APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Creating Partition for FCP6 on 2012 MacBook Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Vince Waldron
Creating Partition for FCP6 on 2012 MacBook Pro
on Sep 7, 2019 at 9:52:41 pm

Hi,
I'm currently running the core FCP 6.0.5 app without issues on a 2012 MacBook that uses El Capitan 10.11.6. However, I need to access some of the FCP support apps, particularly Motion and Color, which do not work under El Capitan.

Based on what I've read in other threads on CC, I will probably need to create a partition on my MacBook Pro drive and create a bootable drive on that partition using an older Mac OS that will run the full FCP studio app, including Motion and Color.

In anticipation, I just purchased a much larger (2 TB) SSD for my MacBook and plan to swap it into my computer before I create the new partition. Once I've done that, does anyone have a recommendation of which older Mac OS I should install on my newly created partition. I assume I should load the most recent version of Mac OS that will run the full FCP studio suite. Since my computer was made in 2012, I'm guessing there won't be compatibility issues loading an older Mac OS on a discrete partitioned drive, right?

Also, how large should I make the partition? It will have to be big enough to hold the Mac OS plus FCP and its associated apps.

Once I get the FCP up and running on my partitioned drive, I plan to "save" my edited FCP files to my everyday drive that runs El Capitan. Is that crazy?

Thanks for any and all insights!

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]