CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

The Cookie Crumbles

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron ShookThe Cookie Crumbles
by on Jul 27, 2005 at 5:34:44 pm

Eric,

Catchy, eh? (g)

I assume you are the excellent person to address on this issue.

BTW, we are all just loving the speed of the new server and the efforts that you-all have made to adjust the structure of the site to ensure that this speed will be with us for some time to come as the COW continues to grow.

With all the changes, we are having a probably inevitably quirky problem with the COW cookie that marks posts as read. Apparently, this is what is happening: When you first view an entire thread, read it, and mark it as read, any subsequent posts to that thread are automatically marked as read, even though you haven't even opened the post. Consequently, we are missing posts, and all of us are imagining that no one is responding. If our cookie is gonna crumble and err, we would rather it crumble in the opposite direction, i.e., leave posts marked as unread, even if they have been. (g)

Thanks for your attention,

Ron Shook


Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Eric Bliss"C" is for cookie, and that's good enough for me!
by on Jul 27, 2005 at 6:32:17 pm

Come on, everybody, sing along!!!

Aw, come on, there's gotta be at least a few other Cookie Monster fans out there. Sesame Street's been around since the dawn of time (or at least the last 30 years, which is close enough, since I'm only 27). :-)

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Ron. The fix for it should probably be in place a bit later this afternoon. (As long as I can stay focused on this.)

Eric Bliss

systems design and integration
CreativeCow.Net

int main(void) {
printf("Hello World!n");
}


Return to posts index

Ron ShookRe: "C" is for cookie, and that's good enough for me!
by on Jul 27, 2005 at 7:10:29 pm

Eric,

[Eric Bliss] "Thanks for bringing this to our attention Ron. The fix for it should probably be in place a bit later this afternoon. (As long as I can stay focused on this.)"

I have no doubt as to your focus, only your sanity. (g)

Thanks!

Will the "fix" involve any action on our part, like deleting the old cookie or some such, and if so, how to do it most efficiently?

Ron



Return to posts index


cowcowcowcowcow
Eric BlissRe: "C" is for cookie, and that's good enough for me!
by on Jul 27, 2005 at 7:58:15 pm

Okay, the fix is now 75% operational. The remaining 25% will come a bit later this afternoon when posting is slower, and I can slide the server time back in line with the rest of the world. (Seems the server is sneaking half an hour into the future again.)



As for what you'll need to do - posts you did have marked as read will now be showing as unread (due to the way the time is now encoded) - so you'll just want to re-mark the threads as being read. Once you do that, the system will distinguish posts that were made before you clicked the button, and those that were made after you clicked the button, and display them accordingly. Then, if you choose to go back and read the thread again, after more posts are made, just click the button again, and it will update the cookie's time, and the newer posts (up to that time) will also be marked as read -- ones made later will then be seen as unread.



Pretty cool, no?



As for being sane... I gave up on that years ago. Figured it would save time to just go mad and get it over with! :-)
Eric Bliss
systems design and integration
CreativeCow.Net
int main(void) {
printf("Hello World!n");
}


Return to posts index

Ron ShookRe: "C" is for cookie, and that's good enough for me!
by on Jul 27, 2005 at 8:44:21 pm

Eric,

[Eric Bliss] "Pretty cool, no?"

Very Much So. Thanks loads!

Ron



Return to posts index

Charlie KingRe: "C" is for cookie, and that's good enough for me!
by on Aug 1, 2005 at 3:59:08 pm

[Eric Bliss] "(Seems the server is sneaking half an hour into the future again.)"

I knew this new system was fast, but not it is going into the future? WOW.

Charlie


Return to posts index


cowcowcowcowcow
Eric BlissRe: "C" is for cookie, and that's good enough for me!
by on Aug 1, 2005 at 5:28:03 pm

Yep, it's a little known fact that AMD installs a flux capacitor on every new Opteron they sell. But, since it's a bit hard to get up to 88 miles an hour in the server room, all that actually happens is that time speeds up, it doesn't actually jump into the future. :-)

Eric Bliss

systems design and integration
CreativeCow.Net

int main(void) {
printf("Hello World!n");
}


Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]