assoc. Dir.
by on Sep 6, 2006 at 1:32:32 pm

Chalk one up for the Cow! Tim Wilson is an asset for any company---now that he belongs to the COWmunity, he will be an even bigger resource! I owe Tim a lot for his assistance on my Avid books and for answering some really difficult questions that readers wanted to know. Welcome, Tim!

Jaime Fowler

Return to posts index

Scott Paul DunhamWelcome O Chroma-shirted Guru Man!
by on Sep 7, 2006 at 1:24:42 am

Tim.
I weep with JOY at this news! I am so happy. I can't wait to work with you in this new capacity. And I'm looking forward to seeing you back in your oh-so-colorful shirts!!! I know you'll be very busy in the coming weeks, but do get in touch when you have time! So much to catch up on!
Ron and Kathlyn, you guys just keep the hits comin'! I'm very proud to be a COW man!

Scott

COW Forum Leader (Shepherd) for:
SEMAFX Network Forum

Return to posts index

akmaniakRe: admin: Tim Wilson joins Creative Cow executive team as new Assoc. Pub./Assoc. Dir.
by on Sep 7, 2006 at 6:32:52 am

Hey Tim

This is your old Baylor friend Dave Murrow. Look forward to seeing you on the links. I'm slowly getting out of video and full time into writing books. Look me up on Amazon!

DM

Return to posts index

Zax DowRe: admin: Tim Wilson joins Creative Cow executive team as new Assoc. Pub./Assoc. Dir.
by on Sep 7, 2006 at 10:28:08 pm

Hey Tim!

Congratulations. Ron's a lucky guy!

Best,
Zax

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: admin: Tim Wilson joins Creative Cow executive team as new Assoc. Pub./Assoc. Dir.
by on Sep 9, 2006 at 12:31:01 am

Wow! Thanks everyone! Sorry for showing up late. Rather than reply to each post, I'm going to try a "lightning round" response to all of them at once:

1) Shane! Thanks for the good wishes. Give my best to Dan and everyone else at ProMax.

2)Less than half an hour after the news hits -- thanks for your SPEEDY good wishes, Jim!

3) Great to hear from you, Timothy. The last time I saw you was at Avid HQ, and I look forward to crossing paths again soon.

4)Mark! I totally remember talking Red with you at the Editors Lounge. I loved answering the phone at Boris, and will definitely be answering posts at The COW, too.

5)Thanks for tuning in from the desert, Ron!

6)Ah yes, Mr. Kolb, another of the WWUG's grand old men! Corporate life was fun -- we always practiced with white balls, and you never have to carry your own bags in the show -- but not as much as I'm going to have here.

7) Jaime, your books are far better than any help I gave you. Any favors I provided are long repaid with all the stuff I stole from them. :-) Only kidding -- I always gave you credit...but you made me look good.

8)Scott PD, I've been wearing black for way too long. Overdue for some bright shirts for sure.

9)Dave! A long way from college radio to...whatever this is. Thanks for saying hey!

10) Zax! Yes, Ron's a luck guy, and so am I. Ron connected us back in the day, and I look forward to what we come up next.

And Gary Adcock: of course you're going to start your own thread rather than show up number 11 on one already in progress. Nice to know some things never change. :-)

Thanks again, everyone. This is going to be amazing, and already off to a great start.

Best,
Tim

Return to posts index

Adrian AllenRe: admin: Tim Wilson joins Creative Cow executive team as new Assoc. Pub./Assoc. Dir.
by on Sep 14, 2006 at 10:27:24 pm

Congrats Tim welcome on board. I am sure your energy will be greatly appreciated here at Creative Cow.

Adrian Allem

Steadyimage.net/myspace.com/steadyimage

Return to posts index

ron moodyRe: admin: Tim Wilson joins Creative Cow executive team as new Assoc. Pub./Assoc. Dir.
by on Nov 21, 2006 at 5:16:06 pm

I don't see a place appropriate for this comment so I'll attempt it here. If this is the wrong place, perhaps you will move it to the right place on my behalf.

If I'm not mistaken Tim, you wrote an article in issue two of the magazine that looked at Premiere, Final Cut, and Avid's editing software. In that same article, you focused attention on the confused state of video editing related hardware. You summarized by stating that you do and would continue to use Macs as your editing tools.

I am in the process of moving the production facility here on Maui from PC based using Adobe tools to Mac based. What motivates me to this end is to main factors. First, I've been using my own personal hardware and it is now being replaced by my company, so there is no real installed base of hardware/software to influence the decision. And second, Microsoft's Vista and Adobe's forced move to XP when Premiere Pro came out scares me. It scares me because I still remember how much slower XP is that Win2K was. It scares me that this is Microsoft's trend and they seem to push that trend even further than in prior cases, with Vista. And it scares me that Adobe may attempt to remove my choice in the matter. I don't think they realize that some of us won't go kicking and screaming this time. We just won't go at all. If they try, they will lose me as a customer.

Back to the reason for this post. You stated several things in your article, but ended focused on the Mac. This is the way I am leaning (I'm actually in the process of leaping at this very moment). After reading the above, do you have any additional comments related to your article?

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: admin: Tim Wilson joins Creative Cow executive team as new Assoc. Pub./Assoc. Dir.
by on Nov 21, 2006 at 7:03:44 pm

Ron, thanks so much for writing. I'm THRILLED to be at The COW, and am happy to respond anywhere I can. (Although we might have this thread moved to the COW Magazine forum.)

Several points I'd like to clarify. You asked for my opinion, so here it is. Your mileage may vary.

[ron moody] "You summarized by stating that you do and would continue to use Macs as your editing tools."

Actually, I *know* Macs from over 20 years' experience. And that amount of experience with APPLE is why I'll never own another Mac.

I wouldn't even THINK about using one to edit professionally.

Especially in the context of the article, I wanted to make clear that my slamming of Apple doesn't come from ignorance of FCP. It comes from over 24 years of experience with Apple.

Please read on for details.

[ron moody] "Adobe's forced move to XP when Premiere Pro"

First, don't forget that it was APPLE that forced Adobe's move off Mac. Premiere had been on Win since 1996, of course, but Adobe still developed it for Mac until Apple muscled them off the platform.

Looking at what Apple is doing to challenge Adobe on core apps like After Effects and Photoshop, and on key technologies like PDF and Flash, I just don't see how any serious media professional who has a choice would mortgage their future to a vendor so hostile to the platform's only remaining major software developer.

(Microsoft counts for many customers, but not so much in the creative area that we're talking about here. And it's not like Apple isn't challenging them too.)

The bottom line for me is that if you care as much about using Adobe apps as I do, you're betting against yourself to work with Apple.

The story isn't any better for hardware vendors, btw. Here's a short list of people that helped put FCP on the map as a serious editor, and that Apple threw right off the map: Matrox (the first RT card for FCP), Digital Voodoo (the first 10-bit IO) and Cinewave (the first HD hardware. ProMax got hosed when they tried to develop hardware for Apple, too.

I could also talk about the number of pro dealers that Apple has burned -- indeed, nearly all of the nation's Mac VARs joined together in a class-action lawsuit against Apple -- but that would be sort of piling on. You get the point.

So yes, I built my business as an all-Mac shop. But my shop is now all PC, as is my home. (Both are all AMD/ATI, btw.)

[ron moody] "I still remember how much slower XP is that Win2K was."

On older hardware, absolutely true.

On newer hardware, absolutely not.

This isn't just my opinion. It was repeatedly verified for every version of software I helped create since XP's introduction.

I hear you on hesitating to move to another OS, though. You SHOULD be cautious. Here are a couple of things to keep in mind, though.

1) Adobe launched Premiere Pro on XP because Adobe NEEDED the power of that OS to do what they wanted Premiere to do.

You can guess from the recent Soundbooth beta that's available for WIn XP that their next release of the Production Studio will also support XP. And Mac as long as Apple says they get to...but we're talking about being forced to move to Vista. I don't think you will be at this point.

That said, with the optimizations that Adobe has always been about, my guess is that any Adobe apps will be much, much faster on Vista than XP.

2) Even with service packs included, Msoft changes OSes much more slowly than Apple does, and with far less disruption. You HAVE to do it that way when 90%+ of the world is counting on you.

Apple routinely tosses around software and hardware changes because they can. They don't do public betas like Microsoft does because they don't want you to know what's coming, or when it's coming. They answer to nobody but themselves.

3) Fact: Macs are slower.

I'm not talking about slower processing. Macs do indeed process pretty fast. Their *throughput* is dog-slow, though. Here at The COW, we would need at least 4, and maybe 6, Apple X Serves to simply equal the speed we have on EACH of our AMD servers.

I found the same thing with my OpenGL development. I created a whole series of OpenGL demos on Mac that I had to make 3-4 times longer on PC to compensate for the demos going 3 to 4 times faster, That is, my Mac demos ran so much faster even on older, slower, PCs that you literally couldn't even see what I was trying to show. And this was with software exclusively developed on Mac with NO optimizations for Windows.

Move to Mac and your OpenGL will be ridiculously slower. Opening apps is slower. Opening windows is slower. Timelines take longer to scroll. Displaying effects changes takes much longer. Literally everything you see on your screen will happen more slowly on Mac.

Think about what that means for editing. Not rendering -- both platforms do that just fine -- but *editing.* Every part of editing except for IO takes place on screen. Do you really want to move more slowly while you try to earn a living? When you have a choice to move faster?

Editing is about feel. After you've worked on Windows, you may never get your feel back on Mac because it will move so much slower than you're used to.

Now admittedly, I have a seriously muscular box, custom built for me by BOLData Systems. They'll make you one just like it. It's built around two Dual Core AMD Opterons, Processor 185 running at 2.61 GHz each. (If you've looked around, you know this blows any Intel chipset completely away.) It's got 3.25 GB of RAM. The video card is an ATI Radeon X1900 with 256 MB VRAM, running my 21" widescreen desktop at 1680x1050.

I have to tell you that running the Vista beta, this thing SCREAMS. I can't believe how much faster it is than XP. And as you've seen above, I find either XP or Vista dramatically more responsive than even the newest Macs...for less money.

I don't want to push too hard on the money point though. Regardless of platform, your investment in your computer will be rewarded. Just rewarded MORE if you buy AMD/ATI gear for Windows. :-)

Before I leave the topic of Vista, I think it's easy to create firm opinions about it that are less rooted in fact than in the potential disaster that comes with any OS update. There's HUGE potential for disaster. So while again emphasizing that I agree with caution....

...and as much as I hate to point people out of The COW...I highly recommend the Vista Myths blog at ZD Net. http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/

I think you'll find yourself put at ease, and maybe excited enough to do what I did and download the Vista beta to take it for a spin.

Not recommended for your professional editing box, of course. But that's one of the cool things about a public beta. You can take it for a jeapordy-free spin.

[ron moody] "Back to the reason for this post. You stated several things in your article, but ended focused on the Mac."

I apologize for going on at such length to answer your concise, clearly stated question, but I have one additional point to clarify.

While the "about the author" bit at the bottom said that I'm equally adept on Mac and Windows, that's sort of true on average -- I'm actually more adept on Mac (20+ years vs. only 7 on Win), but I vastly, vastly prefer Windows.

Having now removed every Mac from my life that I have the power to remove, I have no doubt that my Windows proficiency will grow fast. Maybe even as fast as my EDITING on Windows. :-)

A final reminder that in the context of the article as a whole, I came down hard on Apple. The highest grade I gave them was for "playing with themselves." I was observing that their relentless drive to get every other vendor off the platform will mean they're the only ones left...but I was also making a rude joke at their expense.

In the end, feel free to disregard everything I say. My experience may not be useful to you, and you may find my conclusions to be simply wrong. I'm used to it :-)

But really, truly, I wouldn't wish professional Mac video editing on anyone who has a choice.

My apologies for not making that clearer in the article.

Best,
Tim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]