APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Do I need to update software/hardware for downloading/editing smartphone videos?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Shane Ross
Re: Do I need to update software/hardware for downloading/editing smartphone videos?
on May 26, 2018 at 9:46:38 pm

If you want to edit current video formats, then you'll need more current software than something 8-10 years old. You might be able to get away with editing that video on FCP 6 or 7...but you'll need to convert that video first to ProRes. To do that...to connect the phone to the computer and offload it and convert it to ProRes...you'll need a newer OS, and newer apps to do this. And that might require newer hardware.

To edit those videos without converting them, you'll definitely need newer software and hardware...Premire Pro or FCX (although with Cel Phone video, you'll still need to "optimize" in FCX...and unless you have high end hardware to decode the video on the fly in Premiere...it's best to convert it to an editing codec.)

But I do think that you should update your hardware and software to something more current to stay with current workflows and camera formats. You'll be struggling to get work done with what you currently have. A more current iMac (2015 or so) and either FCX (one time purchase of $300....all updates free) or Premiere...which you rent for $80 a month (with ALL the other apps) or DaVinci Resolve (free for video up to HD, $300 for the ability to work with 4K or higher...but all updates free). WHICH one you choose is up to you...they all have trial periods, or are free...so you can see what you like best.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]