CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

Where nobody knows your name...

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg QuitiquitWhere nobody knows your name...
by on Feb 28, 2006 at 8:22:02 pm

Boomer-
How come all of a sudden I keep having to reset my cookies (it's not as much fun as it sounds) whenever I want to post? Not that I have that much to say most of the time, but it's getting to be kind of a pain.

In what might be a related symptom, I keep getting asked to subscribe to the new magazine. I already subscribed the first time I heard about it.

Greg

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Eric BlissRe: Where nobody knows your name...
by on Mar 1, 2006 at 12:13:33 am

Hello Greg.

You are correct that the magazine page is related to your cookie problem. The system stores a cookie on your system telling us that you've seen that page, so every time that you reset your cookies, it forgets that you've already seen the page, and tries to show it to you again.

How long ago did you start having a problem with your cookies? Also, possibly related, have you installed any new programs on your system for cookie blocking, ad blocking, spy-ware blocking, etc? Sometimes some of these programs will cause issues with the system, since the cookies do store your name and e-mail address so it can auto-magically fill them in for you.

Eric Bliss

systems design and integration
CreativeCow.Net

int main(void) {
printf("Hello World!n");
}

Return to posts index

Greg QuitiquitRe: Where nobody knows your name...
by on Mar 1, 2006 at 12:31:06 am

[Eric Bliss] "How long ago did you start having a problem with your cookies?"

Hard to say. I've been a member since the old WWUG days, and still read the boards pretty much daily. But now days I hardly ever post. (Everybody else has apparently gotten smarter.) Besides, I doubt it's just cookies because I don't have to go through the reset drill everytime. For example, I didn't have to reset cookies to do this post.

[Eric Bliss] "have you installed any new programs on your system for cookie blocking, ad blocking, spy-ware blocking, etc?"

No. And again, I would think if there were any blocking going on, it would have made me reset before doing this post.

Greg Quitiquit

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Eric BlissRe: Where nobody knows your name...
by on Mar 1, 2006 at 1:37:12 am

Okay. Your first post just said that you were having to reset cookies every time you tried to make a post. Could you describe exactly what is happening that is causing you problems? You said it seems to have something to do with your attempts to post, but it also seems that it doesn't happen to you all the time.

We haven't made any major changes to the posting system in the past month or so, which is part of why I'm trying to figure out when this started for you. If it only started recently, it makes me think that the problems that you are having may be originating somewhere near your end of the connection - your computer, perhaps the network that you connect to the Cow through, etc. If that's the case, it's probably not going to be something I can fix.

So, if you could narrow down roughly how long this has been happening for you (few days, few weeks, more than a month), and describe exactly what the problem is that you are having, it'll help me figure out if it's something I can fix for you.

Return to posts index

Greg QuitiquitRe: Where nobody knows your name...
by on Mar 1, 2006 at 3:20:00 am

I'd say if you haven't changed anything in awhile, and nobody else is having this problem, it likely is on my end. This is the first time in a long time I've posted a number of times in rapid succession, so maybe the reason it's working every time for me now is I'm beating the expiration of your cookies. I use a number of other sites that depend on cookies (including some I have built) and I am not having any problems with them. By the way, when I sent in my last post, I got a page telling me I really should become a registered user.

I work for a large company that has to have a special, customized version of Windows and of Internet Explorer as well. And they are pushing out updates (transparently) to us all the time. Another thing is, we're required to keep the security screwed down pretty tight on I.E., and mixed zone sites like yours can cause it fits. This wouldn't be the first time any of this created issues with other than plain vanilla web sites. But like I said, I haven't been having any problems with the other sites I use that depend on cookies.

Greg Quitiquit

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]