CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

HTML in posts/emails

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Filip VanduerenHTML in posts/emails
by on Jul 26, 2005 at 1:34:14 pm

Hi All,

I like to post stuff wit HTML in it, but unfortunately it shows up in the e-mails, so it makes After Effects expressions and such less 'copy-pasteable'
Also, Sometimes the < character show up in emails correctly, sometimes as "&lt;"

So perhaps it would be better do to a kind of "striptags" on the posts before they're emailed.

Return to posts index

Chuck RetiRe: HTML in posts/emails
by on Jul 26, 2005 at 2:58:48 pm

Um, no, it would be better, always, to NOT use HTML for posts to any list or newsgroup.

Return to posts index

Filip VanduerenRe: HTML in posts/emails
by on Jul 26, 2005 at 3:11:11 pm

Well,

1. It's just easier for long lists
  2. It's the only way to embed Images in a post
  3. I like to use Fixed-width type in expression-source-code and color-code stuff

You know, just to make long posts or tutorials more legible.

Sorry about that ;-)

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: HTML in posts/emails
by on Jul 26, 2005 at 3:29:47 pm

Hi Filip,

We would love your feedback in getting the HTML features tweaked from your perspective. You tend to be the guy who uses this feature of the Cow the very most and so you would be a great one to give feedback on what you like and do not like.

We would love to work through the points that need refinement with you.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

by on Jul 26, 2005 at 10:25:06 pm

Hi Ron,

like I said, probably best to filter out all HTML-tags for the mail-system.

Also I noticed that special characters are not encoded in any way.
I think that could give problems on the Website when viewing on different platforms than the one it was posted on.
Don't know if you're viewing on a PC but on Mac it's:

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Eric BlissRe: HTML in posts/emails
by on Jul 27, 2005 at 12:02:05 am

Okay, I think it's gonna be a while before anywhere near this level of HTML intelligence will be achieved by the system. I can see that what we're talking about here isn't simply yanking out a couple of bold tags or href links every once in a while. So, in order to accomodate this, we'll be needing to find and integrate an existing HTML reader into the posting mechanism - that's gonna take a while. And, since this is hardly the only project in the list of projects to complete, I can't give you a time scale on just how quickly it can be done - or even for sure if it can be done to the level displayed in your post. We'll be looking at it, but don't expect a miracle today (or even this week, quite possibly).

And pay no attention to the gibbering coder in the corner, begging for the pain to end - he'll get over it. :-)

Eric Bliss

systems design and integration
CreativeCow.Net

int main(void) {
printf("Hello World!n");
}

Return to posts index

by on Jul 27, 2005 at 1:36:36 am

Hi Eric,

as for the Website,
If you could do a grep-replace like this on the text:
(this is in BBEdit's Grep dialect, which is I believe based on Perl)

Find:
(]*>s*)r+|r(s*]*>s*)r
Replace by

(here's the HTML version for the website):
Find:
(</?[^/>]*>s*)r+|r(s*</[^>]*>s*)r
Replace by

then do the r to BR-conversion then that would solve the whitespace problem in creating lists and such.
I've been testing it, and it seems to get all the offending newlines out while leaving alone others. It might still trip somewhere, so I'll keep on trying it on different kinds of source-code.

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: HTML in posts/emails
by on Jul 26, 2005 at 3:27:19 pm

Hi Chuck,

We understand your concerns but we have always developed the Cow mechanism to allow those who are savvy (like Filip) with HTML to be able to use it to make bulleted points, etc.

What Filip was referring to is the email notifications that are sent out to the leaders and members and which get very wierd when they are done second- and third-hand.

Best always,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Eric BlissRe: HTML in posts/emails
by on Jul 26, 2005 at 8:01:55 pm

So, just what would you suggest? Simply strip out anything found inside of a pair of angle brackets, or something a bit more complex? As far as the differences with the angle bracket character's display in e-mails, that's probably due to another HTML savvy person making a post.

Eric Bliss

systems design and integration
CreativeCow.Net

int main(void) {
printf("Hello World!n");
}

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]