APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: RE-LINKING TO PRORES (or LT or HQ) FOR GRADING & HD EXPORT

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Shane Ross
Re: RE-LINKING TO PRORES (or LT or HQ) FOR GRADING & HD EXPORT
on Jan 24, 2017 at 6:09:54 pm

[Michael Brown] "In order to work smoothly with a lot of multicam editing (frequently up to 9 angles), I transcoded all my footage to ProRes Proxy (1080p),"

HOW did you accomplish this? Log and Transfer? Compressor? Other third party app?

[Michael Brown] " should I transcode all my footage to ProRes HQ or LT or just plain ProRes (422?)"

Given that most of your footage was shot AVCHD and H.264, ProRes 422 and even LT would be fine for your purposes. Both are 10 bit. ProRes HQ is 10 bit as well, but when it comes to 8-bit sources, you get zero benefit over ProRes 422...only 50% larger file sizes. And you are delivering to the web, so LT or 422 will be fine. But you have some ProRes files there as well, from a Black Magic camera..but the source is LT...so going to 422 won't improve anything. Perhaps sticking to LT would be fine.

[Michael Brown] "first and then go through my grading, or will my grading results in Proxy be taken over satisfactorily in LT or HQ?"

If you grade in the timeline, and relink to ProRes 422 files, the effects should carry over and look fine, if not identical.

[Michael Brown] "2nd question: is there a simple and secure way to have only the footage used in a timeline or sequence automatically transcoded to newer high-def files and then re-link only specific sequences or timelines (for ex. using media manager?"

Yes...but ONLY if you used Log and Transfer within FCP. You'd media manage by using the MAKE OFFLINE option...with handles. And then batch capture. But if you converted with EditReady, or Compressor, or other outside of FCP app, then you'll need to convert the FULL files again, and reconnnect.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]