APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

RE-LINKING TO PRORES (or LT or HQ) FOR GRADING & HD EXPORT

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Michael Brown
RE-LINKING TO PRORES (or LT or HQ) FOR GRADING & HD EXPORT
on Jan 24, 2017 at 4:02:43 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have just finished a 1hr music doc using about 35 hrs of footage (x 3 to 7 cameras meaning maybe 150 hrs + all in all) on fcp7 and Yosemite on an iMac.

In order to work smoothly with a lot of multicam editing (frequently up to 9 angles), I transcoded all my footage to ProRes Proxy (1080p), and that was the right choice that my iMac and fp7 could handle quite well.

I did all my edits, transitions, effects, titles, basic! grading and subtitles on timelines in 1080p Proxy sequences, and now it's time to finetune grading and export to the best possible quality. My goal for the time being is an h.264 file (primarily for full HD Vimeo purposes), the 60 minutes not exceeding about 3.5 Gb.

My question is: should I transcode all my footage to ProRes HQ or LT or just plain ProRes (422?) first and then go through my grading, or will my grading results in Proxy be taken over satisfactorily in LT or HQ? And which of these formats will give me the best export results taking my source footage below into consideration?

2nd question: is there a simple and secure way to have only the footage used in a timeline or sequence automatically transcoded to newer high-def files and then re-link only specific sequences or timelines (for ex. using media manager?), or should I go manually using EditReady?

My source footage is about 1/2 AVCHD (various Sony cams > .mtx files), 1/4 .mov files from GoPro Hero 3 cams, the rest being either h.264 (from Panasonic) or ProRes 422 LT (Black Magics).

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but maybe someone would be kind enough to help me get this thread started.

Thanks and best from Hamburg!

Michael Brown

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]