APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Settings for Feature Film Edit? (Switching from Premiere to FCP 7)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Matt Wilson
Settings for Feature Film Edit? (Switching from Premiere to FCP 7)
on Jan 11, 2017 at 7:21:56 am

Hi,

I thought I'd ask some advice regarding setting up a feature film edit. I'm used to the world of Windows and Premiere Pro, but am now editing a feature in Final Cut Pro 7 on a MacBook Pro. (Original footage has all been converted to Apple PRORES 422.) I'm used to getting projects started properly with settings within Premiere Pro as well as general computer settings, but wanted to see what the best settings are for FCP 7 and Apple/Mac computers. Film may end up with final export on anything from DCP, Cable/Broadcast, Internet etc. My goal of course is to make sure I have settings set to maximize and safeguard image quality etc. So I have 3 questions:

1) In terms of the computer itself - what settings and preferences would you recommend for a feature film edit?

2) Within Final Cut Pro 7 itself - what overall settings, project settings, and sequence settings would you recommend?

3) In the event a DCP is needed, is the Apple PRORESS 422 adequate, or will significantly better quality be achieved by taking the original footage and converting that to 4444 quality and replacing with that 4444 footage for the DCP being created?

I had looked around for some discussion on this, and many older posts had pointed to Shane Ross' Getting Orgranized DVD, but the links were no longer active. I'm hoping to get some good advice to make sure my setup maintains the very best quality throughout the process. All feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]