CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

Something different?

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Les KayeSomething different?
by on Jun 22, 2005 at 12:54:17 am

Okay...what's changed? Did you reset cookies? I noticed that all formerly accessed posts are no longer marked as read, and my name is no longer noted in Red. More troubling...not all posts read now seem to show up as such correctly. Kinda like with the old funky Liquid forums.

Am I the first to notice this (didn't see any other posts). Checked other URLs and they seem to behave correctly. Or is this all just a test to see if we're paying attention.

TIA,
-Les

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Eric BlissRe: Something different?
by on Jun 22, 2005 at 1:02:45 am

What's changed?

Why the entire base of the system! We are now running on that Quad Operton you've heard so much about over the past few months as we've tried to get it ready. And now, it is running, with a new system serving up the pages as well.

Bear with us a for a bit as we smooth out the glitches. It's just something that happens when you flip the switch on something this big. We're working as fast as we can to fix it all. BTW, the issue about some posts not highlighting as read correctly - send me an e-mail detailing what your browsing setup is - we're trying to figure that one out.

Eric Bliss

systems design and integration
CreativeCow.Net

int main(void) {
   printf("Hello World!n");
}

Return to posts index

Post removed.

cowcowcowcowcow
by on Jun 22, 2005 at 6:20:19 pm

I have found the missing piece and it will be coded in shortly.

Thanks for catching this and for reporting it so we could add it back in.

Eric Bliss

CreativeCow.Net

int main(void) {
printf("Hello World!n");
}

Return to posts index

Leor BrenmanRe: Something different?
by on Jun 22, 2005 at 9:41:28 pm

Hi Eric,

Looking better.

Now I see and can use the << and >> to peruse the posts, 'however', when the new post is displayed the page is autoscrolled so that the <> controls are at the top of the page, i.e. I cannot see the advertisements on the top of the page. I hope I am dscribing this properly.

BR,
Leor

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
by on Jun 22, 2005 at 9:53:15 pm

Yep, you are. Unfortunately...

I've tried putting an anchor to the top of the page in the link to view the thread. But, for whatever reason, the browsers are overriding that anchor, and scrolling to the bottom of the page anyways. Can't say I've got a clue why, when I'm telling them to stay at the top, but there you have it. If I can figure this one out, I'll fix it, but I've already tried what SHOULD work. But you know how computers are...

Eric Bliss

CreativeCow.Net

int main(void) {
printf("Hello World!n");
}

Return to posts index

Post removed.

Leor BrenmanRe: Something different? - correction
by on Jun 23, 2005 at 2:02:11 pm

i think i had previous and next reversed in my post above.

anyway, please check the first post in the list and see what happens when you press Next and what happens when you press Next from there

hope I am no too confusing

BR,
Leor

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: Something different?
by on Jun 23, 2005 at 2:51:30 pm

[Leor Brenman] "When you are scrolling through posts using the "previous", when you go past the begining of the list, you go to a blank post. Is this your intention? I think the first post in the list should not have a "previous" link."

Hi Leor,

This is a spiritual, kinda "Zen thingie." To go back before all things, into the great timeless purity of eternity -- hence, the clear white page you get.

:o)

No, seriously, we will look into it today and thanks for your feedback, Leor. We appreciate your bug reports.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Leor BrenmanRe: Something different?
by on Jun 23, 2005 at 3:50:18 pm

Hi Ron,

Good answer. Reminds of a joke, whose punch line is "Make me one with everything". It involves a hot dog stand and a Zen Master.

BR,
Leor

Return to posts index

by on Jun 22, 2005 at 1:33:26 am

Hi Les,

Have your ears healed after going to the Porcupine Tree concert with me and Denver??? I think I read in the newspaper that two or three people suffered major lacerations and bruising from the sound waves eminating from the pounding of the kick drum -- one man, was treated at the scene and given 13 stitches to his chin when he mistakenly walked in front of one of the speaker columns as he returned to his seat. ;o)

But seriously, the quad Opteron

Return to posts index

Les KayeRe: Something different?
by on Jun 22, 2005 at 1:55:37 am

[Ron Lindeboom] "the quad Opteron

Return to posts index

by on Jun 22, 2005 at 2:54:47 am

Ssssshhhhhhh, Les. Quiet. You'll destroy the reputation that some have tried to foment regarding me as a callous, disrespectful, cold-hearted, unfeeling bigot who cares for no one but himself.

:o)

Just one of the smiling men with bad reputations,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Les KayeRe: Something different?
by on Jun 22, 2005 at 5:26:06 am

[Ron Lindeboom] "You'll destroy the reputation that some have tried to foment regarding me as a callous, disrespectful, cold-hearted, unfeeling bigot who cares for no one but himself."

Ron, not to worry - your repuration remains untouched...

Return to posts index

Gary TaylorRe: Something different?
by on Jun 22, 2005 at 11:20:26 am

Hi Ron,
Glad to see the upgrade has gone so well. I noticed the search engine has changed and the new advanced search only allows searchs back 3 months. How long do you think this will last? In the mean time I would expect to see more reduntant posts as people rehash topics posted outside that time period.
Thanks in advance and congrats,
Gary

Return to posts index

Gary TaylorOther problems with the search engine
by on Jun 22, 2005 at 11:59:29 am

Hi Ron,
Actually the advanced search has other problems. It doesn't allow searches by keyword for example. I know you guys might already know this but I thought I would post in case it wasn't known.
Thanks,
Gary

Return to posts index

Post removed.

Bob VickRe: Other problems with the search engine
by on Jun 23, 2005 at 1:23:20 am

Not sure that has been brought up but... when I select the "T" on a tread to see the posters on the left and the replies on the right, I don't see the posters on the left and part of the replies on the right, the first letter in each line, is cut off.

windows xp pro Mozillz Firefox

my family puter

b

Bob Vick sr promo guy @ ch3 wwmt tv, kalamazoo, mi

Return to posts index

by on Jun 23, 2005 at 1:32:01 am

Okay let me change my mind here. What I actually get when I click the "T" is the ad banner at the top, then the list of posters in a box upper left, upper right larger box empty, lower left box empty and lower right box has the threads. Main up/down scroll bar on the right main window and left/right scroll bar under the threads. Ad bar under all that. Main contents bar on the left.

b

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Eric BlissRe: Other problems with the search engine
by on Jun 23, 2005 at 5:58:20 pm

AH!!! I think I see what your problem is... What size is your screen? I'm gonna bet that it's an 800x600. The present threads interface was designed for use with a 1024 across screensize. Once you shrink it down too far, the browsers start doing weird stuff to it - which is what I think you're seeing. Try increasing your screen size, and I'll bet you the problem you're having will go away.

Eric Bliss

CreativeCow.Net

int main(void) {
printf("Hello World!n");
}

Return to posts index

by on Jun 23, 2005 at 8:40:05 pm

I will give this a try. But, I have been viewing the cow on this screen for sometime and this the first that the display has looked this way. Nothing changed on my end.

b

Return to posts index

Steven L. GotzRe: Other problems with the search engine
by on Jun 24, 2005 at 5:00:36 pm

OK. I must be missing something. I used to be able to mark the entire thread as "Read" when I used the thread view. Where is that done now?

Steven
Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 / After Effects 6.5 Pro http://www.stevengotz.com
Learning Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 http://www.lynda.com
Contributing Writer, PeachPit Press, Visual QuickPro Guide, Premiere Pro 1.5

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
by on Jun 24, 2005 at 5:19:29 pm

That tool is presently MIA...

We've had enough feedback on the new thread view that we're going to go back to the old style, and that's first on our list of things to do today. After that, we'll see about getting the mark as read feature rebuilt for the new system. It'll be back fairly soon, but not quite immediately. Just give us a little bit of time. Many people were having issues in general with the way the browsers were marking what posts were read, and we're eliminating those right now as well. We're also retuning the cookies themselves right now as well. It's all just part of what you expect to have happen when you switch servers and mechanisms at the same time. 3 major operating systems, times X different browsers for each... it's been a while since coding the user interface side was a simple task - there are more different browsing combinations out there than there are people working on the Cow Team - and there are a number of different ways to surf inside the Cow system itself - thread views, date views, summary views, individual posts, whole threads... you get the picture.

All that said, the "Mark as Read" tool will be coming back - we just need a little bit of time to get to it.

Eric Bliss

CreativeCow.Net

int main(void) {
printf("Hello World!n");
}

Return to posts index

Steven L. GotzRe: Other problems with the search engine
by on Jun 24, 2005 at 6:05:35 pm

Thanks. As long as it wasn't just me I can happily wait until you get everything done.

Steven
Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 / After Effects 6.5 Pro http://www.stevengotz.com
Learning Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 http://www.lynda.com
Contributing Writer, PeachPit Press, Visual QuickPro Guide, Premiere Pro 1.5

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
by on Jun 23, 2005 at 5:49:53 pm

how do you mean search by keyword? Any words you type in the text field of the red box are also used by the Advanced Search. RED boxes mean "This info MUST be filled out", GREEN boxes mean "You CAN fill this out, but you don't HAVE to."

Eric Bliss

CreativeCow.Net

int main(void) {
printf("Hello World!n");
}

Return to posts index

Bob VickRe: Something different?
by on Sep 8, 2005 at 9:17:06 pm

I am now viewing the cow on a new 23" apple display. Why am I seeing under construction words on the cow image and screen pixel information along the top?

very different

b

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
by on Sep 8, 2005 at 9:31:09 pm

Err... How did you get in here??? What you're seeing is the separate development system that's (obviously) Under Development. To get out of here, and back to the proper Cow system, look at the URL that's showing as your current location in your browser. Where you see /cgi-bin/dev_(something), change it to say /cgi-bin/new_(something). That will put you back in the normal, sane view. I guess I should make a link back to "normality" for anybody else who accidently wanders in here. Or, if you just go back out to the front page of the site, that should also fix it for you.

Go ahead and e-mail me directly with how you got in here, if you know.

Eric Bliss

CreativeCow.Net

int main(void) {
printf("Hello World!n");
}

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]