APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCP 6-7 meets El Capitan

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Declan Smith
Re: FCP 6-7 meets El Capitan
on Dec 21, 2015 at 10:52:24 am

As there are many differing opinions on whether you should upgrade or not and no clear "yes it works, no it doesn't" answer, I would suggest that you try it out for yourself on your setup, but by first ensuring you have a cast iron way back to your existing setup if it doesn't work. There are many ways to do this but my suggestion would be:

1. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to make an entire bootable copy of your existing system drive to an external drive.
2. Boot to the external drive to ensure it is working.
3. Shutdown you machine, and unplug the external drive.
4. Boot up your machine as normal and upgrade it to El Capitan.
5. Try out all your software including FCP7, if it all appears to work, great, mission accomplished, but if it doesn't, just plugin in your backup drive, reboot to it, and carbon copy clone it back to your original system drive.

A variation on this would be to create a blank bootable drive and install a new copy of El Capitan (as opposed to upgrade), then install each of your software packages so you know whether you can get an El Capitan FCP7 system built from 1st principles. In every case, always ensure you have a full bootable backup of your existing system.

I personally have more than one bootable partition for this very reason so I can test myself what works and what doesn't, and I have an instant way back to a known working state. In my case I still have one or two things that need Rosetta, and therefore have a Snow Leopard Partition, but I find I boot into that less and less these days as 98% of my apps work in a higher OS version.

Declan Smith
http://www.madpanic.tv
After Effects CS6/ FCS3 / Canon XLH1 / Canon 7D / Reason / Cubase

"it's either binary or it's not"

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]