CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

chronological listing

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pat Kingchronological listing
by on Nov 2, 2005 at 6:16:11 pm

I know that I have a lot of flexibility about how I view posts. But it seems to me that 99% of users accept the default display, which does not bring a thread back to the top when someone replies. What this means is that responses to posts more than a page or two down simply get ignored.

Would it be an idea to change the default so that as response to a 2week old post brought it back to the top?

Just my .02

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: chronological listing
by on Nov 4, 2005 at 3:06:18 pm

[Pat King] "I know that I have a lot of flexibility about how I view posts."

For those following this post, there are three different interfaces to work with here at the COW:
  • one, our default threaded view that most people use;
  • two, the date range filtered view that shows posts by when they are posted;
  • three, our topical view, which allows users to see the first post of a thread only -- so that they can see quickly the range of topics.
Each of these views then also supports a "view entire thread at once" function that allows users to see the whole thread quickly.

[Pat King] "But it seems to me that 99% of users accept the default display, which does not bring a thread back to the top when someone replies. What this means is that responses to posts more than a page or two down simply get ignored. "

Yes, the vast majority of users use the default threaded display.

We have thought about the issue of pushing threads back to the top when someone replies to an older thread but we think that would confuse many users and also make things look very screwed up. Also, for those who are concerned about this and like to know what is currently happening across all the site, the date range interface is written with that in mind.

We have talked about giving users a "subscribe to a thread" function so that if they are interested in a thread but aren't posting to it, they will get notices whenever someone adds to the thread.

Other than that, we aren't working towards doing anything within the realm of your request but we appreciate your feedback.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom
creativecow.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]