APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Full FCP 7 Assault - Out of Memory, Dropped Frames, Playback Trouble suddenly.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mark Suszko
Re: Full FCP 7 Assault - Out of Memory, Dropped Frames, Playback Trouble suddenly.
on Dec 18, 2018 at 11:13:40 pm

I'm not an expert. I do know that the way you've set yourself up, the codec choices and whatnot, it's a more processor-intensive and RAM-intensive process than necessary, handling the format conversions and rendering. I think step one has to be, protect the assets, assuming you have no other back-ups. Get that stuff laid off to another drive, or whatever. Then get under the hood and start yanking on things. When your system has insufficient RAM for a task, it borrows space on the hard drive to act as virtual RAM. If the disk has too much stuff on it, or if some sectors of the disk are faulty and unavailable to the system, you could maybe run out of space. This used to be a common problem back in the day, but since you're running obsolete apps and formats, maybe it's not far off.

That fact that running disk repair clears it up, at least temporarily, suggests to me it's a mechanical problem and not software. But again, I'm no expert. Except in very rare cases, I've never known a sick drive to get better again, only worse.

Hey, have you changed or done anything with any of the cables lately? Has *anything* happened in or around this system between when you were running okay and when it started going bad? Power surge or brown-out, accidental re-start, new hardware added, old hardware moved or removed, no matter how insignificant it seems? Any software updates done manually or automatically in the background? Did you say all this stuff was in Time Machine and "grafted" into a new (er) macbook? Have you sprinkled the blood of a chicken over the drive enclosure? Anything?

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]